Carnitas

So I love carnitas…almost always the thing I order…so I dedcided yesterday to hunt down a recipe online and give it a try…I find several–but the simplist one (so it seemd)…you put everything in the crock pot and three hours later–wa-la…carnitas

I was grocery shopping today–made sure I got fresh cilantro etc…brought it all home–put it in the crock pot–and three hours later (I should tell you my husband laughed at me when I told him three hours–he is a much better cook than I)-nope carnitas NOT! I was so looking forward to them—7 hours later–the meat is ready–but it is now bed time…but they should taste good tomorrow…but I wanted them tonight :frowning:

Maybe I will look for a new recipe–any one out there got a good one for carnitas??

I have used a recipe by Diana Kennedy for years:

Cut up 3 lb pork shoulder or country-style ribs, skin and bone removed, into strips about 2"x3/4". Put in a large frying pan and barely cover with water. add 2 teaspoons salt and bring to a boil, uncovered. Lower the flame and continue to cook briskly until all the water has evaporated. Lower the flame a little, and continue cooking until all the fat has rendered out, turning until it is lightly browned all over, about an hour or so,

the pan should be rather large and shallow. do not add too much water at the beginning or the meat will fall apart at the frying stage. choose pork that has a fair amount of fat.

serve with tortillas and a fresh salsa, guacamole, or green salsa. sometimes I mix up an ancho red chili sauce and shred the carnitas into it. YUM!

will try this–thanks!