BG Spike

Ok, so I tested my sugar last night before bed at 11:21pm and it was 91. This morning my fasting number was 229 at 8:30am. I have had pretty normal numbers in the morning and am wondering why I had the spike.

I use the OmniPod pump. I also broke my hand this past weekend and am taking some pain killers. Could this spike be attributed to the broken bone? Pain meds? Or should I be concerned that my pump in not working optimally?

My husband and I are tying to get pregnant and want to make sure I am compensating appropriately.

Any information you can give me is greatly appreciate.

Sarah

You might need to look at other factors. For example what you ate for dinner, and what time dinner was eaten compared to your bedtime BG.
If I ate chinese or mexican (or pizza for that matter) around 7 or 8 pm, I could have a BG of 91 at 11:20 that night b/c the food had not emptied entirely from my stomach...the quick acting insulin I gave with the dinner bolus wears off, and then the rest of the food finally hits my blood stream, so my BG creeps up and I wake up with a BG of 230.
That's just an example of one plausible explanation.

Regarding the drugs--painkillers shouldn't necessarily have a large impact on your BGs, but if you happen to be taking some sort of steroid medication (or if you injured yourself and received a cortizone shot, for example), then that would definitely have an impact on your BGs.

If you have consistently been fine the past few weeks with your waking BG, then I'd look at food or a pod issue (like you mentioned) as possible culprits.
Hopefully your BGs get back to where you want them and that hand heals up soon!

Thank you Bradford. I bolus after dinner at 7:27, but did indulge in half a small Philly Cheese-steak for dinner. So I bet that is it. Will make sure tonight is something healthier and see how the morning number is.

I really appreciate your feedback. I have been T1 for about 8 years, on the pump for around 5, but have admittedly not been the best at monitoring or learning the ins and outs of all foods reactions in my body. I know a lot, but it always seems that once I think I have it down, I realize I don't. :-(

No worries! As much as I think I "know", I still manage to let it get the best of me sometimes (for example the "example" above was a real scenario for me last week after I ate some pei-wei for dinner...was fine going to bed but woke up a little over 200 the next morning, and had to get up once in the night to pee--a giveaway that I should have checked my glucose b/c I rarely get up in during the night).
The protein/fat combo from the philly cheese steak might have done it to you. Not positive, but it's definitely a possible culprit :)
Next time you go to eat something like that, you might try either a dual wave (combo) bolus, or you might try setting an alarm to get up a few times during the night to track the progress of your BGs. Not something I'd recommend doing every night, but it's always good to do every now and again so you can get a better idea of how certain foods hit your system. Then you can make adjustments so that in the future perhaps you can eat that same meal, bolus normally, and then perhaps turn your basal enough to 125 or 150% for 4-5 hours (maybe that's enough extra insulin to take care of the slow release).

Good luck w/ working on the baby possibility too! Definitely an exciting time for you and your husband :)

It's very much what you eat. Pain killers won't themselves do much, but can make the effect worse. As the pain meds wear through their cycle, the effect on the liver also affects how the body treats metabolisms. As far as what you eat, high fat meals (like a Philly) have an affect of first making you too low or at least low in general, then raising your BG much higher many hours later. The Omnipod's "extend" feature for boluses is made just for that. A little now, and more later. Talk to your doctor office about the best methods for using that feature. But even that can't help 100% for the morning highs depending on what you eat. It does help though. Keep the fats as low as possible if you can.

Best advice I can give, follow any "pregnancy diet" as well as you can now and especially after the good news comes. Lean toward fruits and vegies and balance your protiens carefully. Good luck!

The frustration of the "blood sugar mystery" is a ubiquitous challenge for people with diabetes. Unfortunately it's not the fast acting carbs that can influence sugars 12-24 hours later as much as it is the protein.

Did you have a higher protein dinner? Also, FWIW - certain types of food can cause a delayed spike in sugar. For example: Chinese food. A lot of the vegetables tend to slow the rise in bG but eventually, it all gets accounted for in the blood.

I hope this helps. For the most part, 27 years with T1D and I'm still constantly guessing at this. But these are some things I've seen to influence bG spikes hours later.

Thank you all!! This is great information. I am glad I found this website.

I had Gastric Bypass the same year I was diagnosed. Actually it was during my pre-op blood work. T2 at the time and seemed to go away as I lost weight but came back and was confirmed T1. I always wonder if the difference in my digestion effects it as well.

It sounds as though you have it figured out, but FYI....High fat is a very likely culprit, but hormones can also play a part in that sort of scenario. The week before is notorious for seemingly unexplained highs. Also an irritation at the infusion site can cause that, by my experience. In either case, you would have a high reading more than once. I could have written that 2nd paragraph of yours...same time frame dealing with this and being on the pump! And...always being taken by surprise and always learning. Good luck to you. Keep us posted! I can't wait to hear about your baby!