Help

Ice cream, really, I tried to defend him earlier. But ice cream in that situtation, really. A little sensitivity training might be in order. Still I don't think you should throw the baby out with the bath water

I definitely have moments of frustration with my GF and, more frequently, her family. She’s come to understand more about my BG and what my numbers mean, but for a while she was confused about what needed to be done for low BG and high BG, etc.

Ultimately, I came to realize that I’m the one living with diabetes and managing it. I’m the one who constantly thinks about carbs, ratios, and what exactly insulin does. Quite frankly, i had no idea about any of the details of insulin until I was diagnosed and I can’t expect anyone who doesn’t have diabetes to truly understand the nuances and details as we do. I try to involve her in my visits and she makes the effort to ask about my numbers and over time she has come to understand it better - but it’s probably taken more patience on my end than hers.

My frustration with her parents is more constant because they just don’t understand what carbs are and when I’ve tried to explain it I can just see it going through one ear and out the other. They mean well and are very supportive, but it leads to constant questions and confusion (assuming I can’t eat tomatoes, but offering me a huge piece of coffee cake, for example).

I’ve honestly just had to learn patience in my relationships and get past my frustration or self-consciousness (or both) and just say “no thanks.” when i need to. I can’t control how they feel or if they think my diet is weird - I do what I can to explain things but I can’t let their attitudes/behavior influence or affect me and I certainly can’t expect my needs to affect their habits or those of anyone else around me.

As long as I know they mean well and are making an effort, it’s all I can ask of the people in my life - i live with this disease and will always have more to learn about managing it (both the BG and the emotions). Those who don’t have diabetes on their mind 24/7 will ALWAYS have questions and that’s just one more facet we have to deal with. Not that all the other aspects aren’t enough to manage on their own! :slight_smile:

Haha it wasn't for me, it was for him.. I do a lot of the cooking as well, buy he never seems to eat it. He likes the fast food, or microwave dinners as opposed to the lentils and pasta that I like.. But thanks for the input.

I am learning more and more that I am the one who truly has to deal with this. I get so excited when my levels are okay and then so utterly depressed when they aren't. I was just put on gabapentin and clonizapam (don't remember the spelling on either) but I don't know. I'm still anxious and moody and worried. I checked my dog's blood level the other night cause I'm starting to get obsessed.

Let's imagine you do not have T1 but a wheel chair? Do you want your boyfriend to never use his legs again out of sympathy? You are the one that has T1 diabetes. You are the one with problems to accept her faith. You are in denial and that is the point here. This might sound offensive and I am sorry for that. But my example shows how ridiculous the situation really is.

My wife can pretty much eat what she wants. It is not my business and I know that it will not be good for me. She sits on the couch next to me eating the best things in the world. I would do that too but this is the card I have been dealt with. I just thank god that it is not a wheel chair. Better learn to accept it instead of trying to change other people. It will not work that way.

That seems to be a pretty decent way of looking at things. I agree that I should be doing something like that but I feel.... Betrayed or something. I'm working on it..

Have you ever listened to a speech by Aimee Mullins? I find it truely empowering to listen to her. I hope you will like it too.

Yeah - if everything in my life is going smoothly one day, I can take some funky numbers in stride. If the stuff's hitting the fan at work, etc. and I get a bad number, it's tough to keep things in perspective at times.

At the very least it's nice to be able to get on here and have a chance to talk to some people who understand what it feels like!