Goals, Not Resolutions

There are many people in the DOC who have been writing lately about their resolutions for 2011. Well, I'm not very into the idea of resolutions - let's face it, 'New Year's Resolutions' kind of have a reputation for failing, right? But that's not to say I'm not a goal-oriented person. I certainly do like to set goals for myself.

So without further ado, I am 'going public' with my goals (not just necessarily for 2011, some will be shorter-term, some will be longer-term).

1. Maintain or improve on my A1c of 5.9 (which I honestly still question, as my meter average would have equated to an A1c of about 6.5 (maybe I'm having more lows in the night than I think/know about???)) which I received on December 14.

2. Continue losing weight. I've already lost 5 lbs in the past 2 weeks. I'd like to lose another 20-25 lbs. (I was at the high end of a 'normal' BMI and I'd prefer to be at the low end.)

3. In order to make losing weight possible, I need to use less insulin. To use less insulin, I need to bolus less (since my basals are kind of 'set', of course). Meaning less carbs, though certainly no where close to a 'low carb' diet, as I don't buy into that. I was averaging about 225 grams of carbs a day. Now shooting for 150-175 grams per day. Doing well so far. That's a decrease of 5 to 7.5 units of insulin a day. Not much, but enough to assist somewhat in my weight loss goal!

4. Do more cardiovascular exercise to strengthen my heart. I have tachycardia (rapid pulse) and take a beta-blocker. While I may have to continue taking the beta-blocker indefinitely, I do realize that cardio will help my heart as well! (Plus it'll help my weight loss.)

So, what are YOUR goals? Feel free to share!

Excellent goals:)

brn