How Many Carb Ratios

How many carb ratios do you use throughout the day?

TWO: Nighttime, and 10AM until midnite.

Two, one for the first meal at mid-day and another for my second meal in the early evening.

I have several (day, evening, nighttime), and I also have different ratios for the weekend than I do for the workweek.

I have four, three that vary with meal times to help control rise after my meals and one that is for midnite to 6:00 AM.

Two: 6am-10am and then the remainder of the day.

I’m confused. Do you mean how many times you use insulin, or do you mean how many times you eat carbs. Sorry, please explain. Thank you.

Carb ratio is the amount of 1 unit rapid acting insulin needed to cover 1 gram of carbohydrate consumed.

In the morning I am more insulin resistant to 1 unit of insulin covers 2 grams of carbohydrates for me. After 10am, 1 unit of insulin will cover 3 grams of carbs for me.

Every body and everybody’s diabetes is different :slight_smile:

Thx. I think this needs to be discussed more. I understand everyone is different, but I was told 1u for every 15 carbs, maybe 12. Things is though if my sugar is high I take anywhere from 3 to 10 u of insulin like nothing. My goal is to eat without having to count carbs or think about what I’m eating.

Two. I produce a bit of endogenous insulin that pretty regulary kicks in around dinner time, so I can use less insulin per carb from 5pm-7pm.

I was using four and have now dropped it to one.

I pretty much use just the one throughout the day. 1u to 10 carbs.

Um, it’s not really possible to not count carbs one way or the other. You’ll need to count to calculate a dose…or do old school where we took a precise prescribed dose and used an “exchange system” diet to basically eat the same number of carbs daily. Sorry, I know it sucks.

I asked because I wondered what was unreasonable. I am using a 670G pump on automode and was trying to use my carb counts to influence the insulin I was getting in micro-boluses.

My NP and the endocrinologist was just not okay with me managing it that way and reduced it to one ratio all day…but I am very concerned I’m going to run amok. (I had 3, but it ended up being 5 settings because I’d switch from pre to post meal at lunch and dinner.)

BTW, I had a lot of labs done and apparently I produce no insulin at all. So I’m not supposed to need more than 1, but I know I produce a lot of cortisol and glycogen, because stress can drive me up 300 points within a half hour.

Yeah I know, but certain diets where foods such as rice, bread, pasta are eliminated and replaced with nuts and vegetables I think would dramatically decrease carbs. I think it’s more of a digestion issue which makes it difficult. Fruits also are natural sugars which are better for digestion. Just my opinion, but I went 3 months eliminating all complex carbs from my diet, and my a1c’s were dramatically improved and the amount of insulin I took was less relevant to controlling my sugar levels. It’s tough though to stick to especially when people around you do not eat the same way; ie grocery bills, cooking time, eating out, families, etc.

Hi J1112, I have just started restricting my complex carbs and I have found that I’m able to get off of my metformin medication which makes me very happy. I think I will try to stay on this way of eating even if there occasions where I slip up. I can always go back to being strict for a few days. Who knows maybe I’ll even be able to cut down the insulin after I loose weight.

I eat about 300 carbs and usually use 23 units of total insulin, so about 1 unit for 13 carbs. This changed drastically when I went from a very low carb diet to a low fat plant based way of eating. I only eat healthy carbs, make no insulin and have had type 1 diabetes for 60 yrs. I also ride my exercise bike 10 miles a day.
I just love eating this way!

My carbs consist of lots of fruit, potatoes, lentils, beans, vegetables etc.

I used to eat 30 carbs a day and use 17 units of insulin. Quite a difference.

What do you at Thanksgiving, Marilyn? Will you eat dressing and all the trimmings? :slight_smile:

That is great! It really is. And there are so many great recipes and ways to think about that. I hope you do stick with it and it works out great for you. I am trying to get back with it fully, yeah I guess I’m kind of the same, it seems I go a few days and then I you know eat something I shouldn’t. But I want to get back on it and stick with it. I really had good results with it. Lettuce for burger buns, celery soup, broths, cheese, nuts, veggies veggies veggies, all very very beneficial for us. Wish you the best thanks.

Oh no Dave. We don’t eat any animal products and use no oil of any kind. Very few nuts on only special occasions.

I thought the food we had at Thanksgiving this year was pretty bland, but I chose better recipes for Christmas and quite enjoyed it. We even made a special pie with dates. It was great! I did have to use a bit more insulin to cover, but it was a good dinner. I am having the pie again for my birthday, but then it will be Thanksgiving until we indulge again.