Best Insulin for Omnipod?

I am currently on humalog with the Omnipod dash. My insurance company is switching from UHC to CVS Caremark for meds. They do not cover the humalog anymore. What are my options as fast acting insulins that are better or equilvalent to humalog? So I can see if its covered by my new insurance. I always thought humalog is a little to slow for pump.

1 Like

I have a Humalog allergy so I’ve not ever been able to switch. There ias a small difference with Novolog, which some people notice and some do not. It’s always been a little more durable than Humalog was for me, when I did try it. And of course now there are a few other insulins on the market. Will they not pay for generic Humalog?

From the Omnipod 5 manual:
1.4. Compatible Insulins
The Omnipod 5 ACE Pump (Pod) is compatible with the following U-100 insulins: NovoLog®, Humalog®, and Admelog®.

Next search the 2024 Formulary document for the new plan (I recommend getting the PDF version and using ctrl-f or apple-f for Find) for those three insulins.

With that info you can then go talk to your doctor about what the best treatment decision is for you.

Having used Caremark for a couple of years in the past I’d shop for a different plan and be okay with spending <$1000 more a year to avoid them.

I used Humalog for a long time, tried Novolog for a while, found it erratic and unpredictable so went back to Humalog. Switched to Admelog and like it far more than Humalog. Seems to work faster and has more predictable results for me.

I’ve had to switch between Humalog and Novolog at least twice due to insurance changes (including one time when my insurance company decided to switch what it would support). Fortunately I couldn’t detect any differences.
—Keith

I’ve been using Fiasp with my Omnipod 5 for several months. I’ve had no issues.

I too had to change from another pharmacy provider to CVS Caremark and had to choose a different insulin option. I opted for Novolog and perceive no difference between it and the Humalog I had used previously (with Omnipod 5). I have been very satisfied with CVS Caremark - accurate order fulfillment and very fast delivery.

I have been on Medicare for four years with CVS Caremark Silverscript as my drug plan. Sadly, as of January 1, 2024, CVS Caremark Silverscript will no longer cover Novolog. I had to change insurance providers and go to Walgreens to continue with Novolog.