Foot Issues -- Are these related to the D?

I’m just going to list them out…

1. Dry scaly skin right where the ankle “bump” is. I have had this since I was 13 or 14, and lotions don’t seem to help.

2. Bottoms of feet burn if I stand too long.

3. Cramping in some toes while walking on the treadmill or using the ellptical. Doesn’t seem to matter how wide / roomy the shoes are. Sometimes this happens walking outside too and I have to stop and flex my foot to make the cramp go away so I can walk again.

4. Every morning my feet are very stiff and tender, until I walk around for a while. Coming downstairs to use the bathroom during the night, or first thing in the morning, I can’t take the steps one at a time, but I have to shuffle-step. My feet just don’t feel very flexible till they “warm up.”

I have been diagnosed with plantar fascitis before, and I am very overweight for my height, and I have always chalked these things up to carrying too much weight. But it be because of diabetes? And if so, what can / should I do about it?

I don’t think my BG goes very high, at this point. I have never measured it over 167, and usually it is well below 140 post-prandial. So I should not be having diabetes-related foot problems, should I?

To address your number 4, I have plantar fasciitis and have read that there is a high incidence in diabetics. My podiatrist is fabulous and even with a heel spur, I am back to painless mornings. All we did was one cortisone shot in the heel and 3 weeks of stretching exercises. I wear orthotic insoles in my sneakers and stopped wearing flipflops, mules, or any shoe that would cause my feet to grip or contract the fasciia during the day.

But it sounds like you need to have a diabetic foot check-up. If your insurance will cover a trip to the podiatrist, please go now. Your feet should not be burning and that could be an indicator of neuropathy problems.

I agree that you should see a foot doc - so much easier to nip it in the bud before things progress.
I have had pf on and off for many years, and once I got the custom orthotics it went away. I am not particularly athletic but do do a lot of stretching of my legs and calves. It makes a difference.
I think a podiatrist would have many suggestions to help you - don’t suffer unnecessarily.
Good luck.

Thank you! I guess I have just held off because with the infertility and the diabetes and PCOS I feel like I am seeing SO MANY doctors! I guess I better get used to it!

Thanks for your advice. It makes total sense!