Helping the diabetes community affected by Harvey

Anyone knows of a responsible organization that is accepting donations for the PWD’s affected by Harvey?

I have tons of syringes, alcohol swap and some other supplies I could donate.

2 Likes

I saw a post on Facebook from JDRF - sounds like they are awaiting instructions from the Red Cross.

1 Like

I have heard on Twitter that insulin is in very short supply in the area.

It’s been a number of years since I did some publicity photography for the Red Cross. But I got the impression that charities that respond to disasters like this work much more efficiently with cash donations. Long before the disaster strikes, they have set up distribution channels and suppliers that can provide exactly what is needed, where it’s needed. It’s a whole different project to be accepting donations of supplies from all across the country, staging them somewhere and then distributing them appropriately. A check to the Red Cross or other disaster charity serves people better and faster than sending supplies.

2 Likes
4 Likes

Dr. Stephen Ponder seems to be organizing the collection of supplies, although this may only be applicable to those near him. There are a few related posts on his Facebook page.

2 Likes

Here’s the number from Lilly if meds are lost/destroyed. The Lilly Answers Center at (800) 545-5979.

Red Cross Disaster Services will sometimes accept donations of cash on behalf of a specific hurricane. The specifics of donating medications and medical supplies may or may not be possible. I think that, in general, Disaster Services sends nurses and sets up MASH units. They send some really, prestigious local nurses from our area, ones that are old army medics, ones that have much better avenues of obtaining supplies, probably, than what we can provide. (That’s my best guess).

@Lorraine, you should ask Dr. Ponder if he needs insulin and syringes. If so, people who have them could FedEx to a PO Box near him.

If anyone identifies a need and an address and a recipient to mail supplies to, you should post.

Here is a pretty complete post:

https://beyondtype1.org/help-for-those-affected-by-hurricane-harvey/

2 Likes

Just published this news roundup on DiabetesMine, about the many different Disaster Relief Efforts for the Diabetes Community impacted by Harvey. Urgent Need for Insulin and Diabetes Supplies in Wake of Major Storms

4 Likes

Thanks, @Michael_Hoskins for sharing! Happy to see you around!

*waves (hi Mila!!!) :slight_smile:

1 Like

here is a Facebook page that was started by some PWDs but has expanded to other areas of concerns

https://www.facebook.com/groups/HurricaneHarveymedicalsupplies/?multi_permalinks=734357486772418&notif_t=group_activity&notif_id=1504480001801993

This is the link to the statement by Lilly on their corporate efforts regarding the Hurricane areas:

This is the official statement from Lilly about how to deal with insulin issues in the hurricane areas.

You are doing great work. The people suffering from hurricane are suffering both mentally and emotionally. Emergency readiness is essential for every individual, though patients dealing with diabetes must give this topic additional attention. One can read this post here, and know how the people are showing their humanity to help the victims. I will also suggest you to join NGO to save the humanity.

1 Like