Chronic Urinary tract infection

I am currently being treated with Bactrim for the 4th urinary tract infection I’ve had this year. I would like to draw on the collective wisdom of forum members as to what may have worked for you or a loved one to avoid these pesky UTIs?

Since I was diagnosed with the first UTI, I have increased my water intake to three 16 ounce glasses daily. At the doctor’s recommendation I take cranberry capsules twice daily and also I take a probiotic daily. I am tired of taking antibiotics but mostly I’m tired of having this pain frequently.

I have found cranberry tablets or cranberry juice to be an excellent prophylactic against urinary tract infections. Since taking cranberry pills, I have never had a UTI, and I used to have them often. I use cranberry pills because I don’t want to get the carbohydrates in cranberry juice. I don’t take any antibiotics, because I find I don’t need any.

How many mg in the cranberry pills you take? I also take cranberry pills, but maybe I’m not taking enough of them or consuming the wrong brand. I do know I feel poorly today.

I use Life brand cranberry, taking 9000 mg. twice a day. Cranberry is such a simple item to process pharmaceutically that I assume any brand will do. When I first started cranberry treatment I had an existing UTI so I took a combination of cranberry juice three times a day plus 9000 mg. twice a day in tablet form, and that enormous concentration of cranberry cleared the problem up in no time. Since cranberry is just a food, which people eat in enormous quantities in New England when it is in season, I wouldn’t think you could overdose on it.

Have you considered trying a different antibiotic? Macrobid, or its generic equivalent, has always worked extremely well for me. I’ve been told it’s targeted to treat UTIs.

The doctor always orders a culture to check for what appropriate antibiotic is best. Not saying Bactrim is the best, but it seems to do the job. I guess I just wish I didn’t have to be dealing with these UTIs so often.

Here is what I have found with my research into mannose.

Since D-mannose is absorbed in the upper gastrointestinal tract, it doesn’t relocate the “friendly” E. coli normally present in the colon.) D-mannose treatment of E. coli bladder and urinary tract infections is ecologically sound treatment. (The very small amounts of D-mannose metabolized by our bodies and not excreted into the urine are harmless.) As an extra bonus, D-mannose tastes good!
Since D-mannose is naturally occurring, many of you may have guessed that cranberry juice (as well as pineapple juice) contain more D-mannose than most other foods. However, the amounts found in these juices are substantially less than in the ½ teaspoon (approximately 1 gram) adult dose, and are substantially less effective.

Do your research into mannose but I have been told by my doctor that there is not enough mannose in cranberries to effectively treat urinary track infections.