Famous People with Diabetes

Vatfish played for the Oakland A’s and he pitched a perfect game at one point in his career

A guy named John Chick plays defensive end in the Canadian Football League … wears his pump while playing

I wish there was a more famous Type 1 diabetic - someone like Tom Cruise or Oprah. It would rock to have a superfamous Type 1 diabetic that I could look up to and realise that I could still achieve awesome things in spite of my diabetes.

Joe Jonas from the Jonas Brothers

Halle Berry, Wilford Brimley,

Any baseball fans out there? Ron Santos from the Cubs played with type 1 for years and now he broadcasts at alot of the games. Unfortunately he had to have his legs amputated. But we know alot more about type 1 now than when he first got it.

I didn’t see your posting and added Ron Santo. He’s wonderful! My husband and I are huge Cub fans and for the second year in a row we are really disappointed. But there’s always next season. We live about 3 hours from Wrigley in Ft Wayne, IN so we get to alot of the games.

I was watching “Toughest Race on Earth” on the Discovery Channel and was pleasantly surprised to see that one of the featured “mushers” is a Type I diabetic who uses a Minimed Pump.

He talked about keep it from freezing. He describes the sensation of going low (he was down to 44 at one point) and what he hopes to show to young and new diabetics.

Here’s a little bio about him from the website: http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/iditarod/bios/linton.html

Oh no-I’m almost POSITIVE that Halle Barry is Type 1. A VERY high protein diet with a great deal of exercise will greatly lower your insulin requirements, to almost NOTHING -however-the protein is also kidney failure just waiting in the wings

Clifton Chenier-now that is sweet!!! (pun on both DM and his music!)

Evel Knievel is my favorite celebrity diabetis to mention to people. He spent his whole life cheating death and risking his life. But what got him in the end? Diabetes. Kind of shocking, actually.

Halle Berry, but I know she was mentioned already

Jean Smart was the one from Designing women…Nick Jonas…Patty LaBell…Natalie Cole…Nell Carter from Gimme a Break…

Chris Matthews (MSNBC Commentator), and Patti LaBelle are 2 I can think of off the top of my head. Who is that much admired former Cub Baseball Player with diabetes? I think he is one of their announcers now.

I’m not about to read 10 pages of replies, but there’s a bunch of diabetics out there who are famous. Chris Dudley, 7’1" center who played in the NBA for like 14 years. Then Jay Cutler, current QB for the Denver Broncos. I’m not a Broncos fan (go Eagles) but I do find myself pulling for Cutler every time I watch a Broncos game, just because of that common bond. And I’m pretty sure everybody knows Gary Hall Jr., Olympic gold medalist swimmer, is type 1 as well.

Owen Kline, the young in the Squid and the Whale has type 1. His parents are Kevin Kline and Phoebe Cates.

Nick Boynton (Florida Panthers - D) and Toby Petersen (Dallas Stars - C), who both play NHL hockey. Petersen even wears a pump during games - saw a video of him saying, “yeah, it’s a little dented there where someone got it with a stick.” Boynton takes his pump off for games.

Jerry was diabetic??? (I miss Jerry.)

Johnny Cash, Elliot Yamin, and Nicholas Jonas

Damon Dash - Is type 1. Founder of Rocawear and Roca fella records with Jay Z.