Burning fingertip - a sign of neuropathy?

A few weeks ago I started to have an intermittent burning sensation on a tiny area of one fingertip, at the very top. I have no other neuropathy symptoms, or diabetes complications, and my BG and A1c are better than they’ve ever been.

I’ve had type 1 for 40 years, and for at least 25 years have had my A1c 7 or under. The last year it’s been under 6, since adding the pump to my 6 years of Dexcom use.

Any ideas if this is neuropathy, and why it would start when my diabetes is even better managed than ever before?? Anyone else experience either this symptom, or complications starting when good control becomes excellent?? (I’ll check with my endo also, so I’m not asking for medical advice, just for other’s thought and experiences.) Thanks!!

I do already take B-12, and evening primrose oil, as well as many other supplements for general health and wellbeing.

I could also be a sign of impingment (which technically is a form of neuropathy). Carpal Tunnel Syndrome can cause compression of individual nerves and cause the symptoms you describe. Usually more than a single fingertip is involved.

Does the finger lose its color? Could be raynaulds syndrome.

Reynaud’s Syndrome/Disease:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/raynauds-disease/basics/definition/con-20022916

Thanks! Doesn’t look like Reynaud’s from the description. Nor carpal tunnel I don’t think. Not quite neuropathy either, but that’s the closest I can find on my own… it’s just one fingertip that feels like it’s burning. Open to new ideas though! I really don’t want to have neuropathy…

Have you been tested for CTS or neuropathy? A neurologist can perform a conduction study to determine exactly where the nerve dysfunction is occurring. And while a neurologist can give a pretty conclusive diagnosis there is also a simple test for CTS you can do at home called the Phalen’s test.

2 Likes

This is interesting from a couple of viewpoints. I sometimes get those pinpoint pains in my toes. They’re infrequent and intermittent and it’s been happening for years. Usually while I’m lying down trying to sleep, and usually of fairly short duration. Hmmmm.

Also, I had never heard of Raynaud’s before and I have one symptom that sounds similar. Don’t think that’s what it is, though; it’s completely asymmetrical and from what I’m reading Raynaud’s doesn’t usually present that way. More than likely it’s just age.

1 Like

I’ve had Raynaud’s for 35 years. Essentially, all circulation to some or all of the fingers and/or toes stops for a time and they turn completely white and lose all feeling. Once they begin to warm up again (warm water is what works best for me), they start to turn deep purple and then reddish pink and then they’re normal again. It’s set off by something cold. For me, it can happen just by walking through the freezer aisle of the grocery store. Sound like what you’ve experienced?

While not impossible of course, one tiny pinpoint spot of burning/pain and nothing else isn’t consistent with the usual presentation, which is usually less localized (i.e., can’t point to the same tiny point as the place hurts, and it is always the same, tiny spot).

My vote is the same as @David_dns – probably just one of those inexplicable weirdnesses from getting older. Ought to have it checked out, though.

1 Like

Near enough. The weird thing is that it’s highly asymmetrical; much more common on one side than the other.

Yes, it can be like that for me sometimes as well. Other times, it’s oddly very symmetrical – e.g., only the ring finger on both hands.

Sounds like what I have experienced. Have had much less trouble with it since I retired to Florida. When I lived in Maryland, I had to wear gloves when I drove in winter. If not, my fingers gave me fits.

My husband is from Florida and we’re discussing a possible move there. My fingers and toes are definitely voting for it!

Thanks Brian! No, not CTS, have had that years ago and this is very different. (That was treated successfully with acupuncture and chiropractic and never recurred!) Not Reynaud’s, so I’ll see what my dr says, but perhaps just a weird aging symptom…
It is worse after I’ve been using the keyboard a lot, so maybe some kind of pressure related nerve thing??
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

I also have raynauds syndrome. And yes, doggie walks can be difficult anytime it’s under 70 degrees!:frowning: I always carry battery charged, hand warmers which help. Holding my hands under hot water eventually returns the color back but really I don’t think there is anything that prevents it. I don’t think this is what the OP has. Basically, it isn’t exactly painful, but is very scary and can occur anytime under 70 degrees and especially when touching something cold, like a steering wheel. Fingers go numb, turning white and loses all blood circulation and can be dangerous if circulation doesn’t return I guess.

Okay, now THAT’S a very important symptom! Make sure you mention that to the doctor.

I’m not certain of this, but I believe that is not typical of diabetic peripheral neuropathy. Sounds more like inflammation/damage at the nerve ending.

Any thoughts from the board docs?

1 Like

Excellent differential diagnosis, Dr. PancakeDave!

:blush: I did watch a lot of House when it was on. So I consider myself an unlicensed doctor. I’ve had scrips accepted at Walgreens.

I didn’t write them, of course, my doctor did. But I handed them over, and they were filled. QED

:grin:

2 Likes