How can you help people with diabetes from disaster-struck areas in the US Midwest?

The past month weather has been brutal across the US Midwest states, from Minnesota down to Oklahoma. When tornadoes (or other disasters) strike, devastation follows and with it, many people with diabetes may be left without the essentials to survive.

If you live in one of the areas affected by the tornadoes, please let us know about you: how are you doing? (just found two members, Tasha Sims and Debbie, who live in Joplin, MO).

If you can afford to help people with diabetes affected by the tornadoes, here are links to a few groups that are collecting donations:

Finally, if you have excess supplies or insulin at times when disaster has not striken, please consider these options to donate them.

Thanks Manny for this post. Conditions in Joplin look devastating and the local hospital was badly hit. We have another round of dangerous storms moving through this afternoon and evening. Given all that has happened in the past month…I keep a bag w/ all my important DB stuff in it with me…slept w/ it in bed last night. I cannot imagine not having my meter, CGMS, extra pump sets, insulin, and glucose…not to mention BP meds, etc. at the ready.

Last month the community just east of us was hit by a tornado that bounced around and took out several houses. This was minor in comparison to destruction in South St. Louis Co a few months ago and then the destruction in North County St. Louis, including at the airport, just a few weeks ago. We definitely are getting more violent and frequent storms. The scarey part is that they are unpredictable. The accounts from Joplin suggest they only had minutes to respond…sky blue, minimal warnings and then the tornado struck. Highlights the need to have a plan and place to seek refuge…preferably w/ supplies.

I have a lot of long-acting insulin stored up just in case my pump fails…may be a good idea to always have a backup option and syringes on hand.

My heart goes out to those suffering at this time. I definitely will look at how to help via the links you provided.

Manny, thanks for the links. I hope the 2 members in Joplin are ok. On CWD, one of the members’ home in Joplin, was totally destroyed, but they are fine. A very frightening account of which she wrote.

My area (west KY) is a # 9 on the weather channel TorCon scale, for today. We are in the highest risk area. I’m preparing my 'betes stuff plus other meds now. I have one room (main bathroom) with no windows, and 2 closets with no windows. One of those 2 closets, is on the side where we could potentially be hit, as is the master bathroom. I’m hoping they let the kids out of school early. My youngest grandson (7) may be on the bus going home, about the time the storm is to start here. The two teenagers will already be home. I’m trying not to be scared, and my Bg has already started climbing, from the stress of this; and right now, I also have some stress, from some minor (?) heart issues.

Stay safe everyone in the high risk area. Thoughts and prayers for all already affected, and those that may be.

Trisha

Hi Manny - have a friend in MA, that has lots of Lantus / Levemir - and she’d asked me if I knew any Americans that needed insulin (she knows I have alot of diabetic mates north of the border ). I saw this discussion - and have sent her a link - hopefully she’ll be able to view all the information you’ve provided here - without signing up as a member - and be able to distribute her insulin to all those need it. I often wonder how I’d fair in a disaster, I don’t stock up on insulin / BG strps like many Americans seem to do - I only purchase when I have used up the last drop of insulin and / or strip for blood testing. Hmmm, maybe time to change my way of thinking after having diabetes for almost 1/2 a century???

Trisha - stay safe / healthy - we’re thinking of everyone south of the border from us here in Canada - what our TV news shows only a fragment of the real stories happening out in your neck of the woods.

Stay safe, Trisha!!!

Manny, and FCAnna,

It was wild, but we are ok, as is our family - 7 miles from us. In our neighborhood, we had winds 80 mph, and rain like I’ve not seen in a very long time. No tornadoes, although we were under tornadoe warnings. There were two funnel clouds across town. I’ve heard that both of those touched down, but don’t know for sure. Our sirens were malfunctioning, stopping and starting again. I was so scared that my heart was pounding big time. This storm / tornadoe warnings went on for an hour or so.

We have some damage, but won’t know the extent of it till daylight. A huge branch, is on top of the roof, over our bedroom. A 5 foot 5 inch across branch, hit my husband’s truck and the mailboxes. He was parked in front where I usually park. He said if it had been my car there, I wouldn’t have a car left. His almost mint condition, 1983 Dodge Ram truck, is all steel, and he didn’t detect any damage in the dark. Lots of other minor type damage in our yard, and on our block - all five houses. We will know more in the morning. But everyone is ok! Far as I know right now, no injuries no deaths in our town and county. Not sure yet, about the rest of our region. I’ve not heard anything, other than loads of damage.

Thanks guys! It is appreciated.

Trisha

I do not have extra diabetic supplies to shate with anyone, but I am a Red Cross volunteer and I am a Dispatcher for them and work 6 hours at a time. Anywhere from 4 to 6 evenings a week. It is my job to get people out to the homes that have been affected by fires or tornadoes in our part of Georgia.