Can I safely use expired test strips?

My brother found a bag filled with 4 packs of accu chek compact strips at his place, which expire in dec/12. So basically, after this month they are expired. Can't I still use them? Do they really get expired right after that date? And actually, how so?

Thanks

use them up and quick! a friend of mine had gestational diabetes and gave me her unused test strips that had expired. the glucose monitor refused to accept them! dont know how they programmed it to do that, those shrewd people at roche! mine was an accucheck nano.

i think its because with compact u actually put the roll of strips inside the machine, so it reads the chip etc.. though come to think of it... if i change the date then it can be used no matter what!

I'd use them if they worked. I can usually sort of tell how my BG is and if the strips were in line with that, I'd think they'd be ok.

You probably thought of this already, but I would do a control solution check before I would use them. That said I have used strips as much as 6 months expired with success after they passed a control solution test. I don't do it often, but only if I happen to find a box of them that fell under something in the closet etc. Just pay attention to how you feel and see if it's in line with the numbers you are getting.