Don't know what to do

Hello everyone,

I’ve been Diabetic for quiet some time now, but I’m having some issues,

I feel I need someone who really understands me, to the best that I can explain through text,

I started out as everyone has with the needles and what not, but then when I was allowed, I switched to a pump,

The OmniPod, I was young, and the no tubing is honestly what hooked me, other things but the no tubing and self injecting was great, one of the main reasons I won’t get a CGM or a different pump because it isn’t self injecting when you change it ever so often when needed,

Now don’t get me wrong I do love my pump, but I wanted to know if people could give me advice to what would be a good alternative or helpful advice to get over the fear of I guess the self injecting that I’m not use to, if you know what I mean, which sounds crazy because you think I would be fine with doing it, I’m diabetic,

I ask this as well to get answers to other questions, like site issues, what can you do with them if they do come up, with the lifestyle and body type I have I would say I am limited to the number of places and things I do, like not being about to sleep on the pump or exercise with certain things or the site issue itself.

Now with the site issue, am I just getting that because of the limited spots I am placing the pump, and how long I have been on the pump, that my skin is in a way fighting back.

I feel like such a newbie because I honestly have so many questions that have come up through the years, and not having anyone with the knowledge to help. Yes I have a doctor who is new for me, I had only gone to see him once, but so far him and everyone there seems to know nothing, but my old doctor up and left with no warning, and it’s difficult to find one for multipe reasons. So I’ll stay with the new guy for now, but I feel I’ll be the one teaching him and giving him the information, not the other way around.

I kind of feel lost, I don’t know that I can find a pump that will make things better then they are now along with a CGM, an I don’t know, I feel alone where I am. I don’t know that (as silly as it may sound) overcome the fears I have that I’ve been able to avoid for such a long time. I want to better my numbers for my health becuase of my own experieances and thoughts or theroys.

I truly thank each of you who leave a comment. If you feel more comfortable or want to know more, message me privatly or if you feel it will help everyone overall ask within the comments.

-Sarah

Hey Sarah - totally understandable. Just because we are diabetic doesn’t mean we should be completely immune to sticking ourselves with foreign objects to stay alive!!!

Just reading your text, seems like you are good from a pump perspective. I wear an OmniPod myself and love the tubeless nature and auto insertion. Not sure changing pumps will really be a benefit unless you are unhappy or having issues with your OmniPod. Plus, as it relates to your site issues, I’ve found the OmniPod gives me way more flexibility with sites.

On to CGM. You should really give it a try. It’s the one thing I would not give up even over a pump. I would rather go back to MDI then give up my CGM. I know it’s hard for you to insert, but if you can bring yourself to do it every couple of weeks then I think you would benefit greatly from the information of a CGM. I used to push the inserter in kind of slowish, but then read the slower you do it, the more time your pain receptors have to react. I started doing it quickly and it’s virtually pain free. I assume you worry about the pain aspect of self insertion?

Of course if you can’t get over the fear of self insertion then I think that I read that Dexcom’s next inserter might but automatic, but I’m not 100% sure on that.

Bottom line is that you aren’t alone. I still hate sticking myself as well. It’s not easy. Keep talking to us and stay strong.

2 Likes

The DOC is great, but it sounds like you need interaction with another woman with Type 1. What general area of the country do you live? Finding someone to talk face-to-face is sometimes very, very helpful. I willing to bet that there are some women on this site that could hip you to local support or where to look for it.

1 Like

I hate sticking myself with things, too. Shots were a problem, though I managed to get thru them. Even finger-sticks were (and sometimes still are) tough for me to do… One of the reasons I never tried any sets that don’t come with an inserter. Sure the inserters for, say, Insets are not truly “automatic” but at least they’re spring-loaded, so it’s a little easier. I tried Omnipod for a while, but actually didn’t like its auto-inserter – it startled me too much every time, and I really felt the needle strongly! The Inset inserter, though this may not have been intentional, kind of “slaps” a larger area if skin while inserting the needle – that effectively excites many nerve-endings simultaneously, masking the needle insertion. It helps for me, anyway.

I agree with @mikep that Omnipod seemed to give me more options of sites to use; however, after having used Omnipod for a short while, I became accustomed to some of those other sites – i have since tried them quite successfully with my tubed pump! My current site is on my upper arm, near my shoulder and both comfortable and working well, for instance.

In any event, I’ve been quite happy with my pump and CGM (yes, I am afraid of that inserter, too, but it’s so darn helpful that I get past it, somehow!). I have the Animas Vibe, by the way. Everyone has a preference and I’m sure there are others with even better features, but it’s been working for me.

2 Likes

@mikep
I do like Omnipod, I don’t think that I will change, just was unsure, in one of the downs then the ups with everything. As for the CGM I was supposed to give it a try and was really feeling for it then never did anything, I would love if they did make the inserter auto, but even then do I want to have another piece on my body, away from my pump in different sites, limiting more than I am, I say limit because with my pump I can’t sleep on it or it’ll then hurt and may have to be changed, which then limits spots to use as well, which is one thing that happens every so often with me like right now which is stressful to me. And to answer your one question with the pain aspect, I would say it would have to be that and the getting myself to pull the trigger so to speak. Thank you for the kind words, good to know I am not alone.

@Timbeak48
Lol. Wouldn’t hurt to be able to talk with someone locally no, doesn’t matter the gender to me to be honest. I live in PA. But I defiantly agree face-to-face would be helpful sometimes.

@Thas
I agree, when I was first diagnosed they wouldn’t let me leave until I gave myself shots, needless to say, I was let out without having to do that, but over the years, I can do it all if need be, now I do keep other people in the works of helping so they don’t get rusty, and they could help others who needed the help if it ever came up. I do like Omnipod, as I said, and don’t think I would change, just when I get the site problems, makes me just want to stop everything, though that’s not the smart thing to do so I just try to do my best with the situations. And I think I would be happy and enjoy as well as benefit from a CGM just can’t get myself to do it.

I have been a juvenile onset or type 1 since 1965. I say I have juvenile onset diabetes because that is what I was diagnosed with not type 1

I used the syringe and vial until November of 2015 when I got the Tandem T:Slim G4. My endo had me get the Dexcom G4 in December 2014.

I had cancer surgery in May of 2014 after I discovered I had become allergic to most adhesives. When my endo suggested I try the Dexcom in December of 2014, I didn’t think about my allergies to adhesives. It took me a lot of research before I found what worked for me so I could wear the Dexcom without it bothering me. Unfortunately, I’m one of a few people who have problems with the Dexcom working. The readings on the CGM’s can be up to 100%=/- off from my meter. Everyone wonders if I calibrate it correctly. What medications that will cause incorrect high or low readings am I taking. If I clean my fingers. I do everything correctly. There are several of us out there who just have problems. However, it did get better once Dexcom went from the G4 to the G4/G5.

When my endo suggested I get a pump, I figured since I was able to use the CGM without the adhesive giving me problems, the pump should be okay. BUT, I don’t have a lot of area on my body. I have a LOT of scar tissue everywhere. I also have neck, shoulder, and back issues so moving is problematic at best. I can’t depend on my husband to help with site changes since he still works and I like doing my diabetic things BY MYSELF. I don’t like people helping me with anything, I’m stubborn.

I also have a water bed so I can only place the Dexcom sensor on my left side. I’ve discovered the the pump has to be on the same side of the body as the Dexcom transmitter or it loses signal. I called Tandem and they said they knew about this problem. I can only use the 23" or 24" tubing. When I used the longer tubing, it was like the insulin was bad. Every time I used a tube longer than the 24" ones my blood sugars were high.

I have real problems finding new sites for both the Dexcom sensor and my pump. If I didn’t sleep on the water bed, it wouldn’t be such an issue. But the water bed is the only mattress I can sleep on without causing more problems to my back.

I’m not sure exactly what your issues are, but as you can see Sarah, I have several of them myself. I’ve had to stop using the pump and the CGM a few times because I didn’t have any more areas on my body to use.

@blufickle
Oh yeah, I am very stubborn as well but that goes for literally everything. I only have a problem with the adhesive a few times but that would be it being to well stuck, falling off or a little red during the winter I guess because the skin is a little dry. And I have issues as well but I take one day at a time, I’ve been on this site for years now, I was just expressing how I was feeling to have someone ease my mind, not having anyone who knows “whats up” around me, this is all I have right now, and though I haven’t been on here for a while I’m trying to get back into it for my sake, and I am sorry to hear about your situations, there is always something isn’t there, I may be young but I’ve been through a lot, I think everyone can say that. I’ve only ever stopped my pump use once because I was so fed up and it was not a good time.

The DiabetesMine column on February 29, 2016, noted a “launch toward the end of the year” of an automatic sensor inserter.

Inserter: The company is also excited about its new insertion system that will launch toward the end of the year, which will provide us CGM’ers with a smaller handheld applicator that you just stick on the skin, and push a button to insert (no more plunger!). Dexcom CEO Kevin Sayer says this will be the first new inserter the company has had since launching the CGM 11 years ago, and will be the biggest operational and manufacturing change the company has endured to date.

2 Likes

@Terry4
Good read,
Still looks like you have to press for the application though. ( fear of that still - I’m crazy )
If you know how the Pod (Pump) for OmniPod works, and they would get a CGM to work like that I may consider it more, but I still would have to get over the fact of another device on my body an ya know what I mentioned before with the sites. I would love to get a CGM to better understand and control my everything, it’s just so darn hard for me to.

Sometimes it helps to know that you’re not the only one who has problems. It’s nice to have a place to go and vent, talk, ask questions. I just wanted you to know you’re not alone, obviously I didn’t achieve that.

@blufickle
I feel I am not alone on here, an it makes me feel better when I see someone comment, but I agree it would be nice if I had even just one person, face to face, to vent, talk, an ask questions.

I hear really good things about the events given by Diabetes Sisters
https://diabetessisters.org/

and twice a year there’s the Diabetes Unconference, which many TuD members attend and just RAVE about it

if you can make the trip to northern NJ, there’s a great weekend for adults with type1 at the Diabetes Camp there Camp Nejeda
http://www.campnejeda.org/survive-thrive-adult-t1d-bootcamp/

I went this past May and it was really fantastic! I’m planning on attending again in 2017

2 Likes

I believe that the Dexcom inserter only requires pressing a button that triggers the insertion, it does not require that you follow through with your hand to fully insert the introducer needle. To me, that’s not much different than pressing an electronic button on the Omnipod to trigger an insertion. But I don’t have this fear and I understand that this distinction may be important to you. Maybe a trial of the new Dexcom inserter when it comes out may help.

Have you ever considered talk therapy to help you with this?

1 Like

@Terry4
I may give it a shot, I feel it would help me more on top of what I do now. I was supposed to talk an be walked through a trial but for some reason it never happened so I took it a a sign to wait.

No, you have to insert the Dexcom by pressing a plunger that pushes in the needle basically—it’s definitely not as simple, psychologically, as pressing a button, at least in current models. I do agree that a behavioral therapist might be able to help with it though, likely through some exposure therapy.

@Boo and I were referring to the auto-inserter that Dexcom should be releasing in the next few month. It’s not out yet. I think your behavior therapist suggestion is a good one.

Hi Sarah!

My Name is Kira(using my moms account on this website!) I am 14 and I have had diabetes for about 4 years. I do not use a pump and ever since I left the hospital I have done Multiple Daily Injections(MDI). So basically I just give myself shots every day and I take two different kinds of insulin one is for meals and one is to keep my numbers steady throughout the day.

I know what you mean when you say you have a fear of needles! When I was in the hospital(I was nine when I was diagnosed) the nurse was showing my parents how to give me the shots so I they could teach me, and I took one look at that needle and I screamed and ran to my hospital bed! My parents both had to hold me so the nurse could give me the shot. Ironically when the doctor told me and my parents about the pump that scared me more than the needles did(at this point I had gotten used to them)

Because I self inject I am able to closely control ALL of the insulin that goes into my body so if I have ballet(I do ballet three days a week!) I can lower my mealtime insulin. Because of this super tight control I can do more of the activities that I love! Also when you self inject your skin doesn’t “fight back” because the amount of insulin going in is smaller.

As weird as it may sound doing the self injecting kinda sets you free. As I mentioned I do ballet three days a week (four, now that I’m in the Nutcracker!) and in the summer I swim in my pool all the time!

I was a 65 pound 9 year old when I was diagnosed so finding injection sites was hard! When I inject with needles I find it is a lot more comfortable when I put it my legs or my um… butt…Yes I know may sound kinda weird but for most of us girls (skinny or not) that’s where most of the body fat is stored even if it’s very little there is bound to be some there!

You can get passed your fears! I mean I did when I was nine so maybe I just had time to get used to it, but using needles
gives you certain control that you can’t get with a pump!

~Kira
2 Likes

@MaineMom4 and Kira,

Yes, I use to do MDI when diagnosed way back when, before I went on the pump.
I wouldn’t say I have that much of a fear of them or need therapy as some suggested, just am stubborn as all hell, I can do any form of MDI so to speak but I keep others in line with it, and I won’t do it if I don’t need to.
I guess my main point overall is if I could find or someone could make a CGM like the Pod (insulin pump for Omnipod) with how it inserts.

~Sarah