Apple cider vinegar and glycemic index?

i've been reading that acv lowers the gi of foods. has anyong else heard this? do you use acv?

a few links

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinegar (under the medical uses heading)

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/applecidervinegardiet/a/applecidervineg.htm

hmmm....if this is true, why aren't we all doing it?

i'll be chugging some acv before meals for now on.

Apple cider vinegar has many health benefits including better glucose control . But the vinegar must be raw . Distilled vinegar in acid forming in the body but raw will not cause acidosis.
read Bragg’s book on apple cider vinegar .
I put a tbs of acv in a glass of water and drink it before meals or I eat a salad with acv and olive oil.

Always make sure to brush you teeth to protect them from acid of the vinegar.

and does it really make a difference? do the bgl’s really even out?

this would take care of the pizza high that messes everyone (who eats pizza) up.

i’ll definitely grab the braggs and the bragg book. with the braggs, do you shake it each time you use it? or do you avoid the mother? i can never figure that out and my instict is to avoid it…lol…it looks unappetizing.

<<hmmm…if this is true, why aren’t we all doing it?'>>

Either because we’ve never heard of it or because it’s not true.

According to this article, two teaspoons of acv before bed lowered morning BG levels by 4 to 6%. That was a study done on a whopping sample of eleven (11) people with Type 2 diabetes. Eleven! Wow!

I happen to have some acv around and I use it when called for in a recipe. I really doubt that taking it will hurt me. But the claims made for it sound like snake oil to me.

Hope it works out for you, though.

Terry

It does, and studies have proved it… But only for Type 2’s, and only for starchy foods… It didn’t work well, in the study, for Type 1’s. (And yes, the study was larger than 11 people).

It works for me, but usually only on baked french fries…

I only used it to trap fruit flies, to me stinks and smells foul but it does work great on trapping fruit flies. If it only works for type 2s I rather go for a15 minute walk and drop those points that to drink funky vinegar.

I’ve heard it and I believe it is based on the fact that it does lower the glycemic index of the starch by breaking it down. I don’t understand how it would be different on Type 1 vs Type 2, isn’t it a chemical reaction on the food? Why would the reaction of vinegar on foods be different between people even non diabetics?

Yeah, I don’t go crazy with vinegar. lol I only got lucky cus, thanks to a steak house we had in Puerto Rico that made a vinegar type dip with seasonings, for steak fries, that I enjoy that combo… and I always made it at home cus I enjoyed it. lol Then later I found out it was better for me. hahaha

Thanks for reminding me. My wife also reminded me that i makes great bait for fruit fly traps.

What it does is lower the glycemic index.

Good queston Barb. I wonder.

Just to clarify though, when you break down starch, you are releasing glucose. If you break it down faster, you release glucose faster and cause BG to rise faster.

The idea is that taking vinegar with starchy foods actually inhibits the breakdown of starch, which begins in the mouth. The acid in vinegar inhibits the enzymes in saliva that break down the starch into glucose.

Like you said though, not sure why it wouldn’t work with T1s as well.

i’m going to give it a try and see what happens. more even levels aren’t a bad thing, and if it achieves that then no loss.

i don’t get fruit flies :expressionless:

Okay , you haven’t heard of it… so that makes it not true? Simple try it . You said it ,“it won’t hurt me” ,and it is cheap . Put it to the test.

What it does is change the chemistry of how starches are digested by the body… It doesn’t just “lower” a glycemic index. It will not work with anything else but starches.

There are so many health benefits with ACV beyond glucose control . You will get use to the “mother” . Many of these studies are done with T2’s because they out number us and more research goes there but doesn’t mean that there isn’t benefits for T1’s .

Often you will see ACV included for weight lose in non diabetics because of the low GI. While we who are T1’s don’t worry about the same issues as T2’s and non-diabetics but lowGI can help protect arteries from the damage of AGEs .

o

4.9 , I’m impressed! Keep up the good work!!!

don’t just look at you glucose readings ;look at your A1c result.

thanks joe…i went out and got a bottle of the braggs. i’m really looking forward to seeing what it does. i hope its remotely as wonderful as what i’ve been reading!

I’m T1 & raw apple cider vinegar did nothing for me. I was skeptical that it would, but figured it was worth a try since I had some. I also tried acv capsules because my mother-in-law sent me some. Cinnamon also did nothing.

Low GI diet has shown to help prevent complacation from diabetes in the long run. If ACV is helping in lower GI ,Ithink its worth it.