Dumb People Comments!

Actually it isn't that stupid a thing to say. More than once on this forum, I've heard people say how glad they are that they are T1 and not T2. Not because of the reason you cited, but because with T1 you don't have to deal with the blame game. And a T1 on insulin does have more flexibility with diet than a T2 on diet/exercise alone.

I make a point of posting my diabetes trials and tribulations on my facebook. On occasion, I get some questions about it, which is really great, because it means the people I know are learning about it, or are even interested in learning. Other times, I've received some ignorant comments like "Speak english, I don't get it." While I can appreciate that, at the same time, there is no shortage of literature about diabetes for anyone who wants to find it. I have no patience or sympathy for people who choose to be ignorant about diabetes.

I am also extremely offended by the diabetes "jokes" about fat people and consuming junk food. It's a harmful generalization, and while the person making the joke may know it isn't the truth, for every online post that jokes about it, there are easily a hundred or more people who come upon it who never ask any more questions and accept that as the truth. I've had a lot of insensitive treatment about how I must have "eaten" my way here, and maybe I wouldn't have diabetes if I'd been on a diet. I'm type 1. It's genetic. It runs in my family. I could have been perfect and I'd still be diabetic.

Oh Judith, I get that too, they are so surprised when I say gluten free carby food is still bad for me.

There was a time when I was explaining to some of my friends about having jelly beans for hypo's.

Their conclusion:

"Awww I wish I could have jelly beans all the time"

Yep. You work it out.

I mostly get annoyed at healthcare professionals should know better, though the diabetes police experts are infuriating & should wear bright badges so we can see them coming.

An RN friend of a friend asked how I often I tested. Based on this she declared me a brittle diabetic knowing nothing about me. Huh, what? Oh yes, she said, I was brittle because only brittle diabetics needed to test 8-10x a day.

Yes, "D" is not my fault. Believe it or not I had a Big Mac and fries at McDonald's last March. I might do it again during the holidays. I'm not an angel, but I have common sense. Folks who eat at a place like that every week may have problems later in life. I just might eat some ice cream soon. Taking control of "D" is more than just pills and insulin. It takes a sensible lifestyle.

Hey Gerri........I'm not a brittle diabetic (whatever that means), but I will have a little peanut brittle now and then....not much though . :)

Hey....I love jelly beans......had three or four last Easter

After I was diagnosed with Type 1 at 49, I heard "You don't look diabetic" a lot, even from the pharmacist at Walgreens the first time I picked up my insulin and other supplies.
Just in the last week I have had 3 people ask me about my pager, which I explained is my insulin pump.
The only really dumb comment came from a trainer at my gym who was trying to sell me supplements. I told him I have Type 1 diabetes, use insulin and really don't feel comfortable with supplements. He told me his dad was also diagnosed with Type 1 as an adult, but he worked with his dad and after 4 years was able to help him lose enough weight to no longer need insulin. He told me he could get me off insulin a lot faster because I already exercise and did not need to lose weight.

Back in the 80s when I was first diagnosed, I worked with a woman who insisted she was hypoglycemic because her fasting BS was something like 114. I tried to tell her that was normal. She said that was low because she was overweight & it should be high.

I was running a lot over the summer and went through around a pound/ week!!

Soon after my daughter was diagnosed at 4 1/2 yrs old, one of my friends said "just get her a pancreas transplant".... I just responded "they don't do that" and changed the subject but in my mind I was punching her in the face :)

You should have been like "Why not, can you go to the supermarket and pick us up one then? I hear they're very easy to come by"

Mental face punch, I like it!

Yes it does. I'm trying to tell ppl how uninformed ppl were but not making any fun of them. I now look back on it and laugh b/c that just showes how much we have to get out there and let ppl know u can't catch it by being around this person.

I get that one all the time...never understood that comment myself, I just took it as I dont look sick...

That is definitely a winner, Kelly. I'd be curious about her "condition" now. Today, those results would be considered "prediabetic" and she'd be watched vey closely. My bet is that, at this point, she's a full-blown type 2.

Hey Mike,

I'm addicted to peanuts! No way I could limit myself to a little peanut brittle.

Brittle is an outdated term meaning not controlled diabetes where people have wild swings despite their efforts.

My crazy thing people say...

Went to the store this morning, Wal-Mart cause it was open early and I ran out of strips last night, have had some wicked lows a couple of times last week so I was really going through them, insurance MIGHT pay for them early BUT I needed them now, not when Target opened up a few hours later. So Im like screw it will go to Wal-Mart, pick up a small container to tide me over till I can get to Target and get them filled there.

So Im in line, and I had picked up a few more things I needed like glucose tabs, cause some days I pop them all day long TRYING to stay high enough, but if I cut back then I run high all day, so its a fun balancing game.

Anyway long story short, Im at the check out, all my stuff on the counter and the lady making conversation I guess notices all the stuff Im buying and says to me, LOL you gotta love this one.

"OH someone has diabetes?" Im like NO idiot Im buying all this stuff for $hits and giggles. First of all its early Im not a morning person, second of all stupid people ■■■■ me off. I just kinda glared at the lady and said um YEAH someone is.

Angela, I wouldn't doubt that she is a full blown Type 2 now either. I would love to know, but never saw her again after I left that job.

I had one from another diabetic. She saw me checking and said "oh! you have the sugars too!" My reading comes back at 34, she looks at it and says "I was devastated when they said I couldn't have soda anymore, but I've gotten used to it!" and then she walks out of the room, leaving me alone with a serious low.