Books for Depression

Anyone know of any good books to read that help with depression? I have been battling back and forth with this for a couple years now and it is taking its toll on my personal relationships.

Here is a book that explains the more natural ways to approach depression written by a psychiatrist who is Toronto born but now operates out of the USA. I am so impressed by this book, I have been getting her others. Why it is so important to me is I have studied supplements for 27 years and have used them to overcome completely neuropathy over 10 years ago which proves it did work. She explains things very well in the book. Her father was a doctor. Here is the Amazon.com LINK

1 Like

Where Is God in the Struggle? Looking away from despair towards hope can feel risky. What if God doesn’t come through for you? What if you don’t feel instantly better? Instead of offering simple platitudes or unrealistic “cure-all” formulas, Edward T. Welch addresses the complex nature of depression with compassion and insight, applying the rich treasures of the gospel, and giving fresh hope to those who struggle. Originally published as Depression: A Stubborn Darkness Light for the Path, this new edition is updated with added content.

http://www.amazon.com/Depression-Looking-Up-Stubborn-Darkness/dp/1935273876

Here is another LINK for an excellent book for which there is a group on this web site. Do NOT get the shorter briefer volume as it is 28 cents more expensive and less than half the size and misses out most of the important aspects including how a newly diagnosed person can attempt to look into ways of reversing diabetes.

You would need a third book to get the free shipping. I have bought 3 editions of Bernstein's main book in the past 11 years and I bought the diet book and wish I had not, as it was a waste of money after having the big book. He keeps adding to his main book. Don't try to read an outdated version. Only get edition 4. Don't get the Diabetes Diet book by the same man as it is too simplistic and misses out on so much from his larger book which will take a long time to read and will be a reference. The shorter version is even more expensive by 28 cents. If you are not a reader, still get the bigger book, hands down. The Bernstein group here on Tudiabetes is worth reading going back a few years. Don't only read current contributions.

Have you had any metals put into your dental work? That caused my diabetes within one year. I had a gold-copper crown put on when I was 23 and within a year I was diabetic. I had NO virus. I was an active person who did not eat a lot. It took many years to become disturbed about diabetes. It even went away for almost a year, called a honeymoon phase. I bought a bike and walked a lot and rode, and often was not needing insulin.

What I didn't do and should have done was turn to eating lots of vegetables. Chances are you may not do that either as it can be that cooking is too complex for some people, especially men and when they move away from home they may eat whatever is easy. I have a BF who does not eat veggies and he can easily be caught with a high blood sugar level.

Still do all you can to reverse diabetes as the longer you take insulin the more diabetic you become. It is not a black and white thing. If you are still producing a lot of insulin, then do all you can to make that insulin work better by taking chromium. B vitamins also mean less insulin is needed. If you drink alcohol and avoid red meat fed on grass which is just about all these days, you could be low on Bvits. Food is not just a matter of calories, but nutrients are crucial.

I was told in 1986 by my current endocrinologist that someone put on insulin who is T1 will be totally dependent within 5 years and he told me that when I was already at 5 years and I was FAR from totally dependent so I did even more researching into supplements, which is the best tactic going. I lived across the street from a health store, thank God!!!! Prior to that all I did was walk and bike. I hardly cooked as I lived alone. That was before the Internet which I had help from only 11 years later.

So do all you can to minimize the exhaustion of your ability to make insulin. You do not go from OK to nothing overnight. One of the worst approaches of doctors is to ignore giving the push to eating vegetables as they are not nutritionists and people FAIL miserably at taking advice to eat better.

They send you to a dietician and it seems most people will ignore even what they suggest.

This is not an issue of a diet to lose weight. Even a full cup of chopped broccoli a day is not enough chromium as it would be 1/3 of the RDA yet it is one of the better sources, but it also depends on the soil it is grown in.

For some reason, the Amazon Link is not working for me. What is the Title and Author? Thank you.

Craig,

Sorry I didn’t see this post earlier, but I do want to answer you now.

Have you been diagnosed with depression and, if so, what kind? Clinical depression often requires medication and, as someone who suffered a very serious, very deep clinical depression many years ago, I can tell you that all the self-help books and all the prayers and all the “right” food did absolutely nothing to help. I had to try a couple of meds before my doctor got me on the right one, but once he did…I woke up two weeks after starting on that medication and it was like I had been re-born - I was my old self again!

Now, I’m one of the lucky ones. I was so scared of being that depressed again that I stayed on the medication for four years. Then, because of impending surgery, I had to stop the antidepressant (it was a type that is contraindicated with anesthesia.) But, as it turned out, I no longer needed it. That was over 38 years ago, and I’ve only needed the medication one time since then, and that time I only stayed on it for 3 months, which got me through.

Once the clinical depression was gone, I was able to (and have been able to since then) use all the self-help tips and therapeutic advice I received and put it to use any time something happens that is likely to make me veer off track.

So, here’s the final analysis: if your depression is what’s called “clinical”, you will need medication of some sort. A psychologist can assess whether or not that’s the case for you, and if he/she thinks it’s clinical, he/she can refer you to a psychiatrist who can prescribe medication.

Not saying yours IS clinical, but I truly want to offer you hope. That’s usually the emotion we lose when we’re depressed - hope, for the future, for feeling better, etc. And, having depression is nothing to be ashamed of…it’s no different, in a way, than having diabetes.

So get assessed, and please, please know this: You ARE worthy of getting the appropriate treatment and feeling better!

That’s right, I tried it and cannot get to it either, so do not know why that is. She is Dr Hyla Cass. He is Patrick Holford
There are two authors on the title as one is a psychiatrist and the other more aware of nutritional aspects, but they are both excellent.

Natural Highs: Feel Good All the Time… Kindle Edition
So it might have been due to which country you are in, but then I can’t see it either.

I suspect it is because with time the links change given that books are not possibly in stock or whatever.