Diabetes Hands Foundation Statement- Changes are coming our way!

We won’t be changing domains or urls! @Richard157 we value and appreciate your collaboration, we have a lot to learn from you. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I was a bit surprised by some negativity in here. I understand this change as a step forward for tudiabetes, and do not expect major changes, only small ones mainly in the background.
I found this picture tudiabetes shared over on facebook very helpful, so i am sharing it here too

9 Likes

As I said—we’ll see. Forward is the only option, anyway…

1 Like

Thank you for sharing :slight_smile: yes, some things are changing in both communities but as you mentioned so far they are background changes, our work is to keep the communities healthy

2 Likes

One thing I love about this site besides all the great info is how well it is formatted. I hope that stays the same.

2 Likes

Thank you Swiss, that was helpful. Since I have been coming here more rarely than before, am just learning about this transition. It would have been quite a shock to login, only to find everyone left!

“The current resources being provided to the Hispanic diabetes community are insufficient. The diabetes resources being provided to underserved populations as a whole are insufficient. TuDiabetes.org and EsTuDiabetes.org are an important part of the equation and an exciting addition to the Beyond Type 1 family of programs, but there is more work to be done. Beyond Type 1 is committed to expanding our efforts to address these problems on a global scale.”[quote=“Mila, post:3, topic:61991, full:true”]
Beyond Type 1 Press Release

Am just learning about this transition, and so went to Beyond Type 1 website, and Facebook page. the above paragraph describes what I observed, along with divisions along socio-economic lines seem present.

Am not here to slow or bemoan change, but am on the old side of the equation, and change can involve some grieving. As my comment suggests, will, well, comment. I look forward to seeing how this all works out.

After a thorough search DHF selected Beyond Type 1 as the new home for TuDiabetes.org and EsTuDiabetes.org. Beyond Type 1 is honored to continue operating these two communities, and to carry these communities into the future. Millions of visitors rely on TuDiabetes.org and EsTuDiabetes.org, and we will make every effort to continue and expand their reach.

Beyond Type 1, since its inception, has been committed to efforts including more than Type 1 diabetes. The diabetes community is stronger together. An understanding of Type 2 informs an understanding of Type 1 and vice versa. When it comes to diabetes, stigma and many complications do not discriminate by type. When people living with diabetes are brought together, the result is greater numbers and resources and a louder voice. Communities like these ensure that no one living with diabetes ever feels alone.

We have tremendous respect for TuDiabetes.org and EsTuDiabetes.org, and we intend to transition the two communities seamlessly from DHF to Beyond Type 1. We intend that, for the foreseeable future, the two communities will retain their name, the way they operate and their culture. As part of that transition, we are excited to announce that DHF’s Director of Community, Mila Ferrer, will be joining Beyond Type 1 as our Director of Programs. Mila will continue to oversee the management of these two communities and work to expand them.

The current resources being provided to the Hispanic diabetes community are insufficient. The diabetes resources being provided to underserved populations as a whole are insufficient. TuDiabetes.org and EsTuDiabetes.org are an important part of the equation and an exciting addition to the Beyond Type 1 family of programs, but there is more work to be done. Beyond Type 1 is committed to expanding our efforts to address these problems on a global scale.
[/quote]

1 Like

Could you give the exact location on facebook where this quote can be found. I rarely use facebook and I am not going to spend two hours trying to search for it, but I am very interested to see what was said.

I have hardly visited TuD since the change to the current site. So I can be hopeful that maybe the new change will improve things, but if the search feature is terrible and all the other logistics, it will also fail.

I was annoyed the change over got rid of the Supplement Group.
If people who are newly diagnosed were told of the c-peptide test and of the value of chromium which attaches with insulin at receptor sites and if those people followed a low carb diet and did regular even simple walking, they could go back to the pre-diabetes stage which still means being careful, but would not in time close down their own insulin making ability.

This is interesting as the previous site before then change over was mush better, so you must be fairly new in the last few years since the change over which occurred in a year I even forget as that is how little I check in here on TuD as it is not helpful. I joined in 2009.

I used to go look at the person’s profile page to get a rundown of who they were so I would know better what to say as what type of diabetic and for how long and more are important to know. Now that does not seem even possible, so the current formatting is TERRIBLE.

I bet the majority of people who joined have left and rarely check in. There used to be about 200 or so regulars yet the membership was stated to be over 35,000. This is very typical of sites like this as the UK diabetes group is similar…lots of members who rarely check in and maybe even some have joined under different names as they forgot their previous log in criteria.

Another problem is lots of what is posted on TuD would be helpful even years later but the search feature is so bad that people rarely look for past comments on similar topics.

There was a discussion about “frozen shoulder” more than once and I decided not to bother re writing what I said years ago when I cured two different frozen shoulders in my own case, because what is the point?

If a person would make a comment on an old post it would likely be a waste of time as the people in that post may no longer even be members and not see the post.

I’m not sure what difficulty the search function is giving you. I clicked on the magnifying glass icon in the upper right and inserted the search term, “frozen shoulder @JaninaWalker” and received this list in return. It contains three entries, one made by you in 2011, one in 2012, and this thread you joined today.

I think we all get frustrated with technology at times. If you have some specific questions about how this site works, I’m sure someone here can help.

Thank you for your reply. I’ve used computers since 1988 so do know how to use search features. But still my comments about how the site worsened after the switch to the current site still stands.

I tried searching for how to find Nick Jonas on the site he created and that also involves more trouble than it is worth. He has only been T1 for a few years so should be trying to keep his beta cells alive, but I doubt he will even bother…

I lost the link to a scientific article that gave the molecular structure of insulin combined with chromium which is necessary to attach at a receptor site. I sincerely regret not having made a copy of the whole article as I have tried many times to find it again but I had seen it in 2010 and it may no longer be available online. I do not remember who wrote it but I have used chromium since 1986 and it is a main reason I need about 15u total per day for insulin and sometimes up to 20u total and yet I know I do not make any at all of my own now.

I have found several supplements improve glucose control but few people speak of them that way, such as MSM.(Methylsulfonylmethane) I have finally solved a below range level of red blood cells by adding in Collagen Hydrolysate which is part of how red cells are made so I am guessing that the red cells are more supple and less inclined to break when they squeeze through tiny arterioles and hence the low red cell count of diabetics that might also be a result of too large sized red cells can be improved. I had used B12 and folate for years and yet did not succeed until I added in the Collagen hydrolysate.

So I still wonder WHO decided to drop the supplement section when the move to the new site happened? Do you know how to get an answer to that?

I am very well informed in supplements from 36 years of reading numerous books and articles. I know full well that the majority of supplements are not even what I would recommend, but the the better ones can be used to cure lots of health situations and in general doctors know next to nothing about them.

Nick Jonas has had Type 1 for ten years, since he was 13, so most of his beta cells are probably long gone.

https://www.diabeticlifestyle.com/live-well/celebrities-diabetes/nick-jonas-flying-diabetes-flag-high