G6 Sensor Insert Failure

This may be old news to some, but has anyone had a G6 sensor insert failure? Needless to say, but I was shocked when I press the insert button and inserted the sensor, but I could not remove the applicator from the sensor. I dd finally get the bonded sensor and attached applicator off.

Yes I had this happen last year. And then again a few months later. That second time I was able to wiggle it a bit and it released.
They asked me to send them back, which I did, I think they had some manufacturing issues. If you are having it now, let’s hope it’s not a new issue

Yes, my son has had this issue, although it’s been some months, maybe longer since it’s happened. But it was more than once. Like @Timothy, Dexcom replaced them and asked us to send them back. It seems slightly horrifying to have this happen - sorry you had to go through it.

I’ve only had it once, but apparently it’s a known issue. In my case the filament did withdraw along with the inserter when I pulled it off, but apparently in some cases it gets left behind. Weirdly, I’m told it’s not something you have to go screaming off to the ER to have removed—there are some other stories around about that.

I had it happen just once, too. Normally, I find the G6 insertion fairly painless. Barely noticable, if it weren’t for the loud click. But that one tone it got stuck, it really hurt! I actually screamed.

The needle wasn’t able to withdraw and was stuck in me. It was a real pain in the butt to remove it all with the needle at a weird angle. Like the others, Dexcom sent a biohazard return kit so it could be investigated.

Others have reported that if you whack the side of the inserter, it may trigger the needle to retract. Use a wooden spoon, screwdriver handle, etc to whack it.

However, I have not actually had this happen to me.

Yes, I had this happen to me earlier this year at the end of February. Lot number 5278438. The needle retracted, but the applicator insertion mechanism jammed on part of the sensor probe. When I pulled the applicator off the sensor probe was pulled out with it.

Notify Tandem. At the very least they should replace the sensor you lost. In my case they actually sent me 2 sensors as a replacement. I think the intent was to compensate me in that small way for the trouble the mechanical failure had caused me.