Post your recipes for diabetics

It just dawned on me that we had nothing going on about recipes in here and we know well how important it is to eat well as part of the management of diabetes.

So there you go! Feel free to start new “discussions” to share those secret recipes you’ve found to be of use to help you keep those sugar levels under control.

This is kind of lame as far as recipes go, but it’s my standard cold weather breakfast. It’s heart healthy with oatmeal and flax, and the omega-3’s in the flax help with depression. I’ve found volumetric measuring to be inaccurate so I weigh everything, but it’s one serving according to the respective packages of the oatmeal, flax meal and peanut butter. If you aren’t weighing the banana, it’s about 3/4 of an average-sized banana.

40g old-fashioned oatmeal (or quick oats if you prefer) (27g carbs/4g fiber)
13g flax seed meal (4g carbs/4g fiber)
1c water

Cook in the microwave per package directions. (Watch that you use a big enough bowl because I’ve had some messy overflowing oatmeal to clean out of my microwave…)

Once it’s cooked, I add:

1 package of artificial sweetener
2.5 ounces milk (4g carbs)
31g peanut butter, Simply Jif or comparable low sugar pb (6g carbs/2g fiber)
66g sliced banana (15g carbs/2g fiber)

I know it’s a carb explosion for the low-carb folks, but for anyone else who eats a reasonable amount of carbs, it’s 56g carbs total with 12g fiber. It’s really yummy, very filling, and super nutritious.

Hi All!
What I am looking for are recipes for vegatables. I am trying to make my meals be at least half the plate of veggies. The big problem is right now all my veggies have to be cooked soft since i have had my teeth pulled and still haven’t gotten the insurance ok for my dentures yet. I would like to see them go without their teeth for one day! ya right! So anyway I know I have to have mostly veggies and would like some interesting recipes to kind of change things up once in a while, but not anything really really complicated. lol! ya I know I am not asking for much…lol.

My favourite ways to cook veggies are either in the microwave, or in the oven with olive oil.

I usually take cauliflower and broccoli florets, put them in a bowl, drizzle a bit of water over them, and microwave for about 4 minutes.

In the oven, I do gem squash, butternut, baby potatoes, cauliflower, sweet potato, onions etc. The easiest is to put all the veggies in a zip lock bag, add a little olive oil and herbs/spices/salt/black pepper of your choice and shake it around so they get coated. Then put the veggies in a dish, cover with tin foil, and bake for 45 minutes to an hour in the oven (180 degrees). Delicious!

A great little peanut butter cookie

Basic recipe

1 cup of peanut butter
1 cup of Splenda
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Mix well…by hand is fine
Drop in small balls on cookie sheet
Flatten with fork in criss -cross pattern

Bake @ 350 for 12-15 minutes

I’m adding a twist to these cookies as a take along dessert for Thanksgiving.
I’m going to just put a shallow hole in the cookie ,then bake, then add a dollop of
sugar free jams and jellies.PB&J cookies!!

This sounds great. Do you have an approximate carb count on it? Not many, right?

Your kidding right? is that all you need? I think I could even do this one.
In fact I have the next couple of days off and I’m giving this one a try I love PB cookies but pretty much gave up most sweets my wife will be shocked…THANKS!

hey, Manny, I thought the same thing today! I’ve started posting in the group, “We want real food!”. I sent three of my best low carb & make ahead party appetizers today.

I’ve recently started low-carbbing, which means I don’t have to worry so much about the fat and so on in cheese, and I have discovered I love cooked low-carb veg like cauliflower and brocolli with cheese sauces on them. I bought a little tub of alfredo and have eaten this for a couple days and love it…and it’s more protein too. Even cooked very soft the vegetables are good. I am going to experiment with other cheeses.

Thanks, I am going to do this tonight. Can you give an approx amount of carbs. Thanks again.

Hi!
It is very important and interesting theme for me, because my sister really has “problems” with her husband (he has a diabetes). He extremelly likes sweets, but in his situation, you know, he cannot allow pies or candies etc. So my sister must discover new recipes to make my brother-in-law happier:)
I try to do my best to help her:) It is not easy.
Look here
It may be interesting for you, too!

Here is what I do for veggies since I tend to like them raw or barely cooked with only a couple exceptions

For broccoli, carrots, Cauliflower, peas, green beans and spinach or whatever your prefer.
A wok is good but a pan can work to.
Melt a bit of smart balance, I cook alot and smart balance is the only one I found works with no matter what even pie pastry so I use it all the time now. Anyway a couple table spoons and some fresh grated garlic with about 1 table spoon of olive oil.
Get the wok with those things in it very hot and toss the veggies in you will learn how much to add for what your making as you get used to it. You want the veggies covered lightly not soaking in it. Wok for 2 or 3 minutes at most maybe carrots a bit longer and eat.
You have not cooked away all the good stuff and everyone I know likes it even the kids
Hope you like it
Be loved

Fabulously delicious apple pie!
My grandma used to make this and I adapted it to be diabetic friendly.
Ingredients
1 store bought pie shell
2 green apples
1 stick of butter
1 cup of Splenda brown sugar
3/4 cup of regular oatmeal e.g. Quaker but must NOT be instant
1/4 cup of flour
1/2 cup of pecans

Instructions

1. Core and peel the apples. Then slice them very thinly.
  2. Put the apples in the shell as evenly as you can. Try spread them as evenly as you can so they all cook well.
  3. Put the pecans in a processor and grind them to small pieces.
  4. Melt the butter in the microware.
  5. Mix the pecans, sugar, flour and pecans in a bowl.
  6. Add the butter to the mix and combine. You will end up with a paste.
  7. Put the mix on top of the apples and spread it so that it covers all the apples like you would with a top pie crust.
  8. Preheat the oven to 375 and bake for 40-50 minutes.

The goal is to cook the apples and the crust. The apples are thin so they will cook quickly so you should take of the crust. After removing the pie from the oven let stand for 15 minutes and cut. Eat with ice cream… mmm…

When you eat the pie the day after it tastes much better hot, so microwave it for a minute. My mom replaces pecans with almond essence and it tastes great too.

Tomato and Mozzarella Salad
Ingredients
1 pint of cherry tomatoes
fresh and firm mozzarella cheese
fresh parsley
olive oil
balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper

Instructions

1. Cut the cherry tomatoes in half.
  2. Cut the mozzarella in small cubes about the size of the cut pieces of the cherry tomatoes. I generally use a 1:1 ratio between the pieces of tomato and mozzarella cheese.
  3. Mix the two in bowl and put enough olive oil to lightly coat all the pieces.
  4. Add salt, pepper and chopped parsley. Mix well.
  5. Add the vinegar last to taste. About 1 tablespoon is enough for my taste.
  6. Put it in the fridge for 15 minutes and enjoy.

I have tried replacing the cheese with firm tofu and it tastes great!

there is sugar-free crust recipe in the forum. sounds great!

Many so-called diabetic cookbooks are based on the mistaken assumption that limiting sugar, but not other digestible carbohydrates, makes the recipes suitable for all diabetics. Some even assume that limiting table sugar, but not honey, syrup, and fruit juices, is enough. Actually, cookbooks labelled low-carb instead are more suitable. I’ve found a number of sources of low-carb recipes on the internet:

http://fittv.discovery.com/fansites/blaine/recipes/recipes.html

http://www.camacdonald.com/lc/LowCarbohydrateCooking-Recipes.htm

http://vikkiskitchn.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!C34F22B307DAF53B!504.entry

http://livinlavidalocarb.blogspot.com/2006/12/reader-submitted-low-carb-recipe.html

http://www.examiner.com/x-355-Low-Carb-Examiner~y2008m6d4-Cauliflower-Pizza-Crust-Worth-its-Wow-in-Gold

http://www.diabeteshealth.com/recipes/read/123.html

Other info about low-carb foods:

http://www.diabetic-talk.org/freeveggies.htm

microwaves are not good to cook in. the best way to cook veggies is to steam them. and they taste better.

Hiya Karen,

use in any ratio you choose as you can stove top boil and use most any veggies you choose.

lots of cajun cooking at http://cajunf.ning.com/
Note: the seasoning is absorbed when items are cooling

1. Zatarain’s Seasoning into boiling water and Zatarain’s can be ordered online
  2. I love to get it boiling and put eggs in and after they are boiled put a little into a bowl and place the peeled eggs in for about an hour till cooled.
  3. can make potatoe salad this way.

Let me know how it goes.