Hobo Packs

We have this at least once a week. The veggie that we use varies.

In a piece of foil, put 6 asparagus, then lay a chicken breast on top. Close the foil and cook at 350 degrees for about 35-40 minutes depending on the size of the breast (I usually only use about 4 oz. breasts). Then open the foil and cook about 10-15 minutes longer to brown the chicken a bit. Add 2 tablespoons of sauteed mushrooms and onion slices then top it with a slice of pepperjack cheese and place under the broiler for a few minutes until the cheese is melted. I serve this with a salad and a whole grain lo-carb roll.

We also use (in place of the asparagus) squash, zuchinni, or broccoli. My kids love it with fresh corn as well.

Looks tasty–can’t wait to try it!

This isn’t exactly the same, but I called mine Hobo Packs too. I couldn’t help chiming in because of the name coincidence.

While visiting a friend in Phoenix, I struggled with a very understocked kitchen. She had salt, pepper, olive oil, and milk. That’s it. I raided a local supermarket and came back with spinach, onions, chicken, avocado, mozzarella, parmesan, and low-carb whole wheat wraps. I also grabbed a packet of cumin from the ethnic food aisle. (“Cumin molino” is ground cumin for 60 cents vs. $4 per bottle. I don’t like to pay more just for brand names.)

Sprinkle salt & cumin on both sides of each chicken breast, and let it sit for 5-10 minutes to bring the moisture to the surface. Bring a pan to med-high heat, throw in a dash of olive oil, and sear the chicken for 4-5 minutes per side. Set the chicken aside to cool.

In the same pan over medium heat, cook the sliced or diced onions. I like to caramelize them, so I refrain from adding salt until they’re already beginning to brown. Add salt too soon, and the onions retain their moisture & don’t sweeten as much.

While the chicken & onions cooked, I thinly sliced my mozzarella and grated my parmesan. You can use pre-grated cheese. I just prefer to do it myself.

In another pan, I toast the whole wheat wraps with just a drop of oil and 30-445 seconds of heat per side. This takes out the raw flavor and makes them more flexible.

Just before I remove the onions from heat, I toss in the spinach leaves. You can do them whole or cut up as a chiffonade.

Now we pull it all together. Lay out a wrap. Add mozzarella down the center. Lay on strips of your seared chicken, top with the onion & spinach mixture, and then sprinkle on some parmesan. I like to add the avocado as strips on top. (Even better if you can get the avocado out in one piece, then cut into strips & sear it in the chicken juices.)

I fold the wraps up and then toss them back in the pan to sear the top & bottom.

The first few wraps were eaten on the spot as lunch, but I packed the rest individually in foil. They made for quick-reheat snacks during my stay in Phoenix, and I even carried 3 of them to the top of Camelback Mountain. As other people sat & ate trail mix and granola bars, I pulled out my Hobo Packs, unwrapped the foil, and enjoyed a very healthy meal.

We do these! My husband did them when he was a Boy Scout. He likes his with pineapple added; I like mine with rosemary and lamb instead of chicken. My son likes ground beef with cumin, and my daughter likes just vegetables. We never thought of adding cheese, but put in whichever vegetables we can - when we make them we generally try to see who can make the most outragous and yet tasty dish. We always add a couple of spoonfuls of water too. We make them when camping too - just throw them in the fire.

Funny, since I was diagnosed we haven’t had them…perhaps we will try tomorrow!