Gaps in Dexcom CGM readings on T:Slim G4 or Animas Vibe?

I’m curious to know if anyone has had issues with their integrated pump CGM losing connection between the transmitter and pump? I have the T:Slim G4, but any Animas Vibe users are welcome to respond as well! Every so often, I get gaps in the trend line where no readings were collected. It’s not an issue of distance from the transmitter to pump as they are both attached to me, but I can’t seem to figure out why this is happenning. I know the T:Slim G4 was just released, but I wasn’t sure if any other T:Slim G4 users OR Animas Vibe users might be having or have had the same issue at one point?

I have the Vibe. I seem to have the opposite happen – almost solid connectivity from the viewpoint of the Vibe, but many breaks (varying from 5 min to 2 hours) in the receiver. I keep both calibrated because I like the louder alarms of the receiver AND have started using Share so I can see my BG on phone or my watch. I think that the problems were more prevalent when the receiver is on the side of my body opposite to where the sensor is - but the Vibe does not lose the signal even when it is so-positioned, unlike the receiver.

Unhelpful, I know, but that’s been my experience so far.

1 Like

One thing that can cause a gap in coverage is static. I wear a lot of synthetic fabric athletic clothes and have have to be very careful where I place my transmitter. I have mostly abandoned leg sites because all of my workout pants are synthetic. I have much better luck with arm sites because I wear a lot of cotton tee shirts or else the transmitter is below my sleeve length.

I wrote a blogpost about this a while back and I truly believe it can be an issue. I have heard of other athletes who have had the same problem. Although I was using a Dex receiver when I wrote this article, there is no reason that the same gaps in coverage wouldn’t occur with the T:slim G4 and the Vibe because the issue is with the transmitter. I use a Vibe but rarely use it as my CGM receiver. Would love to hear what you think of the t:slim G4.

1 Like

I have the dexcom using enlite sensors. It drops connection for no reason I can assess. Any ideas welcome.

I really like the T:Slim part but not the integrated G4:( I just found out from Tandem technical support that lost connection between the Dexcom transmitter & pump receiver is VERY common. It’s so common that they even stated that in their user guide! I would have appreciated that knowledge before I made my decision. I’m trying to figure out how I could switch over to Animas Vibe because when I do want to wear a sensor, I don’t want to have to carry 2 devices around. I just don’t trust the CGM part of the T:Slim… It’s too much to worry about if the receiver pump will pick up readings or not:(
@Laddie

I don’t think it’s a good idea to use Enlite sensors with Dexcom receiver😁 They are from 2 different companies and aren’t meant to be used together!
@anon67650431

How is this even possible??? I always thought Enlite sensors couldn’t be used with the Dexcom system…kind of like dogs can’t mate with cats. My head is spinning and I am questioning everything I thought was true. :thinking::scream:

I suspect @anon67650431 has just confused terms. I don’t think it’s technically possible.

My mistake I meant Medtronic. I had previously used Dexcom. Apology to Dexcom.

i am using tslim G4 pump along with dexcom g4. For me the connection problem is so identical compare with Dexcom receiver and Tslim g4 pump. All the issues happen where is transmitter locate and what kind of cloths i am wearing. But there is some difference of display glucose reading at pump and dexcom receiver due to different version of software is using.

What part of the world are you located in? The reason I ask is that you previously posted in SwissChocolate’s thread and left the impression you are also using the Medtronic 640G pump. But that pump … and the “Enhanced Enlites” which are used with it … is only available outside of the US.

Below is a quote/link to a post I wrote a few weeks back about dropping the connection between the MiniLink transmitter and a Medtronic pump. Maybe it might speak to what you seem to be wondering about. (Or not).

(Note: The right arrow :arrow_right: in the upper right hand corner of the quote(s) below is a link which takes you back to the original post which is being quoted.)

I have the tslim G4 as well. I was told by a rep that it doesn’t go to human tissue very well. Does it make sense? No idea but since then, I put my pump and sensor on the same side and I have no issues.

1 Like

Yes, that’s what I was told, but AFTER going through tech support to figure out a solution. I was unaware that the transmitter and receiver range for the T:Slim G4 was very small. I was under the impression that it was the same range as the Dexcom receiver. My rep did tell me that since the human body is majority water, the connection is weaker and combine that with the hard casing of the pump/receiver, connection is even more sensitive!
@V11

I’ve finally discovered that the transmitter and receiver have to be on the same side of the body in order to get consistent readings. Knowing that that was the problem, I’ll still stick with Tandem because the T:Slim G4 is still a great pump!
@kn1

I’ve had this problem at times during sleep. I’ll try your tip keeping them on the same side. Otherwise, Tandem and T:Slim work very well together.

I didn’t make the connection when this topic was first created that the G4 friendly pumps appear to be butting up against the same problem Medtronic CGM users have always faced. Wow. Who would a thunk it? :scream:

Rather than repeat myself, here’s a link to the thread containing my “So? Not just Medtronic then …” post which is over on the Insulin Pump Forums board.

In that thread there is a post from someone who found the excerpt quoted below on the Tandem Diabetes site. I added the bold italics to highlight the part I thought is pertinent.

#####PRECAUTIONS – Using Dexcom G4 PLATINUM CGM with your t:slim G4 Insulin Pump
AVOID separating the transmitter and pump by more than 20 feet. The transmission range from the transmitter to the pump is up to 20 feet without obstruction. Wireless communication does not work well through water so the range is much less if you are in a pool, bathtub, or on a water bed, etc. Types of obstruction differ and have not been tested. If your transmitter and pump are farther than 20 feet apart or are separated by an obstruction, they might not communicate or the communication distance may be shorter and result in you missing severe hypoglycemia (low blood glucose) or hyperglycemia (high blood glucose) events.

My life is further complicated because I sleep on a water mattress (I know, I’m an antique…) – Fortunately, I can manage to avoid sleeping ON the sensor, so, once I realized the obstruction issue, I don’t. Ironically, I have found that - even if kept in the same pocket - the Vibe almost never loses the signal, even though the Dexcom receiver occasionally does.

I’ve gotten to the point that the time I spend worrying about that is significantly less than the amount of time it took me to write thing! :slightly_smiling:

I wear the Dexcom CGM and Vibe both on my stomach and for no reason they stop talking with each other. Sometime I will have to put the pump RIGHT NEXT to the Dexcom for about 3 minutes for them to start communicating again.

There is no reason for this, I can be sitting watching tv and it will start shouting at me. I have called both companies about this and they have documented it but, neither has given me a reason why this is happening. :grimacing: