G4 and Showering

In the beginning with the 7 I had problems with the sensor after showering and it always appeared to have "condensation" appear in the place where the transmitter attaches. This is when I began to "blow dry" the sensor after showering. Low heat, only takes about 20 to 30 seconds. Still do the same with the G4, I just replaced my transmitter a little over 1 year old as the battery finally wore out. Never have had problems with ??? after showering since I began to help it dry out. I do not cover the sensor during showers, and I have not had to remove a sensor and dry it out. Always make sure the sensor is fully clipped in too - you have to hear both sides click when you place the transmitter in after inserting. good luck! It takes a little trial and error to figure out what works best for each person!

AAAHHHHH!!! Just showered and again it went to the hour glass and now is at the ??? stage. Very frustrated!

Thanks, but I keep the receiver in the bathroom.

This also happens to me practically every time I shower in the second week of sensor life so I think it must be caused by water getting under the transmitter when the adhesion is wearing off. Drives me nuts too! Like you, I only wear the sensor horizontally on my tummy. Incidentally, I've been using G4 periodically for a year and a half and I've noticed that more recent sensors don't last anything like as long in either adhesion or sensor life as the first few batches...

I completely agree with you about sensor life. Initially I was routinely getting 3 weeks out of a sensor, lately the most is 11-12 days and even then I get long stretches of ??? but someone else posted he got almost a month out of one recently so individual results may vary - like everything else with D.

Forgot to mention I also “paint” the Dexcom adhesive with skin tac after insertion. I use the skin tac wipe and “soak” the Dexcom tape but I believe the skin tac is also sold in a liquid. Between the skin tac and using the blow dryer after showering I get well over 2 weeks (if a good sensor) without loss of adhesive or problems with showering.

And does it ever get the ??? after showering?

I paint liquid Skin Tac onto the sensor dressing before insertion... being sure to avoid painting the area where the sensor inserts, and routinely get 2 weeks from a sensor without any problems... and could likely get more. Sometimes I have to reinforce the dressing with HypaFix tape by week two, if the edges begin to peel. I cut a small circle out of the center so the transmitter is not covered, as the tape seems to stick better that way. I am also a CDE trainer and have trained numerous individuals in use of the G4 in the same way that I use it, and receive very few if any reports of ??? or loss of sensor during shower.

I think that applying a good dressing like Opsite flexigrid is key to both prolonging sensor life and reducing the dreaded ??? due to moisture. I swim most days in summer, sometimes spending several hours in the pool and I only get the ??? towards the end of the sensor life which is usually just short of 3 weeks. I’ve never had a problem when showering.

I wear mine on the outside of my upper thigh, usually a little closer to the back of my thigh than the front but not where I'm likely to sit on it. I never feel it, ever. I've tried my flanks, aka bum, but the tricky part is placing it where the seams of my pants do NOT touch it, because that pressure (I've found) can occasionally cause the readings to be off.

I dab a Skin Prep wipe on the bottom of the sensor, making sure I don't go near the area where the sensor inserts. Then I cover the Dex tape with Hypafix. (I do not cover the sensor.) I replace the Hypafix every week. I'm on week 3 of my sensor.

Dexcom does make shower covers:
http://www.tudiabetes.org/group/dexcomusers/forum/topics/anyone-ever-tried-dexcom-s-shower-cover-for-the-g4

Have you contacted Dexcom about your problem?
Perhaps you could convince them to send you a sample shower cover to see if that fixes the issue.

Thanks very much for this. I actually determined what was causing the problem. It was that the bottom clip was not functioning properly. Now with a new sensor, it is working correctly and showering is not causing any issues.

Thanks again

hooray!
Glad to hear you can enjoy the G4 now!