Dexcom G4 w Animas Vibe Pump Impressions?

Any problems or things you especially like about this pump and receiver? For example how far can you separate the pump from the transmitter, do you like the reporting capabilities?

I’ve read that Animas introduced the Vibe pump and CGM receiver for Dexcom G4 sensors on June 2, 2011 for sale in the EU, Israel, and Canada. It is still not available in the USA pending Federal Drug Administration approval which was submitted about a year ago (acording to Animas Representative I spoke with). I have been using Medtronic pumps and CGM systems for almost 8 years, and I’m hoping the Animas Vibe goes on sale in the USA by July this year, so I can get it for my next pump. From what I’ve heard from Dexcom users and independent studies I’ve read, it's much more accurate CGMS than Medtronic. That’s why I’m asking for impressions using it. Thanks in advance!

This is my first time using a CGM, but I love it, (I pay out of pocket for it). I find that it is bang on or close to what my pump says (omnipod) although I have only been getting 10 days the most out of it where other people have gotten many more days from it. I am glad however that I get more then the 7 days since I pay for it myself. hopefully the other people that use it can give you more information.

This is my opinion of the pair

http://www.tudiabetes.org/profiles/blogs/my-complaint-with-animas-and-dexcom?xg_source=activity

Diane

Tandem (the T-Slim pump) is also working with Dexcom to develop an integrated device. I don't know the timelines on when it might be available, but it will open up yet another choice for an integrated device when it's available.

I switched from using a MM522 + Sof sensors to Vibe + G4 in November. The Dex sensors are amazingly accurate (within 10% of a fingerstick reading >95% of the time). I average 18 days out of each sensor (important as I self fund). The G4S are accurate enough to rely on for bolusing or treating a hypo, although Animas strongly advise you not to do this.

I never used the Enlites because of their short life/cost but I know several users. The first generation Enlites (as recently available in the US and in Europe for around 2 years) have had all sorts of issues, not least lifetime. Medtronic have recently released the next generation of Enlites over here. Reports suggest these are signficantly more accurate and last up to 2 weeks. However, given the regulatory regime in the US, it may be sometime before they are available Stateside. I have talked to Medtronic reps and everyone is aware of the issues with the first generation Enlites.

The Vibe is a perfectly acceptable pump although I find the menu system to be badly designed and unwieldy. Boluses, in particular combo/dual wave boluses, seem to require about a million button presses. The menu system on the MM pumps is much better designed. If it wasn't for the CGM, I would certainly choose it over the Vibe, but the Dexcom is really a GAME CHANGER and I am happy to put up with a bit of inconvenience bolusing.

Joel

Thanks to those that responded so far, and to summarize: Don't believe "Product coming out soon" (I've heard that from Animas almost as long as I've had a pump/CGMS system 7.75 years). I think the Tandem T-Slim CGM integration also has to fit in this category. We have to wait and see. The only difference for me is I have a self-imposed deadline of July. Either a new integrated pump/CGM is released in the US by then, or I continue with the less accurate Medtronic CGM with their newest 530G pump, with the upside of having very good Medtronic help desk and pump with integrated CGM receiver.

If anyone else wants to reply in the future, I'll be watching for your comments.

I think that holding Animas responsible for the delay in introducing the Vibe into the USA is completely unfair. Their application for approval for what is in the end an upgrade of an existing device (or rather the integration of the software for one existing device - the Dexcom - into another - the pump) has been ongoing for over a year. The Vibe has been in operation without problems for over 2 years in Europe. Blame the FDA! I am sure that Animas are as frustrated as you are about this.

FDA delays have also been responsible for the late introduction of the Veo/530G and Enlite into the USA. It may be of interest to all those in the US posting in this forum on issues with the Enlite, that Medtronic has just introduced the new Generation Enlite in the UK. This does address many of the issues with the original Enlite. No doubt it will be a couple of years before this too is introduced in the USA.

Joel

The Blame goes to the sales people who make promises they cant keep. I would have never purchased for the reasons that I purchased if the truth had been told. Or if Integration had been off of the table completely. At least my decision would have been well informed. And I would have decided based on other factors. Being new to the whole arena of pump baloney, I listened to both Animas and Dexcom sales pitch.
Now, having spent years in the employ of other medical device manufacturing, and being quite familiar with FDA procedure, I can attest to the insanity. Fortunately, the company I worked for never made promises they couldn't keep.
Frustration isn't something that a company passes on to their customers.
Sorry Joel, but at least in my case, I was lied to. And am very unhappy. I should have known better. I also put the blame heavily on myself.

FYI you have an error on your blog post where you say that the Animas reservoir only holds 100 units of insulin. It holds 200 units.

Like you, I went with Ping in November 2012 because of the impending release of the Vibe. No one made promises to me on when it would be available, but I don't think that anyone thought it would be this long.

I don't like the Ping pump very much and still miss the better menu system of my Medtronic pumps. At the same time, I am still committed to using Dexcom and don't foresee a switch back to Medtronic sensors. The one good thing that I have heard about the Vibe is that at least your computed bolus amount is self-populated so you don't have to start from zero to scroll it in. I have no interest in the food database, so that wasn't a bit deal for me. I don't even use the Ping meter because it is frustratingly slow with its communication to the pump and requires huge drops of blood.

Like many people, I am frustrated by the difficulty of new diabetes devices being released in the USA. At the same time, although they're released much earlier in Europe, most people don't get access to them because they're not readily covered under most national health plans.

You are correct and I stand corrected

I have made a mistake and been corrected I knew better as I fill my ping daily...It takes 200 units not 100...I so very much apologize to anyone who was mislead by my incorrect typing. Diane

You are correct sbout the EZbolus on the Vibe. One press of the up button will populate the bolus field with the suggested bolus.

The reservoir nominally holds 200U but in reality after priming it is signficantly less. With my old MM522 I used to overfill the reservoir, so that when you loaded it into the pump, the excess insulin would actually fill the tubing. You can do the same with the Vibe, but the pump software "expects" a prime of at least 10U. If you prime any less, you get a "not primed" warning. After loading my cartridge I get a message that it is at 196U, I then have to prime at least 10 U (even if I need less to fill the tubing) so after priming this leaves 186U.

On the positive side, I find that the integration with the Dexcom works well, with good menu systems. The CGM information is accessed by one press of the button on the top of the pump and you can then scroll through the various time frame screens (1, 3, 6, 12 and 24 h) with the up/down buttons. There is also a screen that gives you SG plus IOB which is really useful. Unlike the Veo/530G there is no predictive low BG alert system with the Vibe. You just set a limit value and you can also have it warn you if you have one or two down arrows. I have mine set to warn at 4.4 (80) and one down arrow. In practice this works better than the Medtronic system because the CGM is so much more accurate and reliable. I was always tempted to ignore low BG warning on the MM because they often turned out to be false alarms. I find you ignore the warnings on the Vibe at your peril- they are almost inevitably correct.

I wouldn't agree that most people in Europe don't get access to the technology. It does vary a lot from country to country but in many e.g. Germany, France and Scandinavia, access to pumps is very good. In the UK it has been particularly poor but the situation is improving (e.g. in Scotland, under a new initiative, ALL T1s aged 18 or under will have access to a fully funded pump + supplies if they want one). In the UK, funding for CGM is much more patchy and most people are still self-funding.

Joel

Joel, You're absolutely right that it varies by country. Most of my interactions are with people from the UK, Australia, and Canada where coverage can be difficult to get, especially for CGM's. I'm always a little frustrated by policies that allow children under 18 to get pumps and not adults. Or will those children be "grandfathered" in when they reach age 19.

dishers, if you have the success that I have had using the Dexcom G4 you will be one happy non-diabetic. I have been using my G4 for about 18 months and my A1C's in the normal range 5.2 to 5.6. My now have total control of my diabetes. I, like you, will be paying out of pocket for my transmitter and receiver since my insurance no longer will cover them, but I will continue using it even if I need to have bake sales to help me pay for it. Maybe everyone using the Dexcom has not had the success that I have had, but in my opinion if every diabetic using insulin used the Dexcom the way I do they would no longer be diabetics. By the way I am looking at a website called http://www.solaramedicalsupplies.com where I found the transmitter for $465 and the receiver for $599. What are you paying for your. Good Luck with you CGMS

Transmitter costs $800 and receiver $700 Canadian. So far medically I don’t believe for me ther is non diabetic but controlled absolutely but not want to assume I’m not and forget the seriousness that could cause me.i am not sure how not to live not being a diabet. Lol. I am back on track think it was a seasonal thing with my sugars plus the pain from my nerve damage. All good now.

I never closed this topic with my results, so here goes: I got the Animas Ping pump in November 2014, a month before the Vibe was released, and also got Dexcom G4 to replace my Medtronic pump and sensor. I got used to the the Animas pump, loved the improved accuracy of the Dexcom G4, but disliked having to carry a sensor receiver in addition to my pump and cell phone. 30 days later when the Vibe was announced, I signed up for the $100 upgrade, and got my Vibe in January 2015. GREAT! I still use the Dexcom receiver at night because the pump is clipped to my waist under the covers, and I don’t always hear the alarm. So with my Dexcom receiver on my night table next to my pillow, I hear the alarm, and it usually even wakes me up! – Been using the Vibe and Dexcom G4 for 18 months now, had to get a replacement Dexcom Transmitter after 12 months, but that’s expected since it only has a 9 month guarantee. I’m a very happy user. About to start another new world, Inhaled Afrezza insulin (in addition to my pump and CGMS).