Dark circles around eyes

Why did my 3year old, recently (a week ago) diagnozed with T1D developed dark circles around her eyes? We were discharged last wednesday and since then she is doing good and keeping the recommended blood glucose levels.

I have taken a pediatric optholmologist appointment tomorrow, but can't wait to dig this mine for any clues or additional information or things that I should aware before visiting the Dr.

Thanks

I'm sure your little-one will look better soon. When ones BG is out of control the body is struggling just to meet nutritional needs. It will take time to achieve a reasonably normal metabolism again...could be vitamin and mineral deficiency, most doctors test PWD's for these things nowdays....

You didn't say what prompted you to take your Daughter to the Dr. where she was diagnosed, or else I missed it.

Normally with Type 1, a Person's immune system is attacking the beta cells, so the whole body is under attack in one way or another. As John said, nutrients are not going where they are supposed to go, so the body is dehydrated and is starving. Thus weight-loss, circles under the eyes, extreme thirst, frequent urination, pale, dry skin, unusual fatique, irritability can be some of the symptoms of DKA(Diabetes Ketoacidosis).

I'm sorry to hear that she was dxd. but happy to know that she is doing much better.

Bthatr...I don't know if you have been on this site: http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/ Lots of good info about other Children with Diabetes.

I also came across this section: http://www.childrenwithtype1diabetes.com/diagnosis---real-stories.html. It so frustrates me that Drs. still do not automatically pick a Child's finger to see if they have Diabetes...also Adults. Some of these stories...honestly!! :(

Hi Terrie,

Thank you so much for your responses and link that will keep my energy pump up high.

She suffered with excessive thirst and urinating, with my little first-aid knowledge, I have given her 2ltrs of electrolysis (pedialite) and she completed all of it in 14hrs without showing any improvement. hence I have visited her pediatrician, where she ran some tests and sent us to Emergency Room immediately. By god's grace, we made it in-time or may be on the border or danger line. She was diagnosed with 540 count at ER and immediately put-up on insulin dripping and other fluids simultaneously.

Recovered in 24hours and we are now constantly monitoring 4times days. From this rescue, she got the scabies bug from hospital and we are fighting with the bug to kick it out of home.

Your poor little 3 year old needs time to recuperate (and so do you). Try not to worry too much and focus on her diabetic needs. It's a long haul but things will get better. Learn as much as you can about diabetes and share on-line with other parents.

I'm a lada and really shouldn't be answering your post but just to let you know that I sympathize with you.

Sorry to hear about your daughter..ugh! Incidentally, most type 1's test their blood sugars, ESPECIALLY when newly diagnosed, at least 10 times per day. Testing only 4 times a day is usually recommended for type 2 diabetics not insulin dependent.

Testing:
Wake up
Before all meals
1 - 2 hours after all meals (when first starting insulin I was told to test both at the 1 hour and 2 hour mark after meals)
Before bed
middle of the night 2- 3 am
any time one is more active, sick, feeling too high, too low, giving a correction,etc...

that's at least 8 - 9 times per day. please discuss with your daughter's endo team about blood sugar testing.

I dunno if "most" T1 test their BG that much, as many of us have challenges getting enough strips out of our insurance companies and many doctors, being team players, sort of suggest the AMA "line" of test 4-7 times/ day. Even the pump manufacturers (whose products bleep at you to test 2 hours after eating...) say "if you want a pump, you must be willing to test 4x/ day!!"

I think the dark circles may be a result of dehydration. It looks like your kiddo went to ER with DKA and I am glad she is home and better besides the scabies. Good for you brhatr for doing good and keeping the recommended blood glucose levels.

The mine you intend to dig is a big one - never ending even. You can find the adit easy enough but finding the right tunnels and outs are another thing. Never stop collecting information, trying to crack walls, and harvesting the treasures.

Testing is of course necessary, but follow the advice of your kid's doc. 4 times a day is probably good enough, and more than that might cause some distress in such a young un. It sucks that she got something else from her visit to the hospital...So again good for you! Let us know what you find out and best to your and your kiddo.

Hi Bthatr...again you are Welcome. Happy to help. I can easily relate to most yougsters when it comes to Diabetes, so I've enjoyed popping into that site occasionally for years to see what's up. As you can see, you and your Daughter are not alone. As with any site, take info with a grain of salt. Take what fits your Daughters situation and leave the rest. We are all different and many times have different experiences and reactions and outcomes.

Thank you for sharing your Daughter's symptoms, ER visit and recovery. 540 is definitely a high blood glucose number. You did good and I'm so Happy that she survived. YAY!!! By God's grace indeed. :)

Since your little one is only 3, was just diagnosed(dxd.)and is in the "honeymoon" stage(taking little Insulin because she still has some of her own Insulin), 4-5 tests a day should be good. I'm sure that her Endo doesn't want to put her through much more pain and disturbance, since she been through so much already. If she starts having low blood sugar symptoms then do test again. Wash her hands first, if possible. If it is low, then give her a juice box(acts fast) or glucose tabs, etc. I'm sure the Pediatrician gave you plenty of info concerning this. Any questions? Please do ask either here, on the Children with Diabetes site or both.

Sarah,

This is exactlty we are going through now, stopped checking at 3am. other than this, we are following every word in your response.

are you recommending, is it too much and speak to endo team for any other trims? Please advise.

Thank you for the advise Terrie and I am truly overwhelmed with the responses from this thread. My kid is doing fine and back to her normal life, black circles are barely visible now and scabies is almost gone. sounds like a happy conclusion for the first episode of a never ending drama :)

btw, I want to share the following:
a) She was prescribed with "5% permethrin" for two applications (once a week for two weeks).
b) After the first application, I have used NEEM OIL (I may use for next cpl of days) to keep the mite away from her
c) Cleaned the entire house with LYSOL wipes (each and every touchable part, door knobs, flats, mirrors and etc...)
d) Washed her clothes and bedding in hot-water (addd Dettol)
e) Gave her hot-bath twice a day with an AYURVEDIC soap, that has capabilities of treating skin rashes and scabies
f) Used sugar-free allergy medicine (it's recommended by her Dr.)
g) Ofcourse, Aquaphor cream (moisturizer) during day time (she uses this since months baby)

The above steps resulted no ichy, and all bumps are in the process of being shutdown and back to merge into her skin-level.

NOTE: Not yet applied the 2 application of "5% permethrin". I'll apply it on coming Sunday and officially say bye bye to the mite.

OK, i've just never heard of a type 1 child being told to only test 4 times per day especially when first starting insulin and it sounds like she was DKA and very sick. what causes 'distress' in a young one is high and low blood sugars, which can be dangerous. one cannot possibly determine ppl results, am and pm results with only 4 tests. one has to know. i would imagine she eats at least 3 meals a day, goes to bed and rises, no?

IDK, can a 3 year old little child verbalize that her/his blood sugars are off, high - low. can a parent just look at that child and know his/her vision is off, she/he is shaking from the inside out, mouth is dry, sweating, heart pounding. 3 meals alone is 6 tests, before and after meals and with young children, they also eat 'snacks'. often young children don't have honeymoon stages, either. she didn't indicate she's honeymooning. the goal is to get the lows and highs before they need too much treatment, not after. testing is the only way and 4 tests isn't nearly enough. I'm sure when we were diagnosed we were told to test more then that. There are many forums for parents with type 1's that might be helpful for you too, bthart

She may be dehydrated. Many of us aren't diagnosed until we are in DKA, which causes pretty severe dehydration. Hope she's felling better.

Overwhelmed in a Good way, we hope. :) Thank you for telling us about the treatment and procedure. It'll be nice for you's to get your lives back to
a somewhat "normal" state.

That's awful that you had so much work to do clearing out any mites. Sounds dreadful! Bet they are all gone by now. Happy to hear that your little Girl is doing well concerning the Diabetes and the scabies. Cheers! :)

They usually just say that they don't feel good. Or they are tired, etc. Since I had Diabetes as a Child, as others, I watched my Kids like a hawk and prayed they wouldn't end up with D.

We watched for the usual symptoms of being irritable, more sleepy and thirsty than usual, starring and not responding to verbal stimuli and so on.

We also kept an eye out for high blood sugars. I didn't overdo but I did test their blood sugar when I felt it was warranted. Since low blood sugar affects the brain's function, a small Child wouldn't realize they were having symptoms. It's hard for Adults sometimes too. A Dexcom would be useful.

Maybe you were but when I was dxd. my Mom was told to test my urine twice a day and that was useless since it was a delayed result. I'm
just happy that I was able to get a meter in 1988. And Life goes on.

I do hope that the new non-invasive blood tester will be available for PWD soon. It would make such a huge difference...especially if it is AFFORDABLE please.