Frustration!

I'm so frustrated right now. I've worked hard to get my sugars under control. In 3 months my A1C went from 7.9 to 5.8 so I know I'm on the right track. But my weight!!!! I just wonder if it is worth not eating whatever whenever I want. I can easily gain 10 pounds over night and then it takes almost 2 weeks to get back to where I was; but, NOT lower. I eat 1/2 cup oatmeal mixed with a a little over 1/2 cup water cooked in the microwave for 1 minute 30 seconds. When done I had a little sugar free french vanilla coffemate. Lunch and dinner is a vegetable stirfry with 2-4 ounces of chicken or pork stirred in. Bedtime snack to keep my sugars from dropping overnight is popcorn. What else can I do. Due to other health issues I have trouble walking but do my home exercises daily and the stationary bike when able. Due to the overnight weight gains they limit my fluid to 3-6 glasses daily and I take 120 mg of lasix daily. Why keep trying. Right now it just doesn't seem worth it.

I know what you mean about frustrating. It is hard when you work so hard to lose only to gain back in a short time. But if you keep at it you will find the loss is greater than the gain and soon your on your way to your goal. I somehow managed to achieve my goal but I still bounce up and down 5 pounds it seems almost weekly.

So why keep trying, because I know no better way to lose the battle to diabetes than to quit trying.

I've struggled with my weight all my life. No support or encouragement growing up and then several unusual medical problems as an adult. Weight loss is a MUST but I can't even drop a "true" pound no matter what I do. I can't weigh and know what my "true" weight is due to the edema. I truly appreciate the feedback and support. Normally I'm a happy person but lately my family tells me I look and act depressed. Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!! I've GOT to do something and right now I'm seriously considering an all water diet. After all, my liver doctor said if I was on a desert island with only water he guaranteed I would lose. And then went on to say if I don't get this fat off I'll be dead in 5 years and that was a year ago and I still weigh the same. Sorry to vent!! I do apologize for my rambling. LOL

I understand your frustration unfortunately I can’t give you any advice cause I don’t know much about the meds you take but I just wanted you to know that I totally understand the weight struggles. It seems when my sugars are perfect I seem to gain weight. I know the blood sugars are more important than my vanity but still hard. I wish you luck!

Thanks for the support. Meds are too numerous to list. Hmmmmm, maybe I should condsider owning the pharmacy I use??? Add that to the owning the hospital and I should be rich. LOL I do appreciate the support and I will figure out how to put the smile back on and keep plugging away even if it doesn't work.

Great!

If the nighttime BG is dropping, maybe adjust the timing of basal insulin to back off on it a bit and work to avoid the popcorn? I'm a huge nighttime snack addict too, and I know that it's hard. One of my buddies has lost about 90-100 lbs and reduced his bodyfat *enormously* by strictly following the P90X diet guidelines, pretty much only eating carbs in conjunction with workouts, to fuel muscle growth. He eats very cleanly and avoids carbs in the evening, pretty much after 5:00 PM entirely. This was a total lifestyle change for him (which I've been unable to replicate...no willpower...) but salty stuff at night makes me retain water and weigh more in the AM and, depending on the other issues to which you allude, perhaps it might be a useful think to experiment with?

I think Acidrock has a point about the popcorn. It has a lot of carbs. I have found that carbs cause me to gain weight as much or more that fat does. I still love my popcorn as a metter of fact I ate some last night but now it's an occasional treat instead of a frequent thing.

I lost weight by limiting carbs not by limiting fat. Acidrock is also right about changing insulin timing to avoid night time lows. You should take insulin to match your carb intake not the other way around. Adding carbs to cover the insulin you are taking is almost guaranted to cause weight gain. Excess carbs plus insulin equals fat.

You might try reading Dr Bernstein's book "The Diabetes Solution" It is extreme but it has some good advice. You don't have to follow his program totally to make a difference.

All of you have been giving me great advice that I'm going to TRY to incorporate. My liver has almost completely stopped working at all so I'm willing to try anything. I have stopped using humalog now and take my lantus 12 hours apart or as close to as possible. I've tried the bedtime protein and it worked for a time but not lately. I'm one of those crazy people that will drop or climb for no apparent reason and I can't tell the symptoms until it is extreme (sugar around 60 etc). I have my morning oatmeal and then do my exercises at home or on the stationary bike. I will try the protein at bedtime again and see if that helps any. Thanks all for your suggestions and support!!