Should I be worried as all the numbers below were in normal limits

BUN 15
Creatinine, Serum .9
BUN/Creatinine Ratio 17
Sodium 138
Protien 6.8
Albumin 3.9
Globulin 2.9

I don’t know… I didn’t have an eGFR done on my last labwork but my results were as follows:

BUN 16
Creatinine 0.6
BUN/Creatinine Ratio 27
Sodium 142
Protein 6.6
Albumin 4.0
Globulin 2.6

All of which were within normal ranges for my lab.

My random M/C ratio was 3mg/g with a range of <30

I was told I was doing superb…

Oh man oh man Karen I hate interpreting all the kidney function tests, and I guess because I’m not a doctor, I shouldn’t try to. I just had a basic dip done last wieek with my annual stuff and he said maybe we should do a 24 hour collection. I then reminded him that I did one last year, and he looked it up and then said “oh, sorry to alarm you, we don’t need to do one this year”…blah blah blah. Then yesterday I got the printed results on paper and compared them to last year’s and nothing mad eany sense because some of the tests were different and I’m confused and mad.
In 2 weeks I’m going to see a CDE for my fat attack and ask her about the numbers and what she thinks. Oy. Always something!!!

Honestly, any time it’s suggested to do a 24 hour collection it’s probably a good idea. Usually it’s because the ratio on the spot check was too high.

I’ve never had a spot check be high, but I’ve done 4 24 hour collections over the years “just to be sure”… 2 of those were while I was pregnant.

I don’t think I have ever seen a eGFR result and when I researched on line, I was just more confused and still am. I think because all the other kidney stuff was in normal range!!!..

Yes yes yes - researching online will make one more confused. One time I was confusing all the results that were taken from the blood with the normal results for urine. And that can make you bonkers in the head. Do you feel you can trust your doctor? If so, then assume he will order the appropriate follow-up tests. If not, then call the office and express your concerns to his nurse. Don’t indulge fear needlessly. We have too many genuine things to be worried about and don’t need to imagine any more.

Well I pulled out my blood work from 12/08 and it said the exact same thing and my MD highlights in yellow, things that are a little off and she did not have that highlighted.

Chronic kidney disease (CKD) is:

The persistent and usually progressive reduction in glomerular filtration rate (GFR less than 60 mL/min/1.73 m2), and/or
Albuminuria (more than 30mg of urinary albumin per gram of urinary creatinine)

So I am thinking I am okay as my is >59 m./min/1.73

Hard not to freak over test results. When I do, my doctor tells me to chill & that test results aren’t 100% accurate. Well, this doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence or make me feel better at all. He said if anything looks off, he sends to another lab. Ok, but then which result do you go with? Insurance won’t cover the same test within a short time either.

Bet it’s fine since everything else is good & your doctor would have told you, if it wasn’t.

I emailed an online Lab Result website and this is their response.

You recently sent ASCLS the following question:
Question

My lab results state >59 ml/min/1.73 and the Limits =>59
My BUN was 15 and Creatinine Serum .90

Protein 6.8 Albumin 3.9.

With a Note: Persistent reduction for 3 months or more in an eGFR <60 mL/min/1.73 m2 defines CKD. Patients with eGFR values >/=60 mL/min/1.73 m2 may also have CKD if evidence of persistent proteinuria is present.

I AM CONFUSED.

Our Response:

Thank you for visiting the ASCLS Consumer Website. We are a group of clinical laboratory professionals that volunteer our time to answer questions about laboratory test results for patients and their families.

Your results look fine and indicate that your kidneys are functioning properly. The note concerning the eGFR is just statement added to each result indicating that if the results are below 60 and consistently drop for 3 consecutive months, that there is concern about loss of kidney function and eventually kidney failure. Your results are >59 ( most laboratories report any normal result as >59 or >60) so your eGFR is fine.

Again, thank you for using the ASCLS Consumer Information Web Page.
As a member of this profession, I am pleased to represent thousands of clinical laboratory scientists who perform millions of laboratory tests yearly. The clinical laboratory is composed of several subspecialty areas: Chemistry, Hematology, Immunology, Microbiology, & Transfusion Services and provides over 70% of the objective data that physicians need for accurate diagnosis and treatment.

John W. Koenig
ASCLS Consumer Response Team