Hello, Billing Department? Hello? (Click)

Does anyone else wish that Insulet's Billing Department was more...I don't know...competent?

I'm not perfect. Sometimes I don't pay a bill till I get the actual bill in the mail, or by email. That's life, it happens.

I have been on the Omnipod for about 18 months, and in that 18 months, they have only successfully sent me ONE bill. And just today I learned that I allegedly owe for a shipment from last November. The only reason I learned this was because I called in about my most recent shipment to ask a billing question; not because they sent me a bill for said shipment. (Incidentally, they are wrong about me owing from last November, but that's another issue altogether).

This seems to me, a most inefficient way to do business, and as the consumer in this scenario, it's both frustrating and a little scary to me that they operate in such a careless manner. I am also a little wigged out that they can cash a check for nearly $800 without crediting it to my account.

As with most of the posts on this page, I am venting primarily. Though if any other users have any tips on how they got their billing issues resolved, i'm all ears.

S

yes…I have had the same problem in the past! And I would like to take a couple hours of Insulets billng dept’s time to give them some advice (basic stuff, like keeping track of payments, sending receipts promptly, etc) I have had to call several times in the past as my bill got WAY out of line, I think because I have called to complain so often, they now have a “Steve D” file for all my prior problems, but thats ok with me as long as they keep it straignt. Just remember Sarah…be a squeeky wheel!

I have a HUGE problem with both Insulet and my insurance company. Way back when (13 months ago) I was told by both my insurance co. AND insulet that I’m covered 100%. Received a letter from my insurance co. that I owe 50% even though it’s in writing and I have names and taped phone calls to prove they said covered 100%. I sent a letter of appeal to my insurance co which is still pending but Insulet will not send me any more supplies until this whole thing is settled so I may have to go back on that pen which at one time I loved and now despise. Here’s the kicker… my insurance co. has NEVER paid a dime to Insulet and 13 months later it’s all surfacing. I’m truly not happy.

I got a bill this month (September) for a shipment this last January (9 months ago). I’d like to be able to tell them that, if they can wait 9 months to bill me, they should have to wait 9 months for the money. (Of course, I won’t, but ugh!)

I called and asked how soon I could find out what I owe for a shipment I received THIS week. The rep started talking about 15 days to process this and 30 more to process that, etc. I asked why it wasn’t more in line with other DME distributors with whom I deal and I pretty much got the “I don’t know, ma’am, it’s your insurance company” pass-the-buck kind of answer. They drive me crazy. I can’t even tell you what I pay for a shipment because I can’t ever get a consistent amount billed.

I, too, just got billed for a January shipment. I apparently asked the same questions as you; and I received the same answer that it was an insurance processing issue. I was confused as to why I was billed for a July shipment before being billed for the January shipment.

yup… I am going through a billing issue right now… $600? That is more than my original set-up. I am seriously considering going back to the shots, after 10 years on the pump. I am tired of the headache of dealing with getting my supplies and potentially having surprise bills that I can’t afford.

Just received a $650 bill today!

Maybe I’m unique. I have never had an issue with Isulet.

I’m glad for you and I hope you NEVER do have an issue with insulet because it’s a real pain in the butt when you’re told after 13 months of not paying that you owe 50% of the charges.

Same here. I’ve paid for the shipment I received in June. Or I thought that’s what I was paying for. At this point, who knows?

So half of my bill got waived, which is a huge relief. A few pointers I have (which may be redundant for some) is 1) tell your local rep and 2) write down every interaction with the company. I did this with health insurance a number of years ago at the advice of a friend, it really helped make progress when you have to call repeatedly. What I do is write down the time, date, and name of the person I am talking to. I jot down what the conversation was about, so when I call again I can reference this, and know what I have already discussed and when. It really helps me to not get flustered (which I easily do) and keep me focused on the topic. You can put bill stubs and everything in it so that it is a really easy way to flip through your records with whomever you are dealing with.

I have everything written down and I’m still waiting for my insurance company to get back to me after a letter of appeal. Insulet also sent them a letter of appeal and everything is pending. I’ll need another shipment soon so I have to let Insulet know soon if I still want their product either way. I try not to think about it all the time but I’m starting to dream that I’m using shots again. This is so awful.