#DiabetesHashTagsForFun

#DiabetesHashTagsForFun

So one of the inside things about twitter that I admit have never learned is the ins and outs of hashtags. According to the official twitter help site this is the definition of hashtags:

Using hashtags to categorize Tweets by keyword:

• People use the hashtag symbol # before a relevant keyword or phrase (no spaces) in their Tweet to categorize those Tweets and help them show more easily in Twitter Search.

• Clicking on a hashtagged word in any message shows you all other Tweets marked with that keyword.

• Hashtags can occur anywhere in the Tweet – at the beginning, middle, or end.

• Hashtagged words that become very popular are often Trending Topics.

Example: In the Tweet, @eddie included the hashtag #FF. Users created this as shorthand for "Follow Friday," a weekly tradition where users recommend people that others should follow on Twitter. You'll see this on Fridays” ("Twitter help center #Hashtags ", 2014)

So the way it works is the author puts in their own #Hashtags and if you are any good at catching the right phrase it means that people can look at tweets about a subject in a group. So for instance if I wanted to look at recent activity about diabetes, I might search for #Diabetes. Overall the better you are at doing this the more likely your tweet will be retrieved by someone. A person who is really good at it can look at things and see if items are gaining or losing popularity or if a topic is hot or in other words ‘trending’.

A good example is the Malaysian airlines lost airplane. For a couple of days the hashtag #MalaysiaAirlines was trending as people looked for new tweets, and commented about it. So just now as I was writing this note I looked up ‘#MalaysiaAirlines’ and found several hundred tweets about the subject. It is a way for people to look at historic or current discussions at a glance.

All this gives rise to a bit of fun about the whole subject and it allows some celebrity watching as many try to out do each other over stupidity.

So there is a fun little game going on. The game is to spot outrageous or unique hashtags. These are really just personal notes usually commentaries about the state of the world or a backhanded thought about a situation. From Buzz Feed this site gives some really funny hashtags Jimmy Fallon got trending on Twitter:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/fallontonight/hilarious-hashtags-that-jimmy-fallon-got-trending

Not to be outdone I made some up for diabetes. Now none of these are serious, but it is fun to think of what might happen if they made it into normal usage. So without further ado here is my list of proposed diabetic hashtags. Be sure and add your own for your own fun. I hope you enjoy the list and make up some more.

#IAmHighOnJelly

#SendMeInsulin

#DiabetesMakesMeAngry

#Type1DiabetesWorseNoItIsntType2IsWorse

#SendPizza

#WaterNowDamit

#WhatIsThatBeepNoise

#IAmASweetBoyToday

#YesIAmAngryAndIAmLow

#DiaBeatThisSucker

#WhatIsThatRunningDownYourLeg

#IHateSwabs

#ChangingLancetsIsForSissys

#ICutMyFingerCuttingMyMetformin

#DKAIDontNeedNoStinkinDKA

#Dial1800MindYourOwnBusiness

#YeahFoolIAnShootingUp

#DontWorryItsJustBlood

#PaperCutsAreGreat

#NeverWasteADrop

#OneMoreBeepAndThisPumpDies

#Test15WaitBSEat

#ChocolateCakeHasEggs

#CanYouSeeWhatIAmThinking

#IPumpILive

#DammitIAmHungry

#ActosMakesMeLow

#SugarFreeMyAss

#DontMindMeIAmLow

#CakeNow

#WhatAreYouLookingAt

#DoesThisSweatMakeMeLookGood

#15DaysToLowerA1C

#IWouldTradeMyCarForATwinkie

#CinnabonChallenge

#SmallCookiesDontCount

#ButIFeelFine

#WhatWatermelon

#ButDoctorIHad60BadSets

References

Twitter help center #Hastags (2014). Retrieved September 4, 2014, from https://support.twitter.com/articles/49309-using-hashtags-on-twitter#

-30-

rick

#WhatTheFructose, #diabetesjunkie, #carbcountingfreak, #YuckFouDiabetes, #GivingDiabetesTheFinger, #PumpEatCorrectSleep

my favorite #lastnameStonergetsmeintroublewithouteventrying and I think pancrassian"s #liveabetes instead of #diabetes

#TheCureIsCoffeeIceCream

#TrickOrTreatMyLow

#AprilFirstIsCureDay

I love them ladies. Now why the heck didn't i think of those, well except for that one about the last name. I think that sounds more personal. Well Maybe I mean................rick

What fun! Plus---one of the clearest explanations of just what the heck a hashtag is!....Thanks

Hi Kids, glad to see you're enjoying Twitter. I've been using it since 2008. If you're new, please make sure you're following @askmanny - our leader here uses Twitter very effectively imo. You'll see he RTs (retweets) others' tweets he finds interesting, and usually tweets with a link to whatever article or item he's reading, or music he's listening to, or event he's attending. Manny keeps us informed on what's going on at conferences he's at by using the conference hashtag, for example, right now #medx

please when you're tweeting a link to a TuDiabetes post, use the hashtag #TuDiabetes and if you can, include a "at mention" of @diabeteshf, which is our official profile - also there is no profile for @TuDiabetes (there was at one time, but it's not being updated)

the most popular hashtags for diabetes that I see are

#DOC
#DSMA
#bgnow
#DBLOG
#WDD
#BigBlueTest
#showmeyourpump
#waitingwithdiabetes

use these hashtags as often as possible, of course always say #diabetes instead of just diabetes

and if someone new to you RTs your tweet, thank them!

if you have any questions about using Twitter, I'd be glad to help you.

#Ur2skinny4diabetesUlook2SmarttosaysomethingsoStupid
#diabeticspumpituplikeElvisCostello