Do a service to the newly diagnosed: brag

I will brag on behalf of my amazing daughter. When she was diagnosed three years ago at age eleven, she was in the middle of a hectic week of middle school, and was nervously practicing her dance for the upcoming Talent Show. Well, her diagnosis sure put a wrench in those plans, right? Nope, not my girl. She only missed two days of school (she begged not to be hospitalized) AND performed in the Talent Show five days later. And did I mention that right after her diagnosis she also came down with a vicious case of Strep Throat? None of it stopped her. She took her Lantus shot while waiting to go onstage and danced her heart out. Everytime I watch the video I cry because she is soooo skinny and I am always awed by her strength. Yes, diabetes is a burden, but it does not limit you. Not if you don't let it.

Okay, I just saw this thread and felt so bad for the way that some of us feel about diabetes. Maybe somebody else has said this, but COME ON, PEOPLE!!!!! WE ARE THE LUCKY ONES!!!!!! There are so many folks with terminal cancer or dementia or untreatable psychological disorders. Every day I count my lucky stars because I have this, instead. I've been a diabetic for the past 35 years and all I have to do is balance my insulin intake with my food intake to be healthy. Granted, it's not always the easiest thing to do, but it is doable and, at 58, I'm still able to play basketball, travel the country and perform for kids, play ultimate, ski, swim---actually, there is NOTHING I can think of that diabetes prevents me from doing other than binge-eat desserts. (I can still do it with salad.)
Oh, wait. I guess there is something that I gave up, although I know plenty of diabetics who haven't, and that is alcohol. I did that to make my sugar control easier. I still eat chocolate cake on occasion and eat all the pasta I want. I am a vegan and so I eat tons of fruit. I just prepare with the appropriate amount of insulin at the appropriate times. My A1Cs aren't perfect - the last one was 5.7 - but they're good enough for me. (My goal has been to be in the normal range for a NON-diabetic but I haven't stayed there.) Over the years, before technology was as helpful as it is now, I have lost my sensitivity to lows. Dexcom has given me back what that would have taken away, alarming me when I do go below where I should be.
I can't think of anything I can't do that I want to do. I consider myself EXTREMELY fortunate.

I love to hear such inspiring stories. Newly diagnosed T1 (10/03/14). The daily roller coaster i'm on is mentally & pyhsically exhausting. Reading your stories gives me hope!

Wow, you are brand, spankin' new. It takes some time, but you'll get used to it. Its probably a LOT of changes all at once. I think that those of us that were diagnosed as kids are kinda fortunate because kids are just so super adaptable. Its harder when your older, but you'll find a comfortable way to wear the illness - Something that fits, for your life.

Wow Michele, we're T1 twins! I was diagnosed on 9/30/14! And yes, I am exhausted!

I agree with you Elena! My husband & I cancelled our trip to Florida next week. I am afraid to travel with all of this being so new! I ended up in the hospital with DKA when I was diagnosed. I have hypoglycemia unawareness & insulin sensitivity. My endo is putting me on an insulin pump. Hopefully this will help my severe highs & lows I keep having with MDI.

You should always feel free to post data if you need help interpreting it. Its tricky. You'll get all sorts of different answers from all sorts of people, but someone might be able to help.

Hi, Elena - Welcome to our not-so-exclusive club. I'm glad to see you are carb-counting, but you will find that becomes MUCH easier as you move forward. I actually go the other way most of the time. I blast myself with insulin and then eat an approximation of what will counterbalance it. If my wife has made an outrageously good dinner(which is almost every night) I can add more insulin when I eat. I like to prep in ADVANCE of my meals and then adapt a few hours after eating with a little more insulin or a little more food, if necessary. I carry a roll of mentos with me ALWAYS to use as a sugar pickup in case something goes wrong. My previous doctor never liked my doing things this way because of the potential for the unexpected, but I keep tons of sugar (grape juice and candy) in the car in case I need to head off a low or have a flat tire. Glucose tablets are ideal but not always easily accessible. Really, it gets a whole lot easier as you learn to approximate. I keep my A1Cs under 6 doing things this way, but through a little experimentation, you will find what works best for YOU and know that, if you make a mistake, you can still compensate later.

Michele - The daily roller coaster is not something you need to accept with diabetes. There are many of us that have figured out ways to eliminate the roller coaster. It does not have to be your new status quo. For example, I regularly spend over 80% of my time between 65 and 140 mg/dl and less than 5% of my time less than 65.

As you know, the roller-coaster wears you out, is not healthy, but is not required.

One of my favorite pics of myself, the "good" marathon (I've only run 2, a good one and a uh, more challenging one!)

I also have my CGM line which looks like a hot mess for me. You can see all the bolusing in the hashmarks across the bottom, pretty much mile 3-15 or 17 or something no carbs, bolusing away...

Wow, that's great! I'm the cook at my house, which at least makes carb counting at home easier. :)

I definitely feel the loss of freedom in eating, but it has been less difficult because I never was the type of person who binge ate, or had a hard time saying no to myself with food. So at least once I measure out a portion of food, it's not difficult for me to stop with that serving.

One thing that would be nice if I got onto a pump would be being able to have a treat between meals if I want to. I'm kind of stuck in the mode of a shot at breakfast, lunch and dinner--so I don't ever want to bother with a shot in between. Which means no popcorn at the movies, no mid-afternoon Starbucks, no ice cream on the way home from church. That part I miss.

Today, I found out that my a1C is now 7.2, down from 8.3 in August! I even got an "A+" from my Endo and his office! Last summer, I totally fell off the wagon, got very overwhelmed with the CGM, relying on it way more than I wanted to. I wasn't eating my best or bolusing in a timely fashion. I saw that 8.3 and was ready to step up my game. Focused on bolusing pre-meal, lowered my "High" alarm on the CGM and then correcting!, and then, I took a couple of weeks off from the CGM, but still tested just as often. I asked everyone to ask me when I had tested last or what my BS was!

I like this discussion. I haven't read through it all, but I am all for anything that gives reasons to have a positive outlook. I am personally tired of the old-school assumptions that we (people who have diabetes) are fragile, can't be counted on, are weak, unable to do things, etc. Yeah, D is a pain and inconvenient. But I refuse to let it be an excuse not to at least try, and to hold me back. I've worked for people who believed I couldn't be promoted because I was irresponsible - "I mean she was irresponsible enough to give herself type 1 diabetes!" Come on!

For those newly Dx'd, it takes a while to get your head around the fact that you don't have "perfect" health anymore, but it doesn't lessen who are you are and what you are capable of. I haven't let it stop me from traveling internationally - alone. Have interesting and demanding jobs. There are a lot worse things - I am glad I don't have to deal with MS.

Diabetes requires us to be our own primary care providers - in a way of speaking. We have to speak up for ourselves to get what we need to thrive, not accept old school myths and mis-information. The ability to do these things takes time, and after 30+ years with type 1 I am still developing strengths I didn't know I had. And overall, I am healthier than most people I see out in public. I guess that comes from paying attention like I have to. So be it.

Hi, Michelle - If you have hypoglycemic unawareness, then PLEASE make sure to talk to your doctor about CGMS. A pump can make things much more convenient than shots, but CGMS can save your life. Mine has, countless times. When they first came out, I tried to get one but insurance refused. I was always diligent about testing before I drove, but on a 3 hour trip back to Boston from CT, I couldn’t understand why there was a concrete wall next to where I was driving on the highway. I somehow made it across 3 lanes of rush hour traffic and somehow had the wherewithal to test my blood sugar. I was driving with a blood sugar of 24 and had no idea I was low. Now, my CGMS alarms me if I am dipping below 70 or falling rapidly so I can head that off. I use Dexcom and swear by it, but find something that is good for you and use it. To decide what to use, I arranged a side-by-side test of Dexcom and Medtronic to see how they reacted under the same conditions in my body. Everyone has their own preferences but please look into this. Night time and driving are times when you can ill afford to slip too far and CGMS can help you with that. Best of luck.

That is majorly impressive, Sam. I was all set for my OUPV (aka, "basic" US Coast Guard Captain's License) about 10 years ago, but was discouraged by all the extra "stuff" I had to show as a T1D. Plus, I wasn't really going to use it professionally, so I let it drop.

I had all the hours and during the coursework, I had a few of my classmates under my wing to get through the chart plotting section.

Hi Jeff, yes my insurance just approved me for the Animus Vibe. So I will have the built in Dexcom CGM. I am looking forward to being alarmed when my sugar is dropping. I am excited and nervous about what I have to learn but I hope for better control & safety with the pump & CGM. Thanks, Michele!

The Dexcom will help you a ton. I haven't ever had super low numbers to begin with, but the lowest number I've had on my meter since I got the Dexcom was a 76. I am able to head off lows before they get scary.

Great. The nice thing about the system is that you can set the low limit wherever you want it to a minimum of 60. I adjust it based on the circumstances, but you can keep yours at one setting (a little higher than what you want your low limit to be because you may continue to drop after the alarm) as you get used to it. The system is extremely easy to use. Join the Dex group when you're ready and you'll get a lot of help over there. Best of luck.

Thanks, I will look into that when I am up & running =)

I'm gonna do it! you guys know I have to do it because she's new.

@ Michele Brainard, Here's the Heather disclaimer...some of these guys have good luck on a pump and I don't want to discourage you, but be aware that for me, a pump increased, dramatically, the number of highs and low. It depends on your body and how you use it, so be cautiously optimistic. I'd feel better with a Dexcom in your pocket, if your going onto a pump.

@AR, that is really good data. I'm super impressed. Are you eating at those min values? Or, is it just rebounding on its own? I ask because I'm curious about the frequency of corrections that you all make in order to achieve that. I was never able to do.