First Silhouette

Well after not being able to use quick sets in my thighs due to not enough fat tissue I decided to get a sample of the silhouettes. Medtronic sent me 2 sils but failed to send a sil serter so I manually inserted it. It was rather painless, I was surprised. I guess the real test is going to be if my blood sugars stay in as good control as they do with the quick sets in my stomach. I have to admit right now it feels rather comfortable. With the quick sets I would get immediate pain and bruising within 5 min of it being in. So far I have no pain with the sil.

Cody,
That is great I am using the sil also and manually insert it most of the time. I am using mastisol to help keep it in place and that gets all over the serter. Hopeit continuals to go well for you.
Keep me posted
Andy

I have mastisol on order. I should get it on Mon as my sets keep falling off from sweat no matter what I do. I have tried putting iv3000 down first then my infusion set over that like my pump trainer said but that doesn’t work, have tried iv prep and skin prep both with iv3000 over the top and again it won’t stay on. I live in AL where it is humid.

hi Cody…

hows your blood sugar with the sils? mine went up when i tried the sils… i used four of the samples sent to me by minimed but none of them seemed to work…but i have a feeling it has something to do with my insertion though… i still have the whole box in here im fixin to return to minimed but im thinking of just keeping it coz i wanna start switching sites and use my thigh area…

i agree the sils felt comfortable when i had them on… but much as i like it, i have to take it off and change site for it doesnt work good on my BG readings…

i did insert it manually too, coz the 24 hour helpline told me that its better to insert it by hand, thats what she recommended although using sil-serter is also good…

im glad it you like it… tell me if you have a feedback on what it does on your BG… i think im gonna keep the whole box…im confused…

When I changed my infusion set I was at 130, an hour after changing the site out I was 119. I will keep an eye on my sugar the next few days and let you know if my sugar is staying stable with it.

wow…,i guess it works for you…

which area are you putting it on? outside thigh area?

i dont use mastisol or IV dressings, mine stays in place all the time,well maybe because during the days im inside the laboratory and its pretty cold in there…

I have it on top of my thigh. What I did was I put the infusion set flat on my skin and then just slid the needle in and then removed the adhesive to stick it down. It isn’t in super deep but it is deep enough for the insulin to get in my body. I do a lot of walking year round so my legs are very muscular which is why the quick sets didn’t work and I am assuming cause of all the movement and sweating is why I can’t get them to stick. I have a friend on the same pump as me and he has the same problems with it sticking. He only lives about 30 mins from me so we are both in the same weather all the time. We have already hit triple digits here.

i see… same here. i think TX is more humid than where you are…

anyways, im gonna try again next infusion set change…

keep me posted though,

thanks Cody…

I will and your welcome

Cody,
I am in Dallas and know what you are talking about being hot and humid. I don’t even have to have the detachol to remove the sil.

Andy, i didnt know youre from Dallas… im near Abilene area…yeah i agree, its been very humid here even on spring time…

Marvin I am going to be in Mineral Wells the weekend of the 11th maybe we can get together.

well, looks like on that weekend im heading to Grandbury to go visit a friend that works down there…

well, yeah maybe i can meet you somewhere… that would be nice…

Well while my blood sugars were excellent on the silhouette. They stayed stable as they were with the quick sets. I got up this morning to a thigh that was just absolutely killing me. It started yesterday but it only hurt at the infusion site and I checked it and it wasn’t red or anything. Sugars stayed stable all day, got up today and went to take a shower and my thigh was hurting worse but still sugars were stable. I decide to take the infusion set off after my shower. I took it off and the area immediately turned red and started to swell. There is a huge knot in my thigh. I am not sure if I hit muscle or what, but I guess there is just going to be no way I can do thigh sites even with the sils. This picture was taken 5 hours after removing the site. It doesn’t appear to be infected, but it does hurt.

oh same here… i just decided today that there is no way thigh sites will work for me… i mean, this time i got it right but the problem is that i have a very slow absorption rate on these areas…to the point that my BG levels spike up to 200 post meal and this doesnt happen to me when i was using my abdomen and back areas… so i changed my site today to my abdomen…i think im just gonna rotate the sites good, coz this is the only area that works for me as of now…

sorry to hear that cody,

Yea i know the feeling. Looks like my stomach, sides, and buttocks are the only places I can use. Seems like my thighs just don’t have enough fat to be able to use them.