Help please diabetes recipes wanted

Ciao everyone,
I have completed my gestational diabetes manuscript and need original recipes.
If you would like to contribute, one or a few you are very welcome to do so. All recipes must be original only never published before. You will be given a byline, your email or website listed along with a free copy of the book as a thank you. The categories are as follows:

Appetizers and Beverages
Soups, Salads and Vegetables
Main Dishes
Meat, Poultry, Game and Seafood
Bread
Desserts and Pies

All recipes must be original never published before.
Send via email attachment, MS Word and if you have a picture of your recipe/dish please submit it via email jpeg file. All photographs must be of high quality and in color only.

Send to: briannamartini@yahoo.ca Subject line: TuDiabetes Recipes.
For advance review copies and preadvance orders please email
kevinbrownpr@gmail.com.

What do you call a ‘diabetes recipe’?
We all have different ideas on carb levels, whether to avoid fat or not, whether this food works or is horrible, etc… I’m not sure any recipe would suit all diabetics in general!

What kind of thing are you looking for?

Hello M,
Since I’m collaborating with a Doctor and certified nutritionist all recipes are geared towards diabetes. Each recipes will be tested twice and published in a chapter in the Gestational Diabetes guide. What exactly I’m looking for, recipes that have been created and tested by someone who has diabetes that can be published.
Feel free to ask me any other questions.
Brianna

I found this site that may be of use:
http://www.cookdojo.com/diabetic.tag

Southwestern Lasagna
10Servings/Serving size 1 Piece
1 pound 95% lean ground beef
1 teaspoon garlic
1 (16oz ounce) jar salsa
1 1/4 cups enchilada sauce
1 cup fat-free cottage cheese
1 large egg white, beaten
6 (6 inch) flour tortillas, cut into thirds
1 cup shredded reduced fat Monterey Jack cheese

1. preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. In a large nonstick skillet, brown the beef and garlic over medium heat until the beef is done. Drain any excess fat. Add the salsa and enchilada sauce. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
  3. In a small bowl, combine the cottage chesse and egg white. Coat a 13 x 9x 2inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
  4. Sprea a thin layer of meat sauce in the dish. Layer with half the tortillas, all the cottage chesse mixtur, half the remaining meat mixture, and half the cheese. Repeat layers, omitting the cottage chees layer and ending with the meat sauce. Sprinkle the remaining chees on top and bake for 30minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
    Calories 193 calories from fat 51
    Total Fat 6g Saturated fat 2g
    Cholesterol 32mg
    Sodium 597mg
    Total carbs 17g dietary fiber 1g sugar 4g
    Protein 18g
    I found this in the Holly Clegg’s trim&Terric Diabetic CookBook. It’s on the Diabetes.org. It’s different but good. My children even liked it…

I had a fellow member ask me for ideas for “diabetic-friendly” recipes. Here are my notes:
Here are some ideas:

1. Omelets work great for breakfast. If you can, use eggbeaters for a healthier version. Add some mushrooms, onion and pepper slices and sprinkle half a tablespoon of low-fat mozzarella cheese.
  2. Lunch ideas:
    a)i’m assuming that you have canned blackbeans. Drain the water, add some spice (cayenne, chili flakes), finely chopped onions, an egg, a teaspoon of cooked peas, a pinch of tabasco sauce, a pinch of Worcestershire sauce and mash together with half a cup of sliced mushrooms. Shape into burgers and cook on both sides in a skillet with a touch of oil (I use PAM spray).
    b)You can make an awesome chickpea salad. A can of chickpeas, a few sprigs of coriander, a few chopped mushrooms, half a chopped tomato, a tablespoon of crumbled hard cheese (any cheese you like). Sprinkle some fresh grated peppercorn, a teaspoon of lemon juice and half a cup of low fat yoghurt. Mix well and enjoy.
  3. You can also make a typical salad with salad greens, and add cucumber slices, walnuts and a pinch of vinegar and lime juice for a refreshing salad.
  4. For dinner, you can slice the zucchini,yellow squash,bell peppers and carrots into flat slices and grill them after coating then with a touch of olive oil. After grilling them on both sides, you can use a dipping sauce ( i like using buffalo hot sauce and low fat ranch) and enjoy them hot.
  5. You can also make stuffed peppers. Hollow out the green peppers. Use half a cup of black beans, a cup of finely blended chickpeas (or you can use hummus), carrot and celery finely chopped, a pinch of salt and spices and mix them all together and stuff them into the green pepper. Bake them in a pre-heated oven at 400 for about 20 to 30 minutes. I grill the peppers beforehand so the skin peels away. Before serving, top with some low fat mozzarella cheese and broil for a minute until the cheese melts.
  6. For dessert, chill (not freeze) the blueberries,blackberries,grapes along with low-fat yoghurt for about an hour. In a glass, first add the berries and grapes, then add the yoghurt. Sprinkle some splenda (or the sugar-free sweetner of your choice) and top off with some walnuts. Makes an awesome parfait. You can mix up the nuts for variation.

As always, consult your nutritionist, and make sure that you are within your allocated carb intakes while using these ingredients.

I have also started photographing some of the dishes that I make at home. You can find them at http://flickr.com/photos/sriram/tags/diabetes/

I took this idea from watching food network. I take ground turkey, make a patty, add onion, cheese on top of that, then make another patty, and put it on top of the first one so you have an inside out burger, making sure the sides of the two patties are sealed together and then throw it on the george foreman grill.

Hi, here one of my own

Vegetarian Leek and Mushroom Risotto

100g of Basmati Rice
1 Medium sized Onion (chopped)
2 ears of Garlic
250g of Fresh Button Mushrooms (chopped)
2 Large Leeks (sliced)
4tbls Olive oil
Vegetable stock cube
145ml of Single Cream
80g Grated Parmesan Cheese
Black Pepper (to taste)
Fresh Parsley (to garnish)
250ml - 500ml or water

Boil the Rice using the stock cube as flavour. Save some of the water when cooked.
Gentle fry the Onion, Mushrooms and Leeks in Olive oil adding the Pepper and Garlic in the process, cook until the Onion softens.
Add the cooked Rice, using the saved water from the Rice to stop the recipe from drying.
Add Cream and half of the Parmesan Cheese
Serve with the remaining Cheese and Parsley as a garnish

I sometimes add dried Jalapeño to add some spice and heat it up :o) …

I’ve used receipes from the dlife.com website. They have one that I make quite often for breakfast, it’s Cottage Cheese Pancakes. They have receipes for breakfast, lunch and dinner…check it out.