Generic insulin

What is the equivalent generic for Humalog? My insurance lists 10 different ones. Some they cover and some they don’t. It’s so confusing.

Here is info on humalog and bio-similar admelog.
Generally, admelog would be lower cost, but insurance will vary.

3 Likes

Thank you, this article helped.

Insulin Lispro is also a generic for Humalog made by Lily and is actually identical to Humalog just a different name.

1 Like

This last refill for Novolog was the insulin aspart, which is the exact Novolog and also produced by Novo Nordisk. What irritated me was that the substitution came unannounced and the containers were identical to Novolog except that nowhere did they say Novolog. It seems to be working fine in my Tandem.

Your question sent me in search of the definition of generic. I found this source that defined generic as an “exact copy of the active drug in a brand-name medication.”

But modern insulins are produced using a living cell culture. When making an equivalent medication using living cells, the pharmaceutical industry calls it a “follow-on version” or biosimilar.

From the above link:

A follow-on drug is sometimes called a biosimilar, and it’s a bit like a generic version of a biologic drug. (A biologic drug is a medication that’s created from parts of living organisms.) A follow-on drug is very similar to the parent biologic drug. However, because a biologic drug is made using living cells, the follow-on drug isn’t totally identical.

But if a manufacturer makes two drugs using the exact same process and the only difference is the label applied to the end products, then the term, generic, is applied. That’s confusing, for sure.

Since Eli Lilly now makes Insulin Lispro from the exact same manufacturing process as Humalog, it is considered a generic version of Humalog. Whereas Admelog is produced by another company, Sanofi, with a different process, it is considered a biosimilar drug.

Biosimilar drugs can vary in small ways such as using different preservatives, a difference that may rarely affect a few people.

If Pharma’s intention was to confuse patients, they’ve certainly succeeded!

In summary, Insulin Lispro is a generic version of Humalog and Admelog is a biosimilar of Humalog. This distinction, beyond price, likely matters little to patients.

In @Willow4’s situation, Insulin Aspart is the generic form of Novolog.

4 Likes

My insurance, UHC, doesn’t cover it.

Thank you Terry. I think it’s crazy how Insurance .companies now determine what meds you take. I’ve had Type 1 for 59 years and never, did I think I would be confused about insulin. Why would insurance not cover the exact generic but cover the bio similar……other than money! I guess I now have to try Admelog.

Exactly. We need legislation in the US to outlaw non-medical drug switching. I have been successfully infusing Apidra, an analog insulin, for more than a decade. Yet another analog insulin, Novolog, produces raised red welts when I infuse it via a pump.

Pharma may think that these two insulin formulations are equivalent, yet in this diabetic, they certainly are not! I am luckily eligible for Medicare Part B insulin coverage and enjoy freedom from the nonsense of non-medical drug switching for insulin, something everyone should enjoy.

1 Like

I don’t know what the benefit of a company making one product and labling it differently and charging less.
I think it’s just a way to fend off other companies from competing.

1 Like

It all depends on the Insurance Policy Formulary. Example on mine Humalog is $600+, Insulin Lispro is $365 yet Ademelog is $65.