Famous People with Diabetes

Can you name some famous people with diabetes? I know a few: Mary Tyler Moore (of course), Bret Michaels… They don’t have to be movie stars, maybe sports figures, authors, musicians, singers, NASCAR…?

Who was the actress that played on Designing Women with the blond hair? She too has diabetes.

You all might not share my enthusiasm, but I just about jumped out of my pants. Ghost Face Killah from Wu-tang is type 1. Wu-Tang for ever everybody

Also H. G. Wells

Wimbledon Champion and pro tennis player/humanitarian Arthur Ashe was diabetic.

Clifton Chenier

“At this time [when these recordings were made] Clifton Chenier was in good physical condition, but his health quickly deteriorated,” said Doudou. “His [female] friend and manager ran off with his best friend and his life savings. He lost a leg because of diabetes. Kidney problems had him going to the hospital twice a week for dialysis. Clifton, not wanting to leave the stage, started playing the harmonica. Later, he had an electric accordion made just for him. After his second appearance at the Rising Sun in 1982, he had to suffer the amputation of his second leg, forcing him to leave the stage for a time. As soon as he regained his strength, his self-confidence mastered his physical forces. Clifton Chenier returned to the circuit, touring Texas and California where his reputation had been long established.” He won a Grammy award in 1984.

Though he died in 1987 at the age of 62, with these recordings Clifton Chenier’s joyous music lives on. The good times keep rolling!

I love looking at the occupations on that page – some people are listed as ‘criminal’ LOL! And it’s fascinating that you can search people by their ailments! Too bad it doesn’t split them into type 1 and 2. I bet most actors are type 1 because they are such stick-figures and exercise addicts though.

I wonder how a pro athlete manages his blood sugar while doing such strenuous exercise. Does he ever talk about it? I wonder if he has to suck on jelly beans or something during the games.

Wow, what was the treatment like back then?

Oh that’s terrible, I had no idea he died. :frowning: I lived in Atlanta and I was in junior high when the Braves were sweeping the nation in the early 90s, and it was so fun to listen to Skip. We listened to every game!

I haven’t checked this thread in a long time b/c I thought if see the Jonas brother guy once more…!!!
Ghost Face Killah…now that’s cool! Well, not cool he has diabetes but you know what I mean.

Here’s who I know:
Nick Jonas
Someone on AI (my mom knows his name, and I think we actually have his CD… but it’s left me just now!)
Halle Berry is diabetic, isn’t she?
I just read a story about a football player; he’s pretty famous, but I can’t remember his name either! :frowning:

I’ll get back to you when my brain kicks back in! :stuck_out_tongue:

Have you been to his new website?

Ron Santo - the voice of the Chicago Cubs on radio does alot here in the Chicago area for diabetes. He is a huge advocate to Diabetes! :slight_smile:

Go Cubs GO! :slight_smile:

I thought I’d heard a long time ago that baseball player Rollie Fingers was also diabetic.

Jean Smart , I believe her name is.
Halle Berry, Luther Vandross (deceased), Nick Jonas (Jonas Bros. Band), Elvis Presley (deceased), Nicole Johnson (Miss America 1999 & host of DLIFE), Michele Nichan (chef), Team Type 1 (bicyclist team), Kris Freeman (olympic cross country skiier), etc…

Actress Dana Hill. She starred in Shoot the Moon, Cross Creek, as well as Fallen Angel.
She passed away from complications of T1 in 1996 at the age of 32. I was at a diabetes youth conference in Washington DC in 1983 and she was there as a speaker. We both would have been 18 yrs old at that time.

Emma Kosta-type 1,Brett Stuart type-1 and marcia hines type-1

Now we can add Jay Cutler to the list.

Syd Barrett from Pink Floyd. RIP

Elizabeth Perkins also starred in Big with Tom hanks

I don’t have time to read all the posts, so I’m not sure if anyone has already said these names.

Jerry Mathers (Leave it to Beaver)
Andrew Lloyd Webber
Mama Cass Eliot (The Mama’s and the Papa’s)
Aretha Franklin
Jerry Lewis
Elizabeth Taylor

But my favorite is Nick Jonas!