I’m looking into some form of collaboration between TuDiabetes and FurtherFood.com, to bring our community creative, delicious and diabetes-friendly recipes. Further Food is a brand new site with a strong focus on presenting recipes that work for people with different health conditions (on the site you can choose your condition to get a list of recipes for it), including diabetes, along with dietician commentary on each recipe, stories from people who have the different conditions, and more. I think it’s a great concept! Please try this recipe, check out their website, and let me know what you think!
PREP TIME: 15
COOK TIME: 0
For the dressing:
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons juice from a lemon
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 garlic clove (crushed)
optional: pinch of salt and pepper to taste
For the salad:
- 1 pound fresh brussels sprouts (holding onto stem end, slice thinly crosswise and discard the hard knobby stem)
- 2 cups arugula 1 green apple (cut into ½-inch cubes) ½ ripe avocado (cut into ½-inch cubes)
- ⅓ cup pomegranate seeds ¼ cup cooked quinoa (toast till crunchy)
In a jar or bowl, place all dressing ingredients, mix well and refrigerate until ready to use.
Into a large bowl, add brussels sprouts, arugula, apple, avocado and pomegranate seeds.
Pour dressing onto salad and toss well.
Top with toasted quinoa.
Per Serving: Calories: 192; Total Fat: 13g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Monounsaturated Fat: 8g; Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 2mg; Sodium: 56mg; Potassium: 472mg; Carbohydrate: 18g; Fiber: 6g; Sugar: 7g; Protein: 5g
Nutrition Bonus: Vit C: 119%; Vit A: 16%; Iron: 8%