Breakfast!

Okay, so I’m trying to cut calories, watch the fat and watch the carbs. In my quest to do this I’m finding breakfast very difficult. I’m not one of those people who can eat the same thing day in and day out. I’ve been making egg whites with peppers, onions, tomatoes and a little cheese. Sometimes I have a couple slices of turkey bacon as well. So, today I decided I just couldn’t do the same thing over again so began looking for alternatives. So, I found a whole slice of pita bread to be 18g of carbs and 90 calories. Great! So, I toasted the pita with olive oil spray, sauteed up some peppers, onions and a few calamata olives. I put refried beans on the pita, the veggies and 2 slices of natural slender cheese. Seems healthy and the carb count seems low. I bolused based on 20 grams of carbs because I didn’t pile a lot of any of the other things on. Well…just took my bg and it was 188. So, I went wrong somewhere in the count. I found counting carbs hard at times. My nutritionist said to not count cheese, the refried beans were fat free and the protein and I maybe had a slice of onion and a very small amt. of green pepper. So…what the heck!! I guess it is all trial and error. I was really trying to avoid too many carbs and keep it healthy. I know breakfast is the most important meal of the day and I want to give my body what it needs. Am not exercising today because I realized I just did 6 days straight and my body is feeling it. So, I am hoping my breakfast doesn’t pack on any more weight. I find it hard to know what is best. I try and then try some more. How many carbs would you have counted?So, a new day, a beautiful day and a healthy day is ahead. Peace.

According to my CalorieKing book, pinto beans have 20g carbs per 1/2 cup.

Afraid no way this was a 20 carb meal with the pita being 18 carbs to start with. Hard to say what the refried beans were without knowing the amount. Nutritional labels are also far from exact.

Yes, pita = 18gram of carbs AND refried beans which are normally 23 grams of carbs for 1/2 cup. I eat canned refrieds all the time so I have it memorized.

The beans are fat free but never carb free. I love my beans but I will sometimes only have them if my BG is more on the low side to start out with.

Another alternative is that there are some low carb tortilla. Even a regular small taco shell is lower than the 18 carb pita.

I think maybe you just forgot about the beans when you did your count. :slight_smile:

Thanks! I think I went wrong with the beans. I do have whole wheat tortillas but they were higher in carbs than the pita. I was surprised! Judith, where is Joseph’s bakery?

I’m going to look up Joseph’s. Sounds like a great option!!! Thanks!