Handling hormones and sugar levels

I’m doing iui and using clomid and the trigger shot. Estrogen and progesterone. It feels like my blood sugars just jumps around. I’ll be high for a while then drops fast. Anyone else having reactions like that?

Yes - progesterone especially can mess things up (in my experience!)

I’m TTC too and while when I first came across this thread we were only tracking ovulation and optimizing timing, at this point we are planning to start with IUI, also with Clomid and Ovidrel trigger shot.

I was wondering if you could share some more details about your experiences. How many cycles did you do IUIs? Why did you decide to go that route? (To be honest, I am very conflicted about adding these medications, but at 37.5 I have no time to continue simply trying on our own.) Were you successful? What was the effect on your BG more specifically (highs, lows, unstable)? Anything you’d like to share, I will be grateful!

Thanks in advance, @Stephanie24!

@Stephanie24 - Not sure if you’re still dealing with what provoked this thread a few months ago, but I am looking for some T1D women who have had to take trigger shots.

I had a shot (Ovidrel = HCG) last month without any noticeable effect on my BG, but after I did this month’s last night, have been dealing with persistent super-high highs, which I NEVER normally have.

I’ve upped my basal, changed my site in the middle of the night and have been giving myself correction after correction – to no avail. I am at a loss and was wondering whether other women with T1D have had experience with HCG and what it was.

Sorry I didn’t see your other post.
I’m 37 as well. I did 3 cycles of iui. But two were canceled. I lost my right tube in an ectopic so when I ovulated on the right, they canceled my iui. The clomid made me gain weight and impacted me with insulin resistance. So I’m going back on metformin to help. The progesterone gave me high blood sugars too. I upped my basal 120% for pregnancy and with the progesterone.
I got pregnant on my last iui, but the test was negative. I got my period and kept bleeding, for 4 weeks, and while I was bleeding I got a positive test and they watched my hcg level. So I found out about my pregnancy during my miscarriage. Right after that we decided to do ivf, I immediately got pregnant again but it was a blighted ovum. I had a D & C. I’ve had 4 miscarriages and an ectopic so I wanted ivf so I would know it’s viable. During all my tests I found out that I have the MTHFR gene mutation, so I have to be on a baby aspirin and take folate instead of folic acid. Right now we are trying to get the money for ivf and I’ll let you know how that goes. I have been able to get pregnant but I never get a heart beat. it’s been hard and I don’t want to waste more time either. I kept looking at diabetes studies but I don’t think this is related to that. They say you can have a lot of miscarriages with diabetes but the miscarriage rate is like 20% which I think is average anyway.
As for you high blood sugars, take a pregnancy test.
In my experience if I have highs I can’t get down, I’m either sick or pregnant. I know I’m pregnant before the test because my sugars get high.

During iui, my sugars were hard to manage too. I gave myself a little slack with the hormones and tried to get the in control after the insemination. It was stressful.
My suggestion is to truly temp basals and just be prepared that you need a lot of insulin to get down again.

@Stephanie24, thanks for coming back to give me such a detailed response! Sorry to hear about your ongoing struggles. I would like to hear any future updates you decide to share (either on this thread or in PM).

This is our second consecutive month doing Clomid+HCG+IUI+progesterone. Thankfully the weird highs lasted only about 24 hours (and happened before or right at ovulation, so were unfortunately not a sign of pregnancy in that case). I am in the TWW as I write.

Best of luck!