Diabetes Camp

So, for the first time ever my daughter is leaving for Camp Colorado, a diabetes camp run by the ADA, in exactly 5 days. She is so excited and I am excited for her. I have been busy packing up all of her clothes and toiletries. But here’s the great part, she doesn’t have to bring any diabetes supplies with her, except for her set changes. She doesn’t need to bring a meter or test strips, insulin or glucose tabs and juice. I think this is the first time I have ever packed my daughter up for a trip where I didn’t have to worry about having 2-3 times the normal amount of test strips and extra insulin.

So here’s the lowdown on Camp Colorado. It is located in Woodland Park, Colorado, about 1 1/2 hours form my house. This year the camp runs from Sunday, July 1st through Friday, July 6th. My daughter will sleep in a cabin with bunk beds shared with other girls her age, some of whom have Diabetes. Siblings and friends of kids with diabetes are invited to camp if there is enough room to accommodate all of the kids with diabetes first.

Surprisingly, I am not all that worried about the diabetes aspect of this camp experience. There is a senior medical staff up at camp that monitors the kids’ blood sugars and insulin doses. The majority of the staff are volunteers from the Barbara Davis Center, where my daughter goes for her diabetes care. I know they will take very good care of her. I am actually much more worried about the kind of things that most parents worry about, that she’ll do something reckless and stupid and end up breaking a bone or splitting her head open. I am sure she’ll be fine, she really isn’t a huge risk taker, but as a parent, you can’t help but worry.

Anyone out there have any diabetes camp experiences to share? This is our first experience with it, so we don’t really know what to expect.

I went to Camp Stoney in northern NM, growing up with my siblings. It was some of the best times of my life. They had a fully trained medical staff including Endo’s.

The counselors were kind and caring. I have asthma and they took care of that for me too. There was so much to do, that as a kid there I never had time to get homesick. lol Yea there were some scrapes and bruises, I don’t remember if any kid broke a bone, but the clinic was fully set up for anything untoward happening.

I wouldn’t worry. I think your daughter will have the time of her life and lots of stories to share when you pick her up at the end of the week.

I wish they had something like that here, but only weekend family camps. Maybe next year I will see if Nikki can get into Camp Stoney when she goes for her summer visit with my parents.

I went to a diabetes day camp from age 4 to 13, and then I was a counselor. It was a great experience. When everyone has diabetes, it’s like it disappears, and you can relax.

I went to camp EDI in Missouri when i was a kid - i only made it there one year - i was 10 - kids didnt know much about diabetes then…at least it seemed that way to me. lots of tips and tricks shared there and i agree with mollyjade - " When everyone has diabetes, it’s like it disappears, and you can relax. "

I have been following your posts on CWD. I am sure your daughter will have so much fun. I don’t know much about diabetes camps yet, but I want my boy to go when he gets old enough.

I went to the Clara Barton Camp for Girls with Diabetes in North Oxford, MA - and the place still means the world to me. Your daughter will LOVE camp. Where diabetes is something that everyone has - so it’s pretty much forgotten.

Hi, i looked into diabetes camp for Shelby I was looking for a day camp and found two different camp in are area one She has to be 5 and it is a family camp so maybe when she is old enough, and the other is also a family camp Sugar Free kids and looks really cool I am still working on going. Let me know how everything works out for . . . I hope she has sooooo much fun. I loved camp when I was young.

Thanks for the comments, everyone! It is so wonderful to hear what great experiences everyone else has had at D camp! Samantha is so excited!!! I am excited too, I know she’ll be fine and will want to go back every year! She even asked me the other day if she could be a counselor when she got older and she hasn’t even been to camp yet! :slight_smile:

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I’ll update everyone once I get a letter or when she comes back.