Hello from Japan

I’m back in Japan. When I got back I did a stupid thing, I got pregnant and had a miscarriage. The first night I returned to Japan me and my boyfriend went out to dinner and came back to my house. My parents were working late, like all night. We had never done that before and only did it once. When I told my parents my step father was furious. He called me a bad name and my mother punched him in the mouth. Later she admitted that I was conceived before she married my father. When I had the miscarriage my step father was elated but me and my mother cried and mourned the loss of life. I had planned to keep and take the baby back to Hawaii and put it up for adoption.

I have been reading that type 1 diabetics are more likely to have miscarriages than normal people. I’m worried that I will never be able to have children because I will always have miscarriages. My diabetes was under good control. My last A1c was 6.6.

Good for your mother! And a very disappointing reaction from your step father. :disappointed:

From what I can see you are a very intelligent and perceptive young woman. I have no doubt that you realize even more in hindsight both why and what you would not want to repeat from this experience. Support and guidance are what is appropriate at this time, not insults.

I simply don’t know. But I don’t think it is as simplistic as that.

2 Likes

Many women have miscarriages. It does not have to be related to diabetes…and does not mean that you will not be able to carry full term in the future. As well, you don’t mention how old you are…but it may occur more easily in someone who is a teen.
There are many reasons for a miscarriage.
Having gotten pregnant does not make you a bad person. It happened.
Hugs.

3 Likes

@Linda_G is right, and I’d like to add, we have many many women here with type1 who’ve had successful pregnancies.

My mother has been fighting with my step father every since he called me a bad name. She blames him for me having a miscarriage. She thinks he gave me something to cause it. I don’t know of anything that would cause a miscarriage.

They won’t let me see my boyfriend, I’m not supposed to even talk to him at school. I do talk to him, he is so sorry he got me pregnant. If they found out about it at school they might expel both of us. We’ve been skipping out on my dancing class and his judo class. We go to an owl cafe and have tea and make out. He is the only diabetic I know and I feel so safe and happy with I’m with him.

I must be the unluckiest person in the world. I had sex one time for less than 10 seconds and I got pregnant. I’m 15, I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes last January when I was 14. The next time I have sex I’ll be married and hopefully a college graduate.

I guess the only way to find out is to get pregnant again. That won’t happen for a long, long time.