Help! I am so weak

My hubby made a big pan of bread pudding, complete with caramel sauce for a breakfast meeting tomorrow morning. It is sitting in my pantry screaming “CATHY, I know where you are”…

Add to that, there is a package of cheetoes that my son brought home to take to a movie night when he gets home from class at 9:00 — the cheetoes are in harmony with the pudding, singing the same song!

HELP!!! I am so weak.

I will NOT give in, I will NOT give in! I love me more than pudding or cheetoes.

Well remember…if you eat them, your husband won’t have them for his meeting, your son won’t have them for his party…

damn talking food. not to sound like an old horror movie but GET OUT OF THE HOUSE NOW!!!

Ooo, what a temptation.

You can do it, you can do it, you can do it.

Then tell him to take it out and put it in his d*mn car trunk. Seriously, you know you shouldn’t eat that stuff and if you had your way it would not be in the house. My wife loves to bake stuff, cookies, cakes. All that stuff. She knows I can’t eat it. If it is left laying out on the counter, I’ll go put it in the garage and stuff. She gets upset at me, that she and the family have to “accomodate” me and my diabetes. Well, before I was diagnosed, I would pretty much put everyone before me. But after I was diagnosed I realized, if I did not make myself a number one priority in certain ways, then I was going to have consequences.

You need to make it a priority to have foods that you can eat readily available and make sure that foods you need to avoid are not shoved in your face. Your family needs to help and if you explain it to them, I am sure they will. They can still have their treats, but they need to respect your needs and what you are going through.

Sorry, I can be a pain at times. Think about what it would be like to live with me.

Brian,

Sorry your wife isn’t more understanding. Maybe she can bake low carb goodies all can enjoy.

My husband was the chocolate chip cookie king at Christmas. His are the absolute best chocolate chip cookies I’ve ever had. He’d spend days baking 50-60 dozen (yes, 600-720 cookies!) for Christmas gifts. You could smell them down the street because the oven was going non-stop. A person could get a contact BG high just from the aroma!

Much to the dismay of his many cookie fans, the traditional bake fest stopped when I was diagnosed.

In truth (as you probably know), over time following a low carb diet, my cravings are greatly diminished. She can now bake her cookies and it does not bother me, we have moved on to other things which she has to accomodate. But my point is, this diabetes stuff is serious. It is truly hard to make these dietary and lifestyle changes. You need to make it a priority and enlist help. I’m sure that your husbands cookie fans curse the very day you got diabetes (just like you do). But we do need to make some compromises and sacrifices for our health, that’s just the way it is.

One cookie fan offered her kitchen. Carb cravings are minimal, but not against dozens of cookies cooling on racks & raw cookie dough bursting with chocolate.

haha. “contact high”… I always wonder about that? Like that time I went to New York City’s M&M store… walll to wall, floor to ceiling M&Ms. I was breathing very heavily when I stumbled back outside on the sidewalk. I thought I was going to pass out! And I dont even LIKE M&Ms. haha.

I swear I could taste the sugar in the air. Don’t go to Hershey, PA!

hello…i am new to this forum, but not new to diabetes…i have been surrounded by both kinds all my life…many family dead from it…i was dx’d a yr ago with type 2, but i knew yrs b 4 the dx…i worked to take control, what a laugh, cause there is only so much u can do…

that thing about eating everything in sight is an old frenemy…sometimes it’s so hard to refrain & sometimes i just say screw it, cause life has to b more about living than denying what u want most in the world at that moment…u have to learn to forgive ur self & deal with this moment, rather than what already happened…past is past!!..

now to how i try to control my blood sugar…i take fenugreek, it does help lower glucose, u just have to start out slowly, till u get a handle on how it works with u…

another thing that helps stave off those cravings, is l-glutamine…it’s an amino acid & when those cravings come on, u take it with a bit of fat, i use cream & drink it down…u can also put it under ur tongue & let dissolve slowly…i think i take abut 1/4-12tsp at a time…it works, too…

here’s another thing & it’s something i have never seen anywhere concerning this or any other autoimmune condition…STOMACH ACID has more to do with glucose metabolism than many people think…even dr’s don’t seem to know about this…

when there isn’t enough stomach acid production, a whole chain of events & chemical reactions take place in response…& they can go wrong easily…

when i found out about this, the diabetes issue was already in place…i was looking for something for my horrendously painful, nauseating stomach & intestinal issues…i read medical articles & have a way of navigating the net & somehow always end up where they r & available to the lay person…of course reading them can take days or weeks, cause they can b really hard to understand…& if u don’t understand, u r still ignorant & uninformed…

the article i read changed my life…i have many health issues & by the time i read this article & started using it, there was alot of damage that can’t b undone…but it does make my life better & i wouldn’t live w/o it…

the thing this article was about, was hydrochloric acid (HCl)…ur stomach is suppose to make enough of it, not only for ur digestion, but for the rest of ur body…it oxygenates ur tissues & blood, it stimulates ur white blood cells to increase & b more active, it digests & gets into solution all of the food, supplement & meds, so u get the most use out of them…u absorb so much more…it helps maintain mineral levels in ur blood, so ur heart & tissues can use it, not to mention ur bones…it kills bacteria & germs, it kills staff…it kills candida…this is truly a miracle of the body & it is suppose to b made in ur stomach…it helps to detox ur body & stimulate ur kidneys to get rid of those toxins…

& this article was written over 70yrs ago…it’s gone by the wayside because big pharma has such a long reach & vise-like grip…they have worked to hide this info from everyone & it has been shuffled to to very back of medical science…they can’t make any money on it, it’s really cheap…

so much of the talk these days is about how our bodies r too acidic…it’s everywhere…& many people, spend alot of money & time trying to raise the ph of their bodies…this is what’s happening…all of our food, supplements, water, everything, have elements that need to b in a lowered ph in our stomach, cause that’s what’s suppose to happen…lowering ph with the acid breaks every down…w/o food, the ph of our stomachs is suppose to b around 2-3, during meals it’s suppose to go even lower…everything we eat usually raises ph…but if the acid isn’t there, those elements that actually raise & maintain the ph of our blood & tissues, can’t get to where it needs to b…they r not assimilated, they get dumped…they all need to b in very small sizes, to b able to get thru the intestinal wall…& if the intestinal walls r inflamed it’s even worse…this leads to malnutrition diseases & conditions…

also, there r many waste acids created in our bodies from biological activity…when there isn’t enough oxygen, stimulation & the elements needed to keep ur organs working right, these waste acids build up…ur blood becomes pea soup with these wastes…the body tries to get rid of them, but usually when things like ur kidneys r sluggish, the body stores them in places where it can cause inflammation & damage over time…this is what happens with gout…i also believe that arthritis is causes by this to some extent…when the kidneys can’t get rid of wastes, not to mention things we take in that can make us sick, it’s a downward slide…& it’s not fast either…it can b agonizingly slow…

we get migraines, high blood pressure, gout, arthritis, diabetes, obese, skin issues, foggy brains & so many others, that anyone who lives with health issues would have to b blind not to realize what can happen, much less what is happening…

when the HCl is in short supply, the stomach over produces gastrin & or histamine…when u get too much gastrin, among other things, it causes many hormones to b either in short supply or over produced (gastrin is the beginning of some 40 hormones, i think, there r alot made from it, tho)…this is the beginning of many health issues…gastrin is the cause of so much stomach upset, that dr & adds tell u is too much acid & then they further reduce acid with their drugs…this is so bad…the gastrin is so powerful & causes so much pain & discomfort…histamine causes allergic reactions & the more there is, the more those allergic reactions get out of hand…

& the thing is, ur stomach keeps pouring out these things in an attempt to get more HCl produced…stomach acid production is lowered just from age alone…some people r born with diminished supplies & suffer all sorts of things…ibs starts here…stress causes the stomach to produce less…i think this is part of the flight or fight response to stress…it’s a way of sending blood flow to the extremities to save ur life…u wouldn’t want stomach acid in the stomach working on these things, when u need to get the hell out of dodge…digestion stops under stress…we were designed this way…

we all live stressful lives & so this can cause less acid…

i have many health issues & i try all the time to figure out which started what…u know, which came 1st, the chicken or the egg…i know it doesn’t really matter, but i’d like to know…i have children & loved ones…

anyway, just my input, but i lived this stuff for yrs & it was not pleasant…what i have learned has helped improve my life…but, i know for a fact that HCl lowers blood glucose…i found out by accident…

what i am talking about, is the liquid chemical, reagent or ACS grade, not betaine hydrochloride…betaine will help ur stomach make more HCl, if it’s capable of it…but if those cells that produce it r damaged, then it doesn’t do much…i took it for 8mos, b 4 i found the article…this chemical has to b handled carefully, but when diluted, it does the job really well…

there is much more to my story, but if this helps anyone, then i can expound…hope everyone gets the help they need…i was desperate, which was why i tried it…i was searching everywhere for help…many drs, too…

chris…

I do put many of the things that they bring home from work in the car trunk or a cooler in the garage. They are BOTH cooks for a living. The excuse was these are 2 for $1.00,well, I am one in a million, so take your pick.
I am a proud to say that the “talking” food is out of the house…dont care where it went, it’s just out, and I didn’t eat it.

Good for you!

you are not weak! you can do it! :slight_smile:

Hmmm…is he trying to kill you??? Just kidding :slight_smile:

I don’t know how your bs would respond to a handful of cheetos…mine could handle a handful…

The bread pudding would be plain ole poison…the cheetos too just a different kind…

Cathy - glad you managed to resist the food calling you - and you are not WEAK! :smiley: I know for myself, I don’t keep foods like this in my house. I’m not sure how good my willpower would have been if I was in your situation, you did the right thing to come here and let us all know (why haven’t I thought of doing this in the past???).

I live in a college dorm. There are delicious treats everywhere just begging o be eaten D: I feel your pain so much!
Whenever it gets to icky though I go on the morbid end though and look out a window and see the sky, and remember just how wonderful it is to see and how in twenty years I still want to be able to see the same sight.
Normally that works. However I have eaten burger king kids meals when it’s too much to sit there and watch everyone else eat it.

i have a thought…does ur family truly understand that for u this stuff threatens ur life??..truly can harm u??..if they don’t, then u ought to enlighten them…

a few yrs ago, when my husband was home on hometime from iraq, he likes to go to the corner donut shop, at least once each time he’s home…& u would bring me my favorite, w/o asking me if i wanted it…this is a great private donut shop, with the most delicious things in it…& of course mine was left for me to eat when i wanted to…i usually could resist for a few hrs, but it’s there, it’s in the house & all i can do is think of it…to tell u the truth, the car or garage wouldn’t b far enough for me, i’d go get them…

occasionally i’d get mad enough to tear them up & flush them, but most the time i ate them…

i finally told him, that i really needed him to ask me first, b 4 bringing stuff like that in the house…i was very serious & tried to explain how it was for me…

then this one time, during a really bad time, when things were out of hand, really, he did ask if i wanted anything & again i explained that this is my achilles heel & for me it’s true poison & “IF HE “TRULY” LOVED ME”, he would not temp me all the time…ask them if they want u blind, or crippled or on dialysis??, cause this is a real possibility…i know when i explained to my husband, i cried, cause it’s such a hard thing & very cruel to me, for him to do this type of thing…and u know what, it’s passive aggressive…

think about that…they tell u they love u & care about u, but then they do something like this, which can literally kill u in the end…& the dying part is not fast!!..my brother died this way…it ain’t pretty & it ain’t something, people who love u, should do to do…

i say, find a way to express how horrible it is for u, do what ever it takes…

sorry for the soap box…chris…

My family does understand…when I was diagnosed we all sat down and went through the basics and how important that it was that they help me with this. However, I don’t know how others do it, but I am not going to limit them to eating what I eat just because. So as the foods they bring in are not always the best for me, if it’s not on my shelf, then it’s okay. The Cheetoh night, it could have been the healthiest of snack foods, and I wouldn’t have been able to eat it, all my carbs were gone…and I just wanted them. P lain and simple. My family has become my best supporters and “police” but it’s still my responsibility to watch what I eat and keep track.

How do others handle family eats and your own eats? Especially with children in the home?

when my husband wants something that’s just not good for me & that i love, he eats it elsewhere…cause i cannot resist the crap…i also tell him, if he wants something & gets it with nuts in it, i will not touch it, so that helps…but still…

have u addressed any adrenal issues??..adrenals control blood glucose…it’s a very finely tuned system, between adrenals, thyroid & the pancreas…

when i’m stressed & i am hypoadrenal, i want to eat the stuff in the worst way…when i address the adrenals, it does make it easier & i can resist…not always, but more than otherwise…

also, do u have any digestion problems?..if so, i have some advice for that, too…

i have it all, hashimoto’s disease, hypoadrenia, hypochlorhydria, type 2 diabetes & to top it all off, systemic lupus…it’s is such a balancing act & sometimes, it just is too much…

let me know…