Asante Snap Shuts Down

http://www.snappump.com/blog/Important-Announcement-from-Asante-Solutions

Fri, 05/15/2015 - 15:50 – Gil Bautista
We regret to inform you that as of Friday, May 15, 2015, Asante Solutions, maker of the Snap Insulin Pump, will be closing our doors and the company will no longer be in business. If you are a Snap user, please contact your healthcare provider with any clinical questions you have. For questions about your pump supplies, please contact the distributor that has been shipping your supplies.

If you are interested in transitioning to a new pump, we suggest you call Animas to learn more about the new Animas Vibe, which is integrated with Dexcom CGM. Animas is graciously offering a limited time offer to all existing Snap users to transition to the Animas Vibe pump. If you are interested in learning more, simply call 1-877-937-7867 x1562.

We sincerely regret this situation.

Asante Solutions

This is terrible news. Literally TODAY I had put together my paperwork to start the SNAP trial. :frowning:

I feel very sad about all the people who lost their jobs.

What happened? So sudden and no explanation. I had just switched over but at least my old pump is still in warranty. I’ll be sad to switch back though.

This is devastating. So many good people are now umemployed. That’s the worst part for sure. And, although not nearly as traumatic as the loss of this great team at Asante, I feel the agony of a set back in innovation. This pump was such a huge step ahead for diabetes pump technology. It sickens me that this advancement will be gone. And then there is the real personal hit – what pump do I choose next?!

1 Like

So true. Their sales rep was the best I’ve ever worked with, and I’ve had pumps or pods from five different companies over 15 years. I’m really wondering why it was so abrupt.

Wow! That was fast. How long was the Snap available? I can’t help but think the writing may have been on the wall for the company at least a month ago when it pulled its IPO plan:

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/blog/techflash/2015/04/asante-solutions-is-latest-to-pull-its-health.html

Well that complicates things, doesn’t it. Just three months after switching to these guys. I guess I can go back to Medtronic–my pump’s still under warranty, but there were reasons I switched f’r cripesake.

The email offers some kind of deal with Animas. Attraction there is they have great integration with Dexcom, and I JUST got one of those, but I don’t know anything else about the Vibe. Do they use pre-filled cartridges? Will my insurance carrier support yet another change after such a short time? Crap.

What a horrible thing to read about!

I just called the Animas number. They don’t know what the deal is going to be yet, just take your contact info down and say someone will call you back when they figure it out.

No, the Vibe wont get you pre-filled (does anyone have those anymore? I think not). I love my Animas pump. I guess the insurance companies are going to have a lot of paperwork and things to figure out on this one. Not a good deal for anyone.

1 Like

Manny, Clemma, Donna, and the rest of you who used or were planning on using the Snap Pump. I was about to sign up for the trial too I had a version of the old unit that worked superbly. The menus were nice and easy as well as being nicely laid out.

I was so happy to see them hit the market with such an excellent pump especially for a beginner like me. To waste all my time choosing a pump and have it pulled off the market both suprises and aggravates the hell out of me. I wonder if it would be possible to offer them ½ ¼ price for one of their old unsold stock of devices.

I heard about this from the Tandem Rep who told me he had some news about Asante that I might want to look at before going with the Snap. I said sure and was surprised at the news I thought they’d still be able to use some of the pumps. I take one off them without a support team because I knew so much about it from reading the manual and from my trial dry run on using the pump while MDI-ing the bolus and basals I set. Thas and I had long discussions about it during late night chats.

After hearing the news I contacted my Snap Trainer and she confirmed the news. She was a great rep and I feel so sorry that she lost her job like that. I originally thought they were being greedy and trying to replace staff with digital marketing campaign which must have cost a ton of money.

The prefill Idea is one of the best things out there. If they allowed people to buy the Pen inserts which is all the prefill containers from asante were anyone could easily buy those for use in that pump and even others if those companies had the same great idea.

I was even thinking of Getting one so I could say I was one of the few and proud who had used it. I hope that another company can buy the rights to use the patent or take over management and save what could have been a great company if it lasted.

What’s going to happen to all the unsold units are they going to disassemble or waste them? I was just in the process of customizing mine. I applaud all the work the company did to battle the big 3 Animas Minimed and Omnipod who have been around for many years. I may have to go with Tandem now not a bad selection but definately a 2nd place to Asante because of the waste of having to manually fill the device.

I pray they can be saved and am sorry I wasn’t able to officially use one.
As you can see by the length of this post I am not to happy with the state of things at Asante.It seems their neck has been SNAP-ped

RIP ASANTE

Mik

1 Like

I’ve been using a Snap since November 2013. I’m heartbroken for all of the amazing people at that company and for the tech and innovation lost. This feels like Cozmo all over again.

1 Like

I’m also disappointed that a promising technology company shut it’s doors. But we also have to realize they were a startup competing against big and seriously entrenched companies. The barrier to entry into the market was very high and I didn’t even mention the FDA. And the writing was on the wall if you looked closely. They had filed for an IPO but withdrew the IPO at the end of March. When your investors are venture capitalists and the IPO falls through that does not bode well. I hope that helps explain how this may have happened.

1 Like

I worked in a medical-related biotech instruments firm for a while and still have some close friends in that world. Let’s just say there are a lot of brilliant people with really innovative patents and egomaniacal self-confidence combined with no business sense whatsoever, leading to a lot of smart-looking companies that go poof! when their venture cap runs out. That may not exactly be the story here, but it’s not an altogether surprising development in that field. Still sucks to have gotten caught in it.

I switched to a Snap in early March and I noticed a few things that seemed a little flakey in their tech support area. Like being generous to the point of absurdity with replacement stuff. In particular, in April they sent me a brand new pump controller–the core of the system and most expensive part–that I didn’t need and hadn’t asked for, and when I told them they basically said “No big deal why don’t you just keep it.” Equally strange, though maybe not so strange, I just received my next box of insulin cartridges, and the day after it arrived I got a call saying I was due for a refill and did I want them to go ahead and send it. Wish I’d said “Yes go ahead!” instead of telling 'em they’d called me last week and I just got a box of 'em.

Almost feels like they were doing their best to dump supplies to us in anticipation of what everyone must have known was coming when the IPO failed. I’d like to think so anyway–they were really nice people who made a very user-centered, user-friendly device. But either way I ended up with enough of everything to keep me going until I get switched over to something else. A couple of months’ worth at least.

1 Like

Was talking during pump training the other day, about what you would do if you only used 200 units a week. Not sure if it meant dumping insulin in the trash with those cartridges?

Well this just sucks. I even help the Asante Sales rep with a client as well. The other issue is I traded my tSlim in. So I don’t have a pump to go back to. So when my supplies are up I’ll either have to go back to MDI (Don’t ever want to) or get another pump.

I emailed the rep to see what was done with my old tSlim. Can only hope I can get it back.
Otherwise I just called Animas and they’ll have an Internal Sales Rep call me back. I’ll let you know what I hear after that happens. I can only hope they’ll offer us the same deal as they’re offering the One Touch Ping users now. $99 to upgrade if in Warranty. Let’s all hope that it’s the same for us.

I love love love love love this pump. The weight. The fast changes. The well laid out menu. The ease of use. I loved everything about it. Good luck to all of you.

I was excited to start using SNAP because my entire Doctor’s office patients were using their original pumps or got caught up in the Touchscreen revolution of the Tandem TSlim. I don’t know why the other companies continue to require extra user effort and time to refill the insulin reservoirs. It seems like Ping or vibe could easily use the glass prefilled insulin tubes used in all the pens like Snap was using. Hopefully that idea isn’t locked into the patent. Funny thing is I had just customized mysnap through the browser app which is still working see www.snappump.com/mysnap to check it out.

It’s a pretty cool site that shows a 3d dynamic preview of the pump while allowing you to customize colors of the buttons and the surrounding chamber. Now it doesn’t allow all combinations to be used but the dynamic zoom pan and spin is nicely done.

I’ll see if they ship it to me I’d want to be able to use it as long as supplies exist then switch to the Tandem or Omnipod when Snap has run dry. I don’t want to see them wasting the already created supplies just because the parent company went under. :frowning:

Also I can return it after trying it out if unsatisfied and use the more water proof IPX6-7 pumps Snap is/was only IPX5.

Laura, You can actually use the pump bodies for longer than 7days as long as they still have battery power. You’d still need to stay up with your infusion site changes every 2-3 days. I signed up for the Demo and since I wasn’t using insulin I was allowed to pretend I was using insulin to get acquainted with Temp Basals or using empty profiles and faked Audio, Timed, Combo boluses. Since I was doing my injections via pen I had basals covered by Detemir or Glargine Insulin using Pens/Vials.

Even if your battery ran out on the pump body you can use the prefilled vials just as you would Insulin Vials. In fact you don’t even need to inject air in to equalize pressure like you do for the vials. This is because normal Air pressure from atmosphere will cause the rubber stopper to be pushed into the vacuum created when withdrawing the insulin. with a needle.

Mike

The infusions sets come in pairs. One is a full set with the tubing and connector and one is just the cannula and adhesive patch. After 3 days you stick on the second one in a new location, unclip the tube from the first one and clip it into the second, and you keep on going. You could conceivably do that a third time if your daily dose was low enough, though you might end up short of the cannula-only ones by the end of the month. Alas, it’s all moot anyway.

Thanks. I actually just surprised myself an went on Accu chek’s combo pump. But the Snap person was Emailing me their offers, which I could never use due to Humalog allergy. Update: I ended up sending the Accu chek pump back and thankfully have returned to my Ping. Now I only hope I can one day afford a new Ping with warranty. Never be afraid to take a company up on the 30 day trial and you probably shouldnt buy unless they offer that.