Diabetic tattoo?

My sister and I had a recent conversation about me getting a diabetic tattoo, and now I’m actually considering it. I know some people on this site have some, so I’m just wondering if anyone else is thinking about getting one in the near future, or does anyone already have one?

I saw this one which is kind of intense… :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m getting the awareness ribbon with my sons name above it, just need to find time to do that! It’s my turn for a tattoo so that’s what I want next, the hubby and I decided to take turns lol, it’s addicting!

I’ve seen a few of these around. I’m not sure I’d get something like this. It feels awfully definitive, if you know what I mean. My tattoos all have some sort of meaning to me - they help me to remember, to put myself back in a place where I’m not anymore, to whisper to me about where I’ve been. Diabetes is already so permanent - tattooing its name just wouldn’t feel right.

I’d be interested to hear why others have gotten it tattoed - is it for practical purposes (to let others know)? Or something else?

Interesting question, Tee. I wrote about this a while back at www.diabetesmine.com/2005/08/tattoos_for_lif.html .

In essence, I think a small one might work nicely.

Best,
AmyT
www.diabetesmine.com

Hey Amy,
I just read your article, very nice I might add! Heh, well I believe a small one would work also, just something simple on my wrist. I know the healing process won’t be a problem because I have one large tattoo on my arm, and two fairly large tattoos on my hip. and I’m planning on getting the rest of my arm done (I know crazy!), but I guess tattoos are my “cup of tea” so to say. I have a very reliable and amazing tattoo artist, and he is the only one who does my work, so I know that I’ll be in a sanitary environment if or when I decided to get one.

If you check my latest blog on here, I have something I messed with in Photoshop that I may consider :slight_smile:

• Tee

I understand what you mean about it being to definitive, and for tattoos to have meaning. I wouldn’t get a diabetic tattoo just to have it be known that I’m a diabetic, but because it has impacted my life. It’s changed me, it’s saved me, it’s done damage. It’s part of my life.

:]

• Tee

I have a tattoo on my lower back. the bottom is a butterfly I drew with the word “diabetic” in script between its wings. Its actually part of a time line Im doing up my spine. The next butterfly I get done will have WSU 2008 between the wings, since thats when I graduate…then when I get my masters, my PhD, have kids, etc…there will be more butterflies

I realize this is a 6 year old thread, but I signed up for the site a few months ago and just wanted to say... THIS IS ME!! Hahaha. I got this in my second year of University, almost 7 years ago now. I don't regret it at all, it was supposed to be more of an "Art" tattoo than a Diabetes one, it just turned out to have sort of a dual meaning. Something that would always be relevant to me, you know? I do sometimes wish I got the letter smaller or less noticeable but... it is what it is!

Anyways... random!

that's your tat, acid?

Yup! Not of much utility for paramedics but, after 27 years of gambling with death all the time, well, you know...

very guns n roses-love it!