Automode 770 insulin pump

I have been on Automode for 3 weeks and I am still having lows throughout the night where I need to drink juice. I confirm it with my meter. How long should it take for automode to learn my patterns? I really want this system to work. Can anyone help me?

Dee,

I had the same problem my first couple of weeks in AUTO on the 670G. I have the same rates mentioned below now in my 770G.

You may need to have your basal pattern looked at. Mine are split so that I don’t get quite as much basal insulin in the early morning hours. That essentially cured my few issues with night time lows on AUTO.

For instance, mine look like this currently:
00:00 - 03:00 = 1.10 U/hr
03:00 - 06:00 = 1.30U/hr
06:00 - 11:00 = 1.25 U/hr
11:00 - 24:00 = 1.35 U/hr

Hi, we did that. My normal basal at night is at .050. We changed it to.025. You can’t go any lower. Maybe I need to alternate 0.00 with.025 every other hour. I might just try it myself. How does automode use your basal program.? I get really sensitive in the warmth of summer. I guess I will give it a few days and see how it goes. I really want this pump to work for me. It gives me a piece of mind that my basals are being adjusted without having to fast. I am only 90lbs so I can’t afford to not eat.:blush:

You can also try stretching the amount of time of active insulin. It may be at 3, 3.5, 4 - if you stretch it by 30 minute you may find a little less sensitivity.

You might also change the crab ratio starting with your 5PM or later bolus. Which I think is in your sensitivity setting.

I always tell people that it will take 3- 4 weeks for the automode to feel like it is working well. I know I have used automode for about 4 years and I am still amazed at the things i learn.

One more thing, be sure and make incremental changes. I know it is frustrating but do not do what i do and go gonzo on my settings. Sometimes small changes can make a very big difference.

rick

Thankyou. You gave me some good information. I am willing to stick with it for a bit longer. My DEA uses automode. When I see that it takes more effort to keep my numbers good w/o any improvement it is time to take a serious look at things. When we changed my night basal to.025 she said it would take about 3-4 days to see any changes. Last night I still had to get up and drink juice. I really don’t want to change my carb factor for supper as my bloodsugar has seemed to be okay. I guess I will keep trying. My manual basal rates look like this: 12a-5am.050 5a-9a 150 9a-4p .075 4p-9p.125 9p-12a .025. I am on very little basal insulin. I was doing better when it was cooler but now that the summer warmth has come I am very sensitive.

D’Etta Meloche

I thought it over and I decided to turn automode off. I went back to my manual settings and carb ratios. I didn’t feel very safe and not being in control bothered me. At least my pump will suspend before low. I can always try again. Maybe throughout the winter when I am not so sensitive. The first 2weeks on automode was better than how I am doing now. We’ll see.

D’Etta Meloche

I am going to try using automode during the day and turn it off around 9pm for bed until Ifigure something else out.