Do you wear a medical id?

What do you mean by ‘social costs’? Do people treat you differently? No one notices by ID, it is on a chain with another item.

An ID always creates a risk that others will notice it, and since most people believe fantastically negative things about diabetics, your reputation is likely to suffer. During the 13 years I wore an ID others noticed it twice, once causing no social problems at all, because the person kept it to herself, and once causing devastating problems, since the individual spread the news all over the university and suddenly the chief topic of conversation was the fact that I was going to be dead soon because I had eaten too much sugar. Interestingly, the fellow who spread that story died at 55 of a heart attack, while I’ve outlived him.

Wow that is so sad :disappointed: I talk about my diabetes with anyone who asks. Have never felt ostracized Most people I meet are just interested.

As of yet, no issues while driving. My low are are always late night. With my Dexcom and alarm on my iPhone I’m warned before it gets to low.

Good god, it sounds as if you are gloating over someone’s death.

I have worn one for over 30 years, and it has not affected my social life at all. In my mind, anybody who discriminates you because of medical conditions is not someone that can really be called a friend at all.

AmericanMedicalID as a Dog Tag version that has a built in USB.
The USB has canned info to be filed in. It is password protected. And has enough drive space todown load other data.
In my case I keep all my blood work. And med reports.

55 years ago I often had hypos walking home at noon & after school at an early age (6-10). This was before medic alert (MA) or tags, and they’d often find me in snow drifts. Since MA became an option I’ve alway had one, although once the paramedics missed the necklace version I wore at the time. It’s been a bracelet since, as much as I dislike jewellery.

I’m not concerned so much about hypos now, rather being involved in a motor vehicle accident or possible stroke or CV event.

I have one, but it’s not super obvious; it has sea creatures like turtles and seahorses as the band. I felt it was safer that my family knows where I am in a Jane doe type situation, even if it doesn’t save time with the paramedics. I’m most worried about traveling though, especially to Egypt where the traffic is bad so it takes a while for the emts to arrive. I’m not sure it will help at all in this situation because it’s not a common practice there and the phone numbers are American. My husband said I would always be with him so it was fine, but his lawyers children died in a building collapse, and in that situation, everyone could be unconscious, so I still worry. I thought about just writing on my hand in Arabic that I was diabetic and my mother-in-law’s phone number, but everyone thought I was being silly and I conceded that it probably wouldn’t help much.

I have a medic alert tag on a black elastic wristband with T1 and hypertension engraved, along with the number to call the organization for detailed medical information. Since I’m retired, live with someone who could provide medical information, and rarely go out, I only wear the bracelet when I do go out, especially if I go alone.

I keep my diabetes under good enough control that the risk of a hypo I couldn’t control is low. But I am concerned that at my age, I could have a heart attack or stroke where it would be helpful for others to know my situation should I be unable to communicate properly. And, of course, there is always the risk of an accident.

I do a lot of long distance cycling and strongly believe in wearing medical id. Even without a chronic medical condition such as diabetes, it’s important that medical staff have access to essential information (contacts, medical conditions, prescriptions, health insurance, etc.). For many years I wore Medic Alert IDs but found the quality is low, the price is high, and you get tons of junk mail asking for donations. I switched to RoadID several years ago and been very happy. They have a wide assortment of IDs at a reasonable price. I go with the IDs that allow medical personnel access to essential information that you can update as needed on their website.

" artwoman

Oct 1

I have a medic alert tattoo. Bracelets would get caught on things, and the words would wear off. I am looking forward to the day when I go back to my Tat Artist to have the words “I used to have” added to my tat."

Artwoman, interesting. I never wanted a tattoo but a medic alert tattoo gets me thinking. At 67yrs, that’s a good thing. Can you share a pic of yours?
Mark

I can’t seem to attach a photo. But…if you go to Facebook and search medic alert or diabetes alert tattoos there are quite a few of us inked T1’s out there - with photos attached.

Artwomen, thanks. I prefer not to use facebook, but will look elsewhere.

Mark

These are really cool diabetes tattoos!

Google is your friend

When I was first diagnosed the CDE really stressed the importance of a medical ID… so I went out and bought a bright orange bracelet that said “TYPE 1 DIABETIC ON INSULIN”

Not more than a few weeks after that I was at a big professional training center surrounded by other unlimited ocean master candidates, wearing that silly thing… and it made me feel like crap to think that amongst these professionals in a hugely ego-centric industry they were looking at that and maybe thinking “oh, neat, they sent an EEO guy here too” So I wore that only for about the first two days

So after that I bought a much more discreet dog-tag type necklace that I wore for a while… but since I’ve become more and more comfortable with my own control I’ve felt it less and less necessary and really haven’t worn it in several years now…

Lately I’ve been considering if it would be the responsible thing to do to find a better compromise, maybe a more attractive and less obnoxious bracelet or something… but in my career it’s very important to project strength and certainty at all times, and this gives me hesitation to wear a medical ID… which those who aren’t properly informed could interpret as weakness and fallability… just like FDR didn’t let himself be seen in a wheelchair

So my take on that sort of thinking is that the only way to change that type of thinking is to shatter stereotypes… If I went around worried about how people perceived me and disability/health issues, I’d never leave my house… Instead, I just go do what I want to do. People can think what they want. But by doing cool stuff while wearing a medical ID or sporting diabetes gear or using a white cane, I hope that some of those people thinking I’m not strong or unlimited may be changing their minds/attitudes by seeing me do things perhaps they thought someone like me couldn’t do.

Type 1 for almost 60 yrs. In 1959, I used to carry a card stating that I was a diabetic and I was not intoxicated. Since I was only 8 it was pretty funny.

Since then I am rarely without a diabetic necklace. Any one who knows me knows that I inject insulin. As far as I know nobody has ever held it against me. In fact my friends fix me food even if they don’t always understand my present diet. I am always happy to explain if asked.

If I was younger, I too would get a tattoo, so if I was in an emergency people would notice it.
The medical folks need all the help they can get. I also keep a list of how much insulin I take and what I eat in my purse.

The few times I have been in the hospital, I am amazed at the lack of knowledge. Luckily I have always been able to insist that I be the boss of my diabetes. I dread to think about having to go to the hospital in the midst of an emergency.

I carried the same card when I was 6. :grinning: