G6 not compatible with Android 13

Aug 2022.

Google pixel phone here.

Now I’m only using Dexcom G6 receiver since the newly downloaded Android 13 can’t connect to the G6 transmitter.

That’s the main problem now.

Android 12 worked fine. One cannot go back on installed phone updates, I think.

Dexcom tech support is a word salad with no useful info.

Also deeply worried about G7 roll out after the various G6 fiascos including my latest phone disappointment this week.

My G7 concerns are compatibility, coverage, and medicare. Is G7 even DME any more? What part is durable if it’s all throw away? I’m guessing the G6 receiver will not read G7 but a new G7 reciever is necessary. Will that exist?

What about Android 13?

What’s the scoop on medicare coverage for G7?

How long will G6 be supported and supplies available in USA for G6?

Should I worry about having a creepy Advantage plan with no secondary?

Should I worry about no endo office to guide me and a PCP who relies on me to figure it out myself since they have no idea or interest about anything other than their own billing codes?

i haven’t read the dozens of old threads on it all, to be honest, because over 6 month old material is not necessarily reliable.

Maybe a knowledgeable user can simplify it for me with the latest information or something helpful like what to do and what to expect?

There are 2 options for non-supported android phones.
I use xDrip on my non-supported android.

Another option is to use the BYODA option, which basically modifies the Dexcom app to bypass the compatibility check.

There are several discussions here and also youtube videos on how to implement these.

Many here, including me, prefer the xDrip option.

1 Like

Android 12 was a disaster for battery life on pixels. I will stay on 11 until the sun goes nova. No reason to update. Pixel 4A. Best phone for the money. Why update? Just to get some fancy bubbles. This from an ex mainframe systems programmer. And 13 comes with the added you cannot go back feature.

@Aeonn does your issue still persist with the G6 and your Pixel Android 13?

Can any other users who have upgraded to A13 add if they’ve had a similar experience as @Aeonn, or if theirs works fine?

I’ve held off upgrading because I don’t want to lose this functionality!

Thanks!

g6 doesn’t run on Android 13. i get mes saying can’t pair transmitter. So, then you must use the receiver only. The phone will not work any longer with g6. You cannot undo the phone upgrade to A13. Dexcom, as of today, does not support A13. It’s a real shame. Tech Support had no answer. I speculate the explanation is Dexcom blocks running on A13 unless FDA or CMMS says it’s allowed. Insofar as g7 launch is pending, why should one expect g6 issue fixed for A13? It’s pitiful IMHO.

Thank you.

But I have no idea how to do those non-supported work-arounds and if it’s just more trouble or oddity.

I love Xdrip, but it does indeed expect one be a little tech savvy.

The build-your-owm-Dexcom app, though, is a complete misnomer. You don’t have to actually make anything. No tech skills required at all. All you do is answer a quick questionnaire, and they email you the install file. You just click the link in your email. Your phone will probably pop up a warning saying it doesn’t have permission to install the file from your email app, since it’s not the Play Store, but give you a link to follow to grant the permission. After doing so, click the emailed link a second time, and this time the install will run, and you’re in business. The app will work identically to your previous experience with it, no matter the phone or Android version.

The hardest part is simply choosing the right version for you from the possibilities. If you’re in the US, you want “G6 US v1.10.0.6 (Android 9+)”. If you’re outside of the US, then you want the “G6 International v1.10.0.2 (Android 9+)”

On the second page of the questionnaire, you have to click the first box about removing the comparability check. That’s the entire point here. The others, you can just pick the default option. I would highly recommend you choose “yes”, instead, on the question asking: “Do you want swiping/dismissing a notification to take the same action as pressing OK?” Choosing “yes” here will allow you to quickly stop an alert by just swiping it away in the main notification bar, rather than having to open the app and clear the notification there.

Thank you for all these details. Somebody else may benefit. You are very kind. But, I’m backed into a corner. I am not well and have too much on my plate to embark on a new venture into the unknown abyss to build my own interface or whatever that learning curve entails. My simplest option is to use the g6 receiver and forget my new phone. My most recent (irreversible) mistake was updating A12 to A13.

update Feb 01, 2023

Dexcom still is NOT supporting Android 13.

My phone is not the issue. The operating system is the problem. Dexcom is then the problem. My phone and Android 13 are perfectly good but now unable to use Dexcom G6.

This is a terrible user experience meaning one must use their junky receiver without the superior features on the phone. That’s one more thing to carry. Also, once loaded 13 you cannot go back to Android 12 or below.

Dexcom’s lame response to me was “that’s why we recommend people do not use auto update settings on phones.” That blames me the user, not them. Truth is i did not use auto update but did update without knowing that it would mean the phone would then no longer be compatible with G6. How was I to know before the fact? How I got the update was surely not the issue. Dexcom knows but blames you for updating Android which is not acceptable.

This means no android phone with the latest software operating system works with Dexcom G6 as of this date in 2023.

I doubt Dexcom has plans to fix it. It’s got to be a business plan by Dexcom. I have no evidence that there’s a technical problem accounting for Dexcom G6 not working with the latest Android operating system. I find the company probably deceptive for not telling me strictly avoid to upgrade to Android 13 before i did so last year. I find them probably deceptive for ongoing verbal responses from tech support leading a reasonable user to think that they’re working on it once they become aware of it. If they were working on it, is over a year enough time to do so?

Also Dexcom says they have no info on when G7 will be available. That’s a bad answer too. Who wants it?

I feel cheated by Dexcom.
There are other companies.

1 Like

I am very irritated by Dexcom too. I have an iphone 13 promax and it randomly wouldn’t alert. So when the update came along I downloaded it thinking it might fix the problem. Nope, still happens, but now I have critical alerts that can’t be muted anymore. Dexcom blames it on Apple. But it’s Dexcom that chose to use Apple’s critical alert system. Apple intended for critical alerts to be urgent warnings like floods etc, not something that you use each day. Dexcom even addresses the issue on their site and says to complain to Apple. But it’s Dexcom that decided to use that system.

Dexcom really needs competition. Hopefully it comes soon. Libre’s improving but because you still can’t calibrate it, it can be very lacking in accuracy. Dexcom doesn’t really seem responsive to what users want.

If you were able to update your phone to Android 13 you are quite capable of following Robyn_H’s directions for installing the “Build You Own Dexcom App” which will look and feel just like the official Dexcom app for which you are pining. Give it a try and this part of your troubles will be in the past.

1 Like

I am on a Samsung and upgraded to Android 13 months ago with trepidation, and my Dexcom G6 works just fine. I am sorry, but it is your phone that is the issue, so you either need to get a compatible phone, wait for an undetermined amount of time to have Dexcom make their software compatible with your particular phone, use the “Build your own Dexcom App,” get a CGM from another manufacturer that is compatible with your phone or go back to fingersticks only.

to cj.

thanks but my phone is compatible with Dexcom. Dexcom says it is compatible. My same phone worked fine with G6 before Android 13 with Android 12. There’s nothing wrong with my phone. It happens to be a Google “pixel 4a” supplied by Google in 2022, not some weird legacy or antique oddity phone. It’s a very common Android device that otherwise is impeccable to me. You are, therefore, surely mistaken. I guarantee you that Dexcom as of today does not support Android 13. Feel free to call them to ask and they will tell you Android 13 is not compatible with G6.

For G6 to be under Medicare Part B DME I was required to purchase out of pocket the receiver. It’s the receiver that is durable, not the transmitter.

in US everyone with G6 was required to purchase the receiver that comes with a G6.

Obviously the G6 transmitter and sensor are not DME. That’s not my point or problem. We all should know that the reciever is the DME part. That’s beside the point here.

but G7 is not yet available because Dexcom has not yet released it in US as of today.

We have no idea from Dexcom yet if the G7 will support Android 13 because they will not tell you if you call to ask, although they surely must know and have a plan. They have tech support say we don’t have that info yet.

Let’s guess that G7 will work fine with Android 13 and they will not fix the Android 13 problem with the G6 to encourage more converts from G6 to G7. That’s merely speculation but seems a reasonable assumption. It’s a multi billion dollar market with very smart strategic planning with one top priority. That is not you or me but their profit. We don’t critique that motive. In the end, they exist because of their profit–which i am in no way opposed to.

The big mess up by Dexcom was NOT alerting me and others to NEVER update to Android 13 before I did so when they knew it was a big deal and problem for G6. They took to silent route and then act innocent. The result to me is irritation due to disappointment, $ spent and wasted on this new compatible pixel google phone because the old terrific phone couldn’t take G6 any longer, and overall continuing bad user experience that Dexcom is at fault for, not me at fault and not my phone at fault.

1 Like

True, I never got a notification from Dexcom to not update my phone, but Tandem requested turning off auto updates.

1 Like

who can say until we see?

It appears to me as an average person that right now Dexcom must surely know, but G6 users must be kept in the dark.

My guess is that many people here know and will shill for Dexcom. Let’s ask them. Maybe we can remain bamboozled, complexified, and side tracted or distracted further.

thanks for saying

thanks but i am not building my own ap to theoretically troubleshoot and solve the issue.

Did you try the t:connect app?