Are we sometimes our own worst enemies?

Do non-diabetics sometime see us as having something similar to being left-handed? Or at worst, needing glasses to correct a vision impairment?

Do they see us as having something along those lines, rather than as having something so serious and deadly?

Is it because we have tried so hard, used technology so much, just to fit in, to assimilate, to achieve?

We know how quick and devastating lows can be. Some of us know how brutal the long-term, and sometimes short-term, complications are.

Why does there seem to be such a disconnect in this era of openness and toleration, between what we deal with as diabetics daily and how we are perceived by the public? And does it take away from the drive to find a real cure?

I have been told many times by people who don't know much about diabetes that I must be so used to it at this point it's like brushing my teeth. Uuuuummmm. Not really.

I think you're onto a very important line of questioning in this post, Diabetic Dad. How do we embrace the advances in diabetes care and encourage people with diabetes to thrive, while maintaining the message to the public that diabetes is an incredibly difficult and dangerous condition deserving of much attention? It's something we talk about at Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Emily,
It's like half the people want to have pity on us and the other half want to look down on us and "tsk, tsk" us.

For all the celebrities and notable figures who have shown the public what we can do and what we can be, the public still doesn't seem to get it.