Changing a Life Long Habit, One Hour, Day At a Time

I have been taking Chantix for a while now to help me quit smoking. The drug makes you physically sick you smoke while taking it.That can be a good thing as it literally makes you put the cigeratte out. So I have finally put them out and have stopped buying them altogether. Not saying the urge isn’t still there, omg, it is still there sometimes. It is funny how you never think of how much you smoke until they aren 't there. All the times you unconsciously smoke becomes very much a real thing when they urge is there and you don’t have anything to satisfy that urge.I never realized how much I enjoyed the cig after eating or when I hae that first cup of coffee in the morning. I am doing the distration thing and every time I think I want one I go do something else until the urge passes. With the Chantix I am not “crawlng” the walls, so to speak, but it doesn’t completely make the urge go away.
I am not doing this because I was told I had to, nor am I doing this for anyone but me. I decided I was tied of being tied to a leash, the cigs, and that I can do this and it is time to get away from them. I know health wise it will be alot better for me to quit, until recently I still enjoyed it, but with being sick with every drag that is gone now. It is hard, I won’t say it isn’t, especially since I have tried to cut down but that wasn’t working so how it is just quit totally. I know i am stronger than they are and I will do this.
I figure I am tied to one leash, diabetes and insulin, but that isn’t something that is going to go away. The smoking is something I can control and I choose to dump the habit. Oh I know in the middle of the night I would love to have one, but I also am not going to get dressed and run to the store in the middle of the night. Too lazy, maybe that is a good thing in this case, lol.I do miss them when I drink my morning coffee, but I will get over it.
Wish me luck! I am going to need it and all the venting you guys will be able to stand, short temper now so have to watch it. Little things will tend to set me off.
Oh well, have to do what we have to do, and this is my “have to do”!

Way to go Karen! I know how hard the process is-- my husband is trying now as well (though he’s not doing nearly as well as you are!!)

Feel free to vent here!

Karen I can sympathize with you. I stopped cold turkey almost 3 years ago and I still think about smoking. You hang in there and you will prevail.

Sounds like you’re doing it for all the right reasons. From watching family members, I have seen how tough it can be. Hats off to you, and keep the good attitude about it.

Karen. Stop whatever you are doing, go to the bookstore, and grab this book.

The Easy Way To Stop Smoking

Your state of mind is the key to successfully stop smoking. Believe me, it can be ridiculously easy!

Update-done a little back sliding in the last day but all in all doing good. am braking the chain slowly but steadily. that is what counts, not how I get there but the fact that I do get there.Thanks for all the encouragement it really helps. I will keep you all up dated on the progress and hopefully it will be good news but even the bad I can learn from. Hugs to eeryone and thanks for all the good thoughts.
Karen

Funny I had a doc’s apt today and while trying to quit smoking I thought I would be gaining weight but I actually lost 3 pounds, ya me!!! so I will keep working towards it all and go from there. doing ok on the cigs, not total quit yet but I am way way down on my cigs. just have to keep chugging away at it.Still determinded to do this.

Still working on it, never thought i would get it down to about 5-6 a day so that is good for me. I used to be about 1 and 1/2 pack a day so that is way good for me. when in a lot of pain i tend to smoke more, kind of boosts the meds. but I am getting to stop doing that as well. I am just going thru alot of hard candy right now! the oral fixation thingee…lol. i am still going to keep at it until i can finaly put them down for good.