DexCom

Does anyone use this?

Cheryl,
Got my Dexcom almost 3 weeks ago. First week had my low alarm set too high so kept getting alerts during the night. Reset and it has been great since. Usually very close to fingerstick BGs. Great for eating when you don’t really know the carb content. Went out last night and guessed at carbs. After dinner was trending up and heading for high alert. Bolused and brought BG right back where I wanted it. I would be lost without my DexCom now.

Thank you so much. I’ve only heard bad things about sensors but I think that was the minimed one. Cant wait to get my daughter this sensor.

There were also some bad Dexcom stories about sensors - but they were from the previous version of the Dexcom. I haven’t heard any from the Seven Plus. We are currently in the appeals process as my son was denied. Our insurance claimed they would only cover people over the age of 25.

I do! I used the MM CGM before I got the Dexcom. MM was awful - very inaccurate, painful to insert, and caused a lot of scarring on my abdomen.

The Dexcom is wonderful! It’s saved my butt more times than I can count. No painful insertions, no bleeding, and it is super accurate.

Plus, there has been lots of talk about the integration of Dexcom with Omnipod’s PDM. I can’t wait!

When you get your DexCom, you wonder how you ever lived without it.

IMO, it pairs very well with the OmniPod. I’ve had a few times where the cannula was kinked/leaking but it wasn’t enough to trigger any sort of alarm on the pod. No matter how much I was bolusing, the DexCom kept trending up, up, up.

It’s also a lifesaver (literally) if you have hypoglycemia unawareness. The DexCom low alarm wakes me up before I can even feel I’m low, and it also wakes my husband up if I for some reason don’t hear the alarm-- I put it in between our pillows at night. More than once I’ve woken up at below 50 not feeling anything.

For what it’s worth, I did a trial of the MM cgm through my doctor’s office because getting the Dex. MM was painful to insert, painful to wear, and I had to wear a giant shower patch. Not sexy. I can’t say much for how accurate the MM is because I had to do a blind trial, but I can say that the DexCom is accurate within 5 points about 95% of the time. There are a few times when it’s way off, but nothing a little calibrating won’t fix.

The appeals process is actually frequent with adolescents as the sensors are only approved for those over the age of 18 and most of the study’s show the best results for those over the age of 25. I think there are a lot of factors that go into this mostly including the fact that those under the age of 25 are either living at home with their parents who are already making sure they take care of their sugars or just out of home and living on their own for the first time and dealing with all of that. The companies are working on getting them approved for children and many children do use them. Good luck in getting it, I’ve been using my DexCom for about 5 months now and would never want to live without out it.

our insurance is on board as is her doctor thank god. Her numbers are wild, she’s 10 and hormones are not my friend at the moment :slight_smile: