Do you wear diabetic id?

GREAT idea for the Diabetes Hands online boutique!

I actually have been working on abdicating my throne as the “queen of what if” because as I get older I realize you can spend an awful lot of time worrying about what might happen. I’ve never really liked the idea of wearing medic alert jewelry because I also work on not letting diabetes be in the center of my life anymore than it already has to. I do certainly respect the people who do wear something. i haven’t read over the whole thread, but it sounds like many do. I also think my pump which of course is always on me is also a big red flag should it come down to someone looking at me.

Nice excuse to get lots of custom made bracelets! I had a coworker for five years who made me wonderful necklaces each birthday, and a special one for my retirement

Yep, resigning from the what if club is an ongoing process. I also have a habit of making my world all nice and safe and easy and then getting bored out of my mind by it…lol

Although I find necklaces and bracelets uncomfortable, I do wear a medical ID bracelet. It’s just on a chain and no one knows what it says unless they grab my wrist and look at it. I want to easily alert EMT’s in case I am passed out somewhere. Every second may count.

I wear one because I travel alone on business a lot. I also have a wallet card. However, I’m in a constant pursuit of a more attractive ID bracelet. Check out: http://www.laurenshope.com/

Depends on the EMT and placement of the tattoo. If you get it on your forearm and have it looking like a medic alert tat and not a fashion piece, the first responders I have talked to have said they would notice. I know enough people who have had medical personal miss bracelets to tale my chances

I have a medic alert bracelet too Trudy. It lists all the things they need to know immediately, and they can easily get the rest of my info. I wear it with other bracelets… it’s still obvious, but if you just glance it looks like part of the other jewelry. Wouldn’t NOT wear it.

I wear a special medical id bracelet. It’s a little flash drive and it’s called CARE.

http://medicalhistorybracelet.com/index.php

I ABSOLUTELY wear a Medical ID bracelet. I have a wallet card and ICE numbers in my cell. I’ve also stressed to my 10 year old son that whenever I’m low he is NOT to leave my side unless it’s to call 911 and then he has to come right back to me.

Hi, A sweet friend of mine bought my daughter an ID from roadid.com (Road ID) it is actually designed for athletes. It doesn’t look like a typical Diabetic bracelet.
I have a paramedic friend that I asked, is it even worth it? He said absolutely!! Every time they have an emergency call, the first thing they do is check bracelets and necklaces.
If you don’t want a bracelet, you may want to consider a long necklace you can hide under your shirt. I think it would be a good idea.
Happy day :slight_smile:

I’ve seen these, but I really can’t imagine any hospital inserting a flash drive anywhere on their network.

Do any of you feel that a pump can take the place of ID jewelry? Isn’t that proof enough that I’m diabetic?

Mike, I have type II diabetes. I wear an ID bracelet every day. I have two additional medical issues that are listed on the bracelet also. I feel more secure having the bracelet on. Also, I have ICE information listed on my cell phone.

Jan,

Sad to say, but I would venture a guess that many medical personnel wouldn’t know what it was if they saw it.

Linda

I’m a Lineman and can not wear metal jewelry so I opted for a tattoo on the forearm.

Serious?? It’s very hard to believe that medical personnel wouldn’t recognize a common medical device. I’m going to check in with my 2 cousins who are in the field. Will report back here.

I cannot believe all this negativity. Thousands of life have been saved by wearing some form of identity over the world. I have 7 medics in my church and they have all commented on it and one who actually is a paramedic took me to hospital with DKA thought I was drunk before we knew that I was diabetic!

I talked with another paramedic who came into our church to teach a first aid course as part of another course that is going on and I asked her, do paramedics check for this jewellery and do they know what to do with it - she said that absolutely they do.

Even if you are not sure, what harm can it do?

Hear hear BlessedMom!

I’ve had a medic alert bracelet since 1961 and it has come in handy on more than one occasion. I was hit by a car and taken to hospital in ambulance on one occasion, and also suffered a low while in Hong Kong on another. I’m glad I had it on. You never can predict when you might need it.

you dear not just mention it anyhow in this part of the world because of discrimination but i think its better to wear such ids in case of accidental emergencies…