Don't understand the highs and lows sometimes

I am relatively new to this. Found out at Christmas, cut practically all carbs, got my readings down to an average of 86 and lost 50lb. I thought I was doing well. Then I got a craving for chocolate. Three pieces and my reading was 153. I freaked, and was good for the next few days. Then I went on a total awful binge. It would be easier to list what I didn’t eat. My reading the next morning? 94. I took it twice, as I was sure it would be through the roof - my readings tend to be the highest in the morning anyway, so shouldn’t it be really bad the morning after? I ate one packet of iced sugar cookies for a start and sundry other chocolate bars and slices of cake.

I am doing this on diet and exercise, and I didn’t exercise the day I binged either, so I didn’t exercise it off.

I did check my meter, and it is calibrated and has batteries, and I always wash my hands.

If you are a new Type 2, you probably still have a pretty good second phase insulin response. This means that your blood sugar goes high after eating carbs and then gradually comes down due to the insulin release. Do you test one hour or two hours after you eat? My guess is that you had a very high reading but that you still have enough insulin to bring it down over night. The danger in this is that very high blood sugar can over-stimulate your pancreas and eventually destroy your beta cells. Plus the extra insulin causes insulin resistance and weight gain. So you do need to be careful not to rely on average readings but pay attention to how high you are going after eating. Check out this website to get a handle on how to figure out the best diet for you.

Thanks. I am having trouble with this diet. Actually, the high reading was taken two hours after the chocolate, and the other one the next day, but for a next day reading, that was very good, and I hadn’t expected it to be. It took me forever to get my readings under 100 in the mornings and that was by hardly eating anything, so after the binge I was completely taken by surprise to have a lower reading. However, I don’t think I will be overeating like that again, because I feel lousy still; tired and sluggish.

Thanks for your reply, and I will go and re-read everything I should have learned already. Sometimes it only sticks if you experience it!

Fasting numbers are important but the after meals numbers are very important too. Sometimes doctors don’t emphasize that enough, especially with Type 2s. The post-meal numbers will cause complications eventually, so we really need to pay attention to them. I know what you mean about feeling lousy after eating the wrong things. I felt tired and sluggish for about 5 years before my diagnosis. I was eating what would be considered a really healthy diet for someone without diabetes: lots of whole grains, bread, potatoes, fruit and beans, a fruit smoothie for breakfast with about 100g of carbs, big glasses of orange juice, and lowfat everything. I was lucky to catch the diabetes, since my fasting BG is still very rarely over 100, and my 2 hour numbers were usually under 120. But once I started testing I found that I was going really high after even small amounts of carbs, then getting a big insulin release and going low. The swings are supposed to be just as bad as continual high numbers and they really made me feel terrible. Now I am on small amounts of insulin and I do a very low carb diet since that’s what works best for me to keep my BG normal- between 80 and 120 ALL the time. It is worth it for me because I feel so much better on the this diet and I know I am doing the best I can to avoid complications. Good Luck!

Mary-Ann sounds like your starting to get the hang of this but always remember whats right for one diabetic maybe death to another. I’m a Type 1 from a long way back so I never really knew anybetter than to eat what’s on my diet. I know it must really be hard for you to change your eating habbits all of a sudden, just give yourself time and you will get it! Head up girl you’ll do great!!!

Thank you! It is hard. Mind you, the exercise is even harder! I have never really exercised before, and a slow amble along a pleasant road was my idea of a workout. Now I am in a group class with two other slim and very fit women, and it is murder. Our trainer works us very hard, and then, when I think that I really “deserve” to pig out afterwards, I can’t. Oh well, it is good for me. One thing about the diabetes, I am probably going to end up fitter and healthier than I have ever been, which is rather sad, but true.

I can’t imagine growing up having to watch your blood sugar, except that I guess I would have ended up a little better at organization and math. Anyway, I am off to surf the internet about child diabetes as my son is starting to worry me… Could be a phase, but he is drinking a lot and running to the toilet a lot…

Mary-Anne like I said YOU CAN DO IT! It was hard but at the sametime it was the lovely urine testing that was there at the time not the blood testing. That came about in the early '80’s! HA!

AS for your son, how old is he and is he desplaying any other symptoms? I mean is he losing weight radidly also? Those are usually the 1st 2 signs atleast with both me and my daughter those were it. Good Luck and please let me know how it goes for you and your son too!